Need ideas for 110g stock tank pond for covered back deck

Islandvic

I am looking for ideas and for pictures of any members back yard ponds made from plastic stock tanks that it at ground level or on a patio/deck.

I am considering making a "pond" for our covered back deck out of a 110 gallon stock pond from Tractor Supply Co.

The 110g stock tank from TSC is 53" long, 36" deep and 20" tall according to their website.

The purpose of this build is to give a home to all the SA/CA cichlids my friend needs to get rid of. If I had the room in our house, I would get a 180g tank for these fish. Unfortunately, with our current 55g, 65g and 75g tanks we are out of room already!

The deck is covered and is shaded from a huge oak tree as well, so it wont get direct sunlight. The area it would go is about 8ft wide and can be up to 4-5ft deep.

I want to built a 2x4 frame around it so a sitting area is around the perimeter of the stock tank's edge, and possibly trim it all out with cedar pickets that are stained.

To insulate the stock tank, I am picturing boxing in the tank below the lip with 1/2" or 3/3" rigid foam board and filling up the space with cans of expanding foam.

I live in South Texas so it doesn't really freeze here. If it does, it will freeze for a couple of hours and rarely for more than 1 or 2 days straight. Winters are usually 50f with sporadic weeks of temps in the 40's.

I am open to any design to surround the stock tank, so please give your suggestions.

For filtration, I am considering either a canister + sponge filters, or sponge filters + a DIY system where a pump is in the tank feeding an elevated 5-gallon bucket or large rubbermaid container that dumps back into the pond.

The deck is elevated about 18"-20" off the ground, so if I go the canister route it will sit below the stock tank.

If I go with an elevated DIY filter with a bucket or Rubbermaid container, there will be room on the side where it can be framed out and trimmed with the cedar pickets, with removable "doors" so everything can be accessed for maintenance. This way, the filtration will be hidden from view except for the return chute dumping water back into the pond.

Also, I plan on running power to pond area with a dedicated GFI outlet .

I am asking from the members any suggestions, recommendations and idea for this project. Please let me know how your above-grade pond builds went, what you learned from the experience and especially what you would have done different!

I'm performing my due diligence now, so as not to get half way through the build then come up with a new idea or design.

As for the stocking, it will be a mix of SA/CA fish my friend is giving me. He has a way overstocked 75g that he is going to convert to a saltwater grow-out tank for coral and fish to go into his 150g SW show tank.

His 75g has a mixed stocking with SA/CA and African cichlids. Most of his Mbuna and Peacocks ill go into our 55g African tank. The ones I dont want in the 55g will go into the pond.

Here are pics he sent me of some of the SA/CA ciclids he is going to give me, though a couple will end up in my 75g SA/CA tank in our den. There will be other fish he has to give me, but these are the main ones ....

Red Terror ?

20200622_223619.jpg

Convict

20200622_223549.jpg

I think a Cuban ?

20200622_223532.jpg

Red Terror (he called it a Red Mayan), unknown male Mbuna that will go into our 55g African tank, and a Red Texas

20200622_223448.jpg

I think a Green Terror, a Starry Night Paratalapia Bleekeri (yes I know it's an Afrcian) and the Red Texas

20200622_223335.jpg

Electric Blue Texas and Red Texas

20200622_223423.jpg

I think a Cuban...

20200622_223232.jpg

Vieja

20200622_223156.jpg

Electric Blue Texas and Red Texas

20200622_223136.jpg

The Red Terror , or what he called a Mayan Red Terror

20200622_223116.jpg

Again, I know this is an odd stocking for a pond, but I dont have any other way at the moment to permanently house these cichlids my friends needs to re-home.

Thanks for your input !!

FitSoldier

No idea on the pond, but wow, those are some nice fish!! Is picture number 5 a Black Diamond Polleni in the back?

Upvote 0

Islandvic

FitSoldier , Ha. I had to google black diamond pollen, I didn't realize it was another name for the "Starry Night " paratalapia bleekeri!

I think it's the biggest fish in his tank, I am sure it's worth more than I would pay retail for !

Upvote 0

FitSoldier

FitSoldier , Ha. I had to google black diamond pollen, I didn't realize it was another name for the "Starry Night " paratalapia bleekeri!

I think it's the biggest fish in his tank, I am sure it's worth more than I would pay retail for !

My LFS has a large, fat 10" one being sold as "P. Polleni Black Diamond Cichlid". I didn't know they were also called Starry Night.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Celestialpearl
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
LHAquatics
  • Flowingfins
  • Ponds
13 14 15 16
Replies