Help Need Help with white spots

ReefLuvr

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Need help. Started getting some white spots in my reef tank and over the last week while I was on vacation, things started to progress further. Attached are some images I took this morning. Can anyone tell me what it is and how I get rid of it? thanks,

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hmmm I'm not familiar with SW set ups but this will bump your post to the top and you should get some responses soon. Best of luck!

10gallonmadness

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Need help. Started getting some white spots in my reef tank and over the last week while I was on vacation, things started to progress further. Attached are some images I took this morning. Can anyone tell me what it is and how I get rid of it? thanks,
Hmm... I believe it's ich/ick. But I've never heard of it on corals. Maybe it is
Ich/Ick callists. They are like the eggs of Ich/Ick I think.
Treatment:
Turn your heater around 80-82 F (but do this very slowly so you won't shock the habitants of your tank). Put a teaspoon of aquarium salt in.
If that kills the white spots then your good. But if some are still left then you have to get a concentrated ich/ick treatment. Consult your dealer about which is best to use. Before you put your treatments in the tank you have to take your filter carbon out. Doing this will prevent the carbon from killing the medicine before it has a chance to work. Also while the treatment is in your tank, maintain strong airation because certain medicines deoxygenise (Don't know if thats a word) your water. Good Luck.
PS It is also good to include your water parimaters because white spot is usually caused by stress.

eiginh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wouldn't there be salt in a reef tank already? The temp being high and I guess the medicine will limit the oxygen in your tank so if you have some sort of aeration that would help out your inhabitants, IF the white spots ARE Ich.

eiginh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good to know they aren't Ich, do you know if they move? I was jut reading a thread here with water lice in their tank...

Wolfgang8810

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They are actually snails. Perfectly normal i have thousands on the back glass in my 90 gallon tank.

The ones on your Palys on the other hand COULD be a desiese called zoe pox. unlikley though keep an eye on them. If they start to look bad give them a freshwater dip.

Wolfgang8810

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is a good link for reef identification

119.jpg
Little hard white spirals on your rock and glass causing confusion? When you look real close, do they have little feathers sticking out the end? Congrats, you got yourself some spirorbid worms. These little guys live in their calcareous shells and filter feed. They are harmless additions to your reef.

ReefLuvr

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Here is a good link for reef identification

115.jpg
Little hard white spirals on your rock and glass causing confusion? When you look real close, do they have little feathers sticking out the end? Congrats, you got yourself some spirorbid worms. These little guys live in their calcareous shells and filter feed. They are harmless additions to your reef.
Thank you all so much for responding.....
Here's another pic. It does appear to be some kind of worm and yes, the "white spots" are hard but I don't see anything coming out the end of the tube but maybe my eyes just aren't that good. But to the point of another response, do they really grow on coral? Is that what this is?

Attachments

Wolfgang8810

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The small white ones are spirorbid worms and the long ones that are growing up from the rock are vermitid snails. They are common and not necessarily bad but they spit out a "net" of stuff to catch particulates in the water. this net can irritate corals.

Your eyes are fine its near impossible to see.

I personally squish the vermitid snails. I don't like seeing my corals closed up because of them.

ReefLuvr

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The small white ones are spirorbid worms and the long ones that are growing up from the rock are vermitid snails. They are common and not necessarily bad but they spit out a "net" of stuff to catch particulates in the water. this net can irritate corals.

Your eyes are fine its near impossible to see.

I personally squish the vermitid snails. I don't like seeing my corals closed up because of them.
Thanks for your awesome info, but If the long ones are what you say, when you try to "squish" them, the tube just breaks off the rock. Does that mean they are being squished?

ReefLuvr

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I finally tested my water today:
PH:8.0
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Calcium: 440
KH: 9
Phosphate: 2.0
I know my PH is kinda low and my Phos are kinda high and I will take care of that today. However, my Calcium seems right on but someone told me that I should add Kalkwasser to my reef tank. When I asked some guy at this new store I found, he said instead of spending money on the Kalk, to use Baking Soda. Is this right? Does anyone have an opinion on this? And if you can use ****, how much and how is it added? And most of all, if my Calcuim level is good now, why would I add more?
Thanks!!

Wolfgang8810

Well Known Member
Reaction score
the tube just breaks off the rock. Does that mean they are being squished?
No, they will rebuild the tube. I have a plastic poker that I jam in the hole to actually kill it.
use Baking Soda. Is this right?
Chemically I do not know. Any metal is bad for us reefers and isn't that stored with a metal lid you have to peel off to open?
Does anyone have an opinion on this?
personally I absolutely would not. Would you use table salt in tap water to fill up the tank?
And most of all, if my Calcium level is good now, why would I add more?
Thanks!!
Eh I have a 90 gallon reef and I don't dose anything. Unless you are growing a lot of SPS or LPS that is depleting your calc I wouldn't add anything unless it gets low.

ReefLuvr

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
the tube just breaks off the rock. Does that mean they are being squished?
No, they will rebuild the tube. I have a plastic poker that I jam in the hole to actually kill it.
Interesting. I'll have to try that. There are lots of these now.
use Baking Soda. Is this right?
Chemically I do not know. Any metal is bad for us reefers and isn't that stored with a metal lid you have to peel off to open?
Does anyone have an opinion on this?
personally I absolutely would not. Would you use table salt in tap water to fill up the tank?
Absolutely not!
And most of all, if my Calcium level is good now, why would I add more?
Thanks!!
Eh I have a 90 gallon reef and I don't dose anything. Unless you are growing a lot of SPS or LPS that is depleting your calc I wouldn't add anything unless it gets low.
Then I won't..... Just so you know, I hear these things and dont think it makes any sense to me, thats why I ask you. I thank you for your help!!
l

cerianthus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pure baking Soda can be used in any tank. Just do so w/ small amt.

You can log experiemnt such as 1 level teaspoon of soda in pint of freshwater and so on jogged down the result until you find the right concentrationwhich will do the trick for you.

Just make sure to dissolve soda completely in water before use. Neveer add soda directly to tank/system.

There are metal which are processed to be inert so I wouldnt worry too much of metal spout on the lid.

Non iodized table salt are natural Sodium chloride. What we buy at the lfs are synthetic( Mix Hydrochloric Acid with Sodium Hydroxide will yield Sodium Chloride and water ( Dont do it at home FOLK! It aint worth it)). I have used table salt in case of emergency as long as non iodized w/o mishaps but table salt may lack other substances which are needed to support life forms thus only in case of Emergency!

btw, gorgeous tank set up.

ReefLuvr

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow, very good info. Thank you!!

and thanks for the kind words about my tank! Its changed quite a bit since I last posted pics. I should post some new ones soon.

cerianthus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does or did Green Sepent star caused any problems? I used to feed them gold fish when I was young but I wouldnt keep it reef tnak with other small, fragile crustaceans.
It wouldnt be the best choice of stars. Although more difficult and can become nuisance, I find Linkia varieties more attractive. Well, personally.
ALso look into Fromia monilis and elegans, very hard to find healthy/undamaged one of these. Make sure to let them crawl down from top to bottom rather than drop them into tank to have them sink to bottom. Ive seen them melt down due to pressure right after being shipped (bag has not even half cup of water).

Your LR seems exceptional/outstanding. I dont know how long your friend had in captivity but job well done. All those things on the rocks you were curious about are what make reef tank so fun or drive me to go for more (many sleepless nights trying to see what's in the tank/LR). If they were negative to reef, I am sure your treasures would have dispalyed such when displeased.
It seems like you inherited the tank that was doing well and I think you done good job maintaining this tank. How long ago you got this set up? And did you have any idea what was involved with reef tank before inheritance?

Sure like to see new pics of tank.

Try searching for Oyster including spiny oysters or other biblaves which are not photosynthetic. Awesome additions to reef as they are filter feeders and they come with so many thing on their shells (orange, purple, red colors of what seemed to sponges, etc etc). Unforutnately I dont see them as readily avail as it was 20 yrs ago.

Keep Reefing and Enjoy

ReefLuvr

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Does or did Green Sepent star caused any problems? I used to feed them gold fish when I was young but I wouldnt keep it reef tnak with other small, fragile crustaceans.
It wouldnt be the best choice of stars. Although more difficult and can become nuisance, I find Linkia varieties more attractive. Well, personally.
ALso look into Fromia monilis and elegans, very hard to find healthy/undamaged one of these. Make sure to let them crawl down from top to bottom rather than drop them into tank to have them sink to bottom. Ive seen them melt down due to pressure right after being shipped (bag has not even half cup of water).

Your LR seems exceptional/outstanding. I dont know how long your friend had in captivity but job well done. All those things on the rocks you were curious about are what make reef tank so fun or drive me to go for more (many sleepless nights trying to see what's in the tank/LR). If they were negative to reef, I am sure your treasures would have dispalyed such when displeased.
It seems like you inherited the tank that was doing well and I think you done good job maintaining this tank. How long ago you got this set up? And did you have any idea what was involved with reef tank before inheritance?

Sure like to see new pics of tank.

Try searching for Oyster including spiny oysters or other biblaves which are not photosynthetic. Awesome additions to reef as they are filter feeders and they come with so many thing on their shells (orange, purple, red colors of what seemed to sponges, etc etc). Unforutnately I dont see them as readily avail as it was 20 yrs ago.

Keep Reefing and Enjoy
Sometimes yes, green serpent can be a problem. I do feed it directly with brine shrimp weekly and sometimes I give it small chunks of shrimp. It has eaten some of my hermit crabs and when my Feather Duster left its tube, the green star ate it too.
I will have to look up the Linkia, Fromia monilis and elegans. I am not familiar with those.
I think my friend had the tank for at least five years before she gave it to me and I have now had it for two years. In all honesty, I didn't know a darn thing before I got it. I knew I loved them and always wanted one. But had no clue what was involved. I've lost several things in the last two years and cried over every one. I have just recently (and I should say "finally") got my water parameters under control and I cried then too (That was a "happy" cry tho). I've added a new photo album on my profile with pics I took yesterday and then a couple this morning. I'm going to look up the things you've mentioned but nothing new will be added for quite some time. I think I may need a bigger tank first. haha
Thanks for your nice comments.

cerianthus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice pics. Best looking reef I've seen in this forum so far. Not just inhabitants but things growing on the rock as if it were back in the ocean.
Hanging non-photo CHILI coral up side down your idea? I have done that with new or sloughing corals to give them a fighting chance..

Wondering what kind of light, system and maintenance schedule so other can benifit from your know-how.
I am sure you went thru difficulty as we all do but so natural looking reef set up which I have not seen lately.
I have to look up since its been a while for me, but it seems you have well established either capnella or Capella, or is it Nephthea. I cant remeber as well as i used to.
Very well extended polyps.
Tubastrea, I think, a sun coral. Is that one you purchased or did it grow on its own as I have seen few massive coral breeding (always happened when Full Moon) myself where water get very turbid and water parameter goes whacky. i have had few corals pop out of nowhere and grew. Majority of eggs/larvae wuld have been killed by pumps or filters (sand filters) or by other equipments. One of coral which grew and did well was Pagoda like yours. Make sure the edges of pagoda are free all around. Maybe because so many things grew around your Pagoda but it sure looks like if it grew on its own.
Please describe what your method of maintenances are so other member can use and benefit. Whole idea is to share and hope some one (animal) can benefit.
As far as stars mentioned are to be added in absence of Serpent.
My compliments!

btw, How is Lake Shore Drive? I think this is correct name! Wow, come to think of it, it has been more than 2 decades since I been there last time. Use to drive and p/u youngset sibling to and from U of C bi-annually(?). In my Youth. LOL!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom