Need High Light For Tall Tank...

Fresh1221

Heya, I have a 45 gal Tall planted aquarium. I have Myrio green, Cabomba, Anacharis, small bits of Brazilian Pennywort and some Java moss in it. I USE TO have dwarf baby tear but NO light reached it on the bottom. I'm currently using the Marineland LED Advanced strip 36". The box claims its brighter than 2 LumI bulbs but the bottom of some of my plants are browning. I think its from not enough light getting deep enough. I'm also NOW noticing there are no labels on the Marineland box stating anything involving PAR, watts per gal or anything. Payday is coming up and I was thinking of swapping to the Finnex 24/7 36". Would that be a better light for reaching the bottom of a tall tank? Are there any other suggestions for lighting? Also one last bit if the standard is 2 watts per gal then I'd need a light that uses 90 watts? Is that what that means?

This is it...
View media item 237465

OnTheFly

The wattage guide is an estimate. As you know tank height trumps that. I can't offer suggestions but a proposed budget will help others assist you. There are very inexpensive options on ebay and some put out good light. Imported lights of course.

Fresh1221

Thank you for responding. Lets say 300.00 for a budget. I'd like to be able to go pick it up IF I can... curse the mail and its delivery times. If not, then ordering it is fine.

TexasDomer

If you want to try dwarf baby tears again, I might go with the Finnex Ray 2 or Monster Ray. How tall is the tank?

Fresh1221

The measurements are 36"L x 12"D x 24"H

If you want to try dwarf baby tears again, I might go with the Finnex Ray 2 or Monster Ray. How tall is the tank?
Just checked out that light... the physical look is amazing. would I need two or just one?

TexasDomer

Just one for the low or medium light plants:

Looks like the Ray 2 would be better than the Monster Ray at that depth.

If you're not injecting CO2, I wouldn't go with high light.

Fresh1221

Just one for the low or medium light plants:
Finnex RAY II & FugeRAY PAR Data - The Planted Tank Forum

Looks like the Ray 2 would be better than the Monster Ray at that depth.

If you're not injecting CO2, I wouldn't go with high light.

If by injecting you mean pouring it in once daily, then yes. Fert once a week.

TexasDomer

No, that is not the same as injecting CO2. What kind of ferts are you using?

I would avoid high light unless you specifically injecting CO2 (not dosing with a liquid).

Fresh1221

Does dosing require special equipment? For my plants I Petsmart suggested CO2 Booster and Leaf Zone both made by API. The CO2 I add daily, the Leaf Zone once a week.

TexasDomer

Dosing ferts does not require special equipment. Injecting CO2 does.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ECatch
Replies
Views
Henri
Replies
Views
outlaw
  • Question
Replies