Need Help!

Jbaldwin1273

Reaction score
So I have a problem, I have a Veiltail male Betta and his fins won’t stop being shredded. He’s acting normal and happy and eating but his tail keeps on shredding, and I’m at a lose. I’ve treated him for fin rot and nothing works. I heard that he’s seeing his reflection and he’s always been a big flarer, but I don’t know what to do anymore and his tail looks terrible. Please help me! Thanks.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquarium salt works really well and will help him. Take some aquarium water in a separate container, and mix and dissolve ONE TEASPOON of salt only ONCE per day for every gallon of water.

Jbaldwin1273

Reaction score
I said my tank size was a 5 gallon and the temp is 84. I’m using API FURAN-2 and it was use half a packet wait 24 hours wait another 24 hours the do a 25 percent change. Should I just do daily water charges now or?

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I didn't see where there was a temp or size. Either way, finish up the meds you are using then do the daily water changes. Usually clean water is the first step to treating fish.

Jbaldwin1273

Reaction score
New up date he was gone for like 3 days but now his fins have deterated some more and I don’t know what it could be

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Aquarium salt works really well and will help him. Take some aquarium water in a separate container, and mix and dissolve ONE TEASPOON of salt only ONCE per day for every gallon of water.
To clarify, salt really should not be used on bettas except as a last resort type of deal because they are really salt sensitive.
That being said, I am also dealing with a very stubborn case of finrot, I went through a dose of kanaplex, which is supposed to do about the same thing as Furan and didn't have luck. I moved on to a bath of methylene blue (be very careful, it will stain everything, do this in a separate container) of ten drops in half a gallon for half an hour. It seems to have done something good, but not a big impact so I will be doing another, and I'll let you know if it does anything. Are you positive it's not tail biting?

Jbaldwin1273

Reaction score
I don’t think he is but if he’s is can y’all give me tips on how to slove it and stop it if it ever happens again thanks

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do the edges look really ragged, almost like how an old cloth tears? Is there a colored edge (eg. black, white, grey)? Sorry I can't tell from the pics. If it is tail biting, I haven't personally dealt with it, but I haven't heard that it's likely due to some sort or stress factor and that rearranging the decor can help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom