Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Need Help With Water Hardness Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by NC122606, Apr 17, 2019.

1. NC122606Valued MemberMember

So I’m getting a gH and kH test kits and I need to know how to do this.

So I’m recommended 5 - 15 dH for some of the fish I’m looking at, but I don’t know which PPM of water hardness I need for this range. I’m not that educated on water hardness and if someone could help it would be nice! Thanks!

I’m pretty sure this is soft water?

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

What fish are you trying to keep that need that hardness? Most fish in the hobby do fine in pretty much anyone's tap water.

3. bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Agree with @Fahn about most dish doing well in most water.
    In answer to your question, 17.8 is the conversion factor between degrees of hardness (ie drops of reagent), and ppm. So 1 dGH = 17.8 ppm GH.

4. NC122606Valued MemberMember

Ok thanks I was looking for that kind of conversion, so I’m about 89 - 267 gH. Thanks!

5. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

What’s funny about this range you listed is it goes from soft to very hard, so it’s almost telling you it doesn’t matter lol.

6. NC122606Valued MemberMember

‍*Facepalm emoji*

7. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

8. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Here you go, all you need to know about water hardness and pH.

Jason from Prime Time Aquatics is a professor and holds multiple degrees in biology. He knows his stuff. Excellent channel on YouTube.

9. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I love his channel. He's really professional There are also conversion charts everywhere online you should check out for a frame of reference, as they're easy to understand and you'll eventually start to memeorize most of the readings and parameters.

*Memorize. Ooops. Here in CO, we have some some wickedly hard water...but yeah, to put it in perspective, generally, the softer the water AND it also goes with hard, the GH and KH usually are around the same, very closely.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019