Need Id & Remedy, Algae/s

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by greengoddess, May 25, 2019.

1. greengoddess

greengoddessNew MemberMember

Hi all. This stubborn algae is back on my sword - previously, I manually removed it using a soft toothbrush (as gently as possible, but man that stuff is like plaque!) Now I've got this other stuff... my SO theorizes a mycelia hanger-on from crape myrtle driftwood I previously had in the tank, but removed as it was still leaching tannins, making my pretty betta girls' colors not as visible.
    Tank: 29gal tall, in an armoire, ie., no sunlight
    Lighting: 11w Nicrew LED, 6-8 hrs/daily
    Filter: Set to low-flow - Aquaclear 30 outfitted with sponge media (fine & coarse,) biohome media, carbon
    Cleaners: Nerites; manual
    Fertilizer: Flourish, when I think about it; definitely not weekly
    Airstone: set to low
    Parameters: A-OK; regular water changes

Attached Files:

2. FishyJ

FishyJNew MemberMember

The only way I was able to rid myself of algae on my plants was adding an Amano Shrimp (biggest one I could find). He's a great cleaner. I don't know how one would fair with a betta. I've done ghost shrimp with a male betta and they survived (until they decided to jump ship). I've also heard more plants can help, that they compete for nutrients the algae use. (but also note I'm still pretty new at this). Could be something to look into.

3. OP
    OP
    greengoddess

Cherries do alright with my male betta; the amano and ghost, well... ghosted? I still have a glimmer of hope that I'll catch sight of just one of the several shrimp I added to my betta sorority (I'm pretty sure they became a tasty protein snack in short order.) I am curious though, for an ID on these nasties.

4. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Place some root tabs under the sword and prune off dead damaged leaves . It should come back to being happy .
    The other algae could be fertilizer related also .Not enough ?
    Do you use any ferts ?

5. OP
    OP
    greengoddess

Flourish, but again, infrequently. The sword seems otherwise happy; in fact, it's sent off a crazy shoot (like a flower spike) that within days was above the water level of my 29gal tall! I just wish I knew where this stuff is coming from.

6. coralbandit

Just try to incrementally increase your flourish use .
    Many algae grow when plants can not out compete them..

7. OP
    OP
    greengoddess

Ah. Good point. I'm actually a Master Gardener, and know this about terrestrial plants (weak plants>diseases, etc.) Why I didn't think of this re: aquatic plants, lol. One more question: My sword has an extensive root system (sand substrate.) It's in my 29gal tall, which means in-place pruning is a nightmare; however, I'm concerned that pulling it out and disturbing the sand could risk releasing possible trapped toxic gases. Should I be?

8. coralbandit

I would not try to pull it out . It is probably a little worse then just re potting a land plant .
    They make crazy scissors and tools for the aqua gardener !

You mostly just need long scissors ..

I am really just a fish guy !