Need helping picking an airpump

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I'm trying to pick out anairpump . Tetra whisper is suppose to be quiet, works, looks nice and I found it fir a good price at local store but I have questions...

When the power goes out I know I can get a battery air pump from like
A bait shop but I heard that there are ones that plug in and switch to batterys when they detect the outage what pumps do this and do the run in reg electricity the rest of the time? How good are they? I dint know how to choose...I already have everything but the pump I think...

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bait shop air pumps are noisy as all get out IMO.... but if your fine with that, then look for the portable pumps that have an A/C adapter plug, it should be stated in a list of features. They do sell a number of aquarium models designed specifically for power outages such as this one () and they are typically pretty cheap, just about as cheap as a bait shop pump would be in fact. I cant really attest to the quality of pumps like that because I personally have never owned one, although if you want my opinion, in most cases your fish will be fine during a power outage as long as it you dont have constant power outages lasting several hours. Ive forgotten to plug my filter back in once or twice after a water change, and the fish seemed to be completely fine for a number of hours until I noticed my mistake. Some fish are however more sensitive to low oxygen levels, but in an appropriately stocked aquarium, I dont really see a necessity for a back up pump. Just my opinion though

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! the bait shop pump was a really a quick cheap fix in case of an emergency kind of thing better than nothing ya know. lol I recently did have power outages twice. One was for several hours, one was for over 4 days before that I hadn't had a power outage in like forever but the fact that I live in Florida and not only is hurricane season just about here but I live in a rural area and ''small'' storms can knock out power. I definitely need to have some kind of back up.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have two Whispers that have been operating for something like three years now. Both remain silent as long as they aren't touching anything other than the surface they rest on, and neither shows any signs of giving up the ghost anytime soon.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't personally have a Whisper, but have read a majority of feedback endorsing the pumps.

Your check list for air pumps:
- Pump
- Air line
- Check valve to prevent drain back/siphoning (especially important if you have power outs)
- Bubble Wand/Stone/Diffuser

Some people suggest placing a piece of carpet or rubber matting under the pump to absorb vibrations and make it even quieter.

I haven't seen any pumps with a battery backup before so can't comment on those.

For what it's worth, I use an Eheim, with adjustable output. Super quiet but also on the expensive end of the spectrum.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
geez! 4 days without power sounds like a back up would be a good idea, just be sure to stock up on D batteries!

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sirdarksol: Thanks. Iv mostly heard good about them. I'm thinking I might get a whisper and then maybe get some kind of battery operated one just as a back up..

ryanr: Thanks! I will check it out but right now I kind of have to go with whats cheapest :-[ as long as its not junk lol but I will def look into them!

- Pump (no check yet)
- Air line (check came w/tank)
- Check valve to prevent drain back/siphoning (especially important if you have power outs) (check came w/tank)
- Bubble Wand/Stone/Diffuser (check came w/tank a bubble wand..not sure its my first choice but its something and I can switch later)

bass master: I know, seriously not fun!! All the electric company said it would be fixed that day...it wasn't..then it was ''we don't work weekends'' and it was on a friday. Ended up not getting fixed till tues. It was a bit of a scare they went hours with nothing that day. When i lose power I lose water too so I couldn't do a water change (id been doing daily WC). I tried moving the water a bit frequently to mock some kind of circulation but they started sticking close to the surface (all this in first day) That night though a friend of mine had like a truck battery that was set up to where you could plug things in so I was able to get my filter on...Things where better but then since its been in the 90ºs my tank water was getting to warm. After a couple days we were able to get a small generator going and my fish were priority and a fan on the tank after that it was ok for them but soooooo nice when the power was back!!! Prob a very good thing I just had the 4 zebra danios too so no losses but the tank was just barely coming out of cycle as well.

Isn't there some kind of pump that actually will work of a plug but then turn on to batterys like if you are not home and power goes? I'm hoping no more outages for awhile but was intrigued by that should have something..So far though I have the idea of one whisper air pump then some kind of battery backup.

Thanks for your help everyone!

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
typical repair guys haha, must' have been a hassle!

I think I might have sent you the wrong link,
that pump plugs into the wall and turns on when the power goes out, id if it will run off of ac power though. I cant find one right now that works on ac and dc power, but I believe that I have seen one of those at a bait shop. I would search through the shopping results when you type in "battery operated air pump". Electric motors that run on DC power are slightly different than what runs on AC power, so a pump would have to have either two motors or a power inverter in it to operate on both, I think that might be why its hard to find something like that.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah

I'll check out the shopping. This weekend I might go shopping and will look more at what's avaliable around here. I like the one in that link that will come on when powers out...maybe it was just wishful thinking to find an all in one air pump tht wasn't too pricey... Lol

thanks!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom