Need Help!!!

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I double checked and saw earlier that you thought it might be velvet, which it isn't. I can't tell from the photo what the cause of the swelling might be. A good all-purpose medication is melafix. I don't know if you can get it in your area. They don't sell it where I live, so I had to get it online.

Sending warm, fuzzy feelings to your Betta!

Aquafina

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you suspect it's a fungal or bacterial disease then I highly recommend Seachem KanaPlex. It's incredibly simple to use and it's a bit more expensive than other medicine, but completely worth it. You use a very small dosage, so one purchase will likely last you a couple years and it works fast.

Trott

Reaction score
endlercollector said:
I can't tell from the photo what the cause of the swelling might be. A good all-purpose medication is . I don't know if you can get it in your area. They don't sell it where I live, so I had to get it online.
There's an ongoing debate about bettas and melafix, not sure if it has been resolved. This post is 9 years old but still informative:

Discussion about MelaFix and bettas

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, better not use melafix. Are the scales turning white? Is that the only symptom? If so, I literally just dealt with the exact same thing, I'll post a pic and you can see if it looks similar (I had a more advanced stage though, if it is the same). I first tried kanaplex, which is a great medication, but it had no effect. I then tried a methylene blue dip of 10 drops in 1/2 gallon for 30 minutes, and the next day color started to return.
(Discoloration around the base of the dorsal which spread up the fin, and somehow jumped to the face).
If it looks nothing like this, please disregard... but kanaplex has worked well for me for a few issues, so it's a good go to.

Attachments

minifuney

Reaction score
9B536C07-0AE1-4C69-AAA9-5C1FF872F632.jpeg
Sorry for the late replies everyone I definitely appreciate the help, I’ve still been researching. I took him out of the water altogether and have him back in his little dish until I can receive the products you all suggested.

Here’s a better picture to see if anyone has any other ideas! Thanks I really appreciate it
Rtessy said:
Yeah, better not use melafix. Are the scales turning white? Is that the only symptom? If so, I literally just dealt with the exact same thing, I'll post a pic and you can see if it looks similar (I had a more advanced stage though, if it is the same). I first tried kanaplex, which is a great medication, but it had no effect. I then tried a methylene blue dip of 10 drops in 1/2 gallon for 30 minutes, and the next day color started to return.
(Discoloration around the base of the dorsal which spread up the fin, and somehow jumped to the face).
If it looks nothing like this, please disregard... but kanaplex has worked well for me for a few issues, so it's a good go to.
9B536C07-0AE1-4C69-AAA9-5C1FF872F632.jpeg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom