Need Ideas For A Centerpiece Fish For My 29 Gal. 29 Gallon Tank

1. Over It Well Known Member Member

I need some suggestions for a centerpiece fish for my 29 gal tank. I currently have 20 or so male Endlers (will be selling most of them or all) Currently 7 Corydoras, but hopefully 10 by later today. Amano Shrimp, 1 Bumbleebee Female Platy and would like to add some of my RCS to the tank once they are larger.

What's a nice centerpiece fish that would work well with the stock I currently have or want to have? I was thinking maybe a male Swordtail, but I'm not sure if that would work or not.

Here's a pic of the tank if it helps. cd4994a11a6bf4d546d38fc4f04997c2.jpg

Oh and the Betta pictured is going to a new home. Just found out he's killing my Amano Shrimp.

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What about a Bolivian Ram?

3. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Rams are a good idea.
    What about a Peacock Gudgeon, or a Gourami?

4. Over It Well Known Member Member

I want a Peacock Gudgeon so bad! I found a store that might have them, but all of the stores in my area having been getting in their shipments like they are supposed to so I don't know if I can get one.

I'll have to look up Bolivian Rams.

Bolivian Rams are Gorgeous! A lot like GBR's which I love. I might have to see if I can find one. Should it be ok with my Shrimp?

5. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

They should be fine with shrimp.

6. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

How about a honey gourami?

A bolivian ram is a great idea, I love my bolivian. So peaceful with loads of personality.

I would not do a male swordtail as he could breed with your platy. If you wanted a male sword (and didn't care about hybrids) you would need to get another female sword or female platy for the male female ratio.

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What about Apistogramma borelli, the umbrella cichlid?

8. Over It Well Known Member Member

I was actually gonna ask about Honey Gourami's. They look really pretty.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions! They were great, but I ended up just getting 3 more female Platys. I got 2 high fin and 1 regular.
    All of the other fish mentioned I found out I would have to get at a store where I am positive they have/ or had fish with Columnaris. That's just something I can't risk. Hopefully the Platys will add a nice splash of color and I already have tons of experience with them so hopefully it'll go well.

9. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

I just got one myself, they are great.
    Peacock Goby is one of my favorites in my tank. That's why I reccomended them.

10. Over It Well Known Member Member

Would a small school of Celestial Pearl Danios work? Or some of the smaller Tetras?
    I really like the Peacock Gudgeon still, but I'll have to see if I can find one from a reliable source.
    I'm remembering why I sold all of my other Platys and only kept my sweet little Bumbleebee.

I also really like the look of the Umbrella Cichlid, but I don't have any in my area. I might have to check out that store and see what they have and what condition the fish are in. I know that's most likely the only place I can find a lot of these, but I will call around tomorrow.

Could I do a female Swordtail? I love the look of them, but I want a peaceful tank above all else. This tank is in my room and the last thing I wanna see is fish fighting or trying to eat each other.

11. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What type of cory do you have?
    Yeah a female swordtail would be fine but they don't have the sword that the males have.

12. Over It Well Known Member Member

I have Sterbai and False Julii. I'm keeping my tank at 76 F.
    I really like the Bolivian Rams. Do you think one of those would be the best bet if I could find one?

The Platys I just got are already picking on the Cory Cats so they have to go. I wish I would have just remembered why I sold all of my other Platys before, but I had hoped they'd be different this time.

13. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

A bolivian ram should be fine. Keep in mind though that it will stay near the bottom of the tank.

14. Over It Well Known Member Member

One more question if you don't mind. I can't find any Bolivian Rams would a German Blue Ram or a Honey Gourami work?

Scratch that. I just looked up German Blue Rams and I don't think they'd do well in my tank. I really wish I could find a Bolivian Ram. Also no Umbrella Cichlids in my area.

15. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What cichlids do you have available in your local stores?

16. Over It Well Known Member Member

Well they have Peacocks, and convict, electric yellow? and assorted. I have no idea what that means. I'm going to go to the other store in a little bit.
    Which ones should I check to see if they have them?

17. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

None of those would work. Look for smaller cichlids like rainbow cichlid, kribensis, etc.

18. Over It Well Known Member Member

I'll see if I can find a Rainbow Cichlid.

19. Over It Well Known Member Member

How about a Dwarf Gourami? I think it's the Colisa lalia or Neon Blue?

20. Over It Well Known Member Member

Sorry one last question. Could I keep a female Jewel Cichlid with the Cory Cats if I didn't add the Cherry Shrimp?