Need honest opinions please??

1. orbelina Member Member

After a few months of messing around with different tanks (not through choice just circumstances) I have ordered a 180 litre tank to combine all the fishies (as far as I know they are all compatible though obviously the fighters will be in different tanks on there own)
    So I need honest opinions on cycling this tank do I go the fishless/ammonia route that may take weeks....or try tss and my three hardy little harlequins who have taken everything I've thrown at them??
    I have just read the fishless cycling thread on here and its the only one that I have ever been able to understand lol... I know its the preferred method but in reality how long might it actually take?
    I'm so stressed with having all these different tanks to look after and I just want one large cycled community tank to look after (again apart from my two fighters but they are sorted either way)
    Please help me make the right decision :confused:

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

TSS if I'm not mistaken is an instant cycle. I've never personally used it so hopefully someone will come along that has.

As for your cycle. Generally I believe a cycle can take 6+ weeks. Just depends on how you're doing it.

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Take the filter media from the two tanks that it appears you are combining. Put media into the new tank's filter. Fill with water, move the two tanks of fish into it and voila, instant cycle.

4. orbelina Member Member

Now why didn't I think of that lol ..thanks lyndab *facepalm* :rolleyes:

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

It's easier to use common sense on something like this when you're not the one involved.

It's kind of like when my husband put a new window fan in. He moved the screen up, placed the fan just right, turned it on and he's calling to me saying "this isn't working, why isn't it drawing air in?" I went and looked..... he still had the storm window down..... :;laughing

6. orbelina Member Member

Would it still be possible to remove the old media after a few days and put it back in the fluval as my dad is having the 60l tank and will need the filter? Or would that mess up the cycle in my new tank?

7. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

A few days would not be long enough to get bacteria growing in the new filter, you would need to leave the old media for atleast 4 weeks, and even then if you remove it watch for a mini cycle. Is it possible to get new media for your dad and recycle that tank, or does he need the cycled media right away?

8. lottienr1 Initiate Member

Or give him half and you replace your with half a bew one?

9. orbelina Member Member

So when my new tank comes fill with gravel deco etc fill with dechlorinated water wait for it to come up to temp and make sure new filter is working (its a juwel tank so the filter is built in) then if I take one side of the media from the fluval and put it in with my new filter....replace that with new into the fluval and get it to my dad asap....both tanks will be instant cycled is that right??
    It will have to be done fast as my dad is having my 60l tank aswell as the filter...

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm a little confused. Will you be leaving any existing filter media in the fluval? Or, are you taking half, Dad's taking half and the fluval has all new?

11. orbelina Member Member

Half to me the other stays in and fill the part I have with new and the whole filter goes to my dad so it will still have half of it with cycled media in it

12. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

So basically your father is taking that tank?

13. orbelina Member Member

Yes he is having the tank and the filter as an upgrade from his fluval edge...

14. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

TSS is a cycle jumpstarter. It may still take a week or 2 to completley cycle.