Need Help!

nik03

Reaction score
So I've had a yellow tang for about a week along with a tomato clown, blue puffer, and a brittle star.  She has been doing fine, no fighting or anything, but the other morning with I woke up she was really white on her sides.  I asked a guy at the pet store and he said that's normal, they lighten at night.  However, I have noticed she has stayed between the live rock all day today.  I do not have a quarantine tank, I only have a 35 gal, so I put her in a small breeding net along the side of the tank thinking maybe she was just stressed.  After I turned the light off for them to go to sleep, I looked about 1hr later, and she now has a black spot on both her sides!   ???  I have no idea what it could be!  I hope she makes it through the night  :'(  If anyone knows what this could be, please reply!  I've looked up diseases and stress online, and I've just came upon black itch, yet she only has a big black spot on her sides!  HELP!

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - try to increase the amount of oxygen in the water. Tangs in general need highly oxygenated water. Use some airstones and multiple powerheads to increase the water movement in the tank.

What are you readings on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and specific gravity? If this is a new tank and hasn't cycled, the tang is in trouble.

nik03

Reaction score
Salinity is .022, nitrate and nitrite readings are good. I put the nitrite reducer from Amquel in once a week just to make sure. She now has more brownish spots above her head. The tank has been set up for over a year, so the cycle is good to go. Also, I have the power head pointed somewhat of an upward angle to move the water over the level a little. I never thought of having bubble stones or anything, where could I find those?

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Airstones can usually be found at most fish stores - for example:

Do the spots only show up when the lights go off? If so, it may just be a camoflage reaction or mood thing.

Is it acting normal otherwise? Are any other fish acting or looking out of the ordinary?

jim55379

Valued Member
Reaction score
airstones are ok but I like the air sticks that attach to the back of the aquarium with suction cups. They can be cut to size and do not take up valuable space on the aquarium floor. Oh yeah they cost about 4 to 5 dollars

DreamCatcher1987

Reaction score
hi. I just wanted to let you know that the brown/black area indicates the tang is ready for sleep. My ex works with saltwater fish, has been for years, as well as my marine biology teacher who has 3 of them say that it is normal and that it indicates that they are ready to go to bed. my yellow tang has the bright white stripe on his side, it never fades, and they said that is normal as well. some tangs i guess display odd colors sometimes.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone on this forum ages ago had a tang with pink spots on its side and it turned out it was the red food that the tang was eating if I remember correctly... maybe that may have something to do with it?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom