Need Help With Water Flow!!! Also CO2

Assassin1234

I recently bought a canister filter (sunsun HW-302) and I'm keeping guppies, neon tetras, shrimp and 2 Siamese Algae eaters. My tank is the Horizon 130 and I am currently injecting co2 into the tank. It is a planted aquascape, but I'm afraid that the flow will be too much for the guppies, so I made an airline tubing ring around the filter output. The tank is heavily planted but is extremely overstocked as the guppies have been breeding like crazy, I have already sold some and are planning to sell some more during next week. Also I want to know if I need a surface skimmer?. If you have any knowledge on co2 diffuser and drop checker placement, canister filters, guppies, neon tetras, or cherry shrimp please send a comment! Thanks
image1.jpg
image0.jpg

ANudibranch

Hello! It's good that you are trying to sell some. I would lower your stocking to about 10-12 guppies and get some shrimp in there. For CO2 I personally do DIY (It's completely stable due to my surface movement) I place both my diffuser and drop checker in medium flow areas as to get the co2 dispersed around the tank so all my plants can get some CO2. I'm actually happy you use a SunSun because they don't seem to be so common. I run a 704b on my 20 gal. Definitely get some surface movement as well. It seems you haven't Filled your tank most of the way. get it so the rim is blocking the water level so you don't waste fish real estate. For shrimp, if you want to breed them, you really can't have fish in the tank as well. If you don't care about breeding, make sure your water parameters are good so that you don't kill them all. I also drip acclimate my shrimp for 5-6 hours and always drop a sponge in so they can cling to something. Good luck!

Assassin1234

Hello! It's good that you are trying to sell some. I would lower your stocking to about 10-12 guppies and get some shrimp in there. For CO2 I personally do DIY (It's completely stable due to my surface movement) I place both my diffuser and drop checker in medium flow areas as to get the co2 dispersed around the tank so all my plants can get some CO2. I'm actually happy you use a SunSun because they don't seem to be so common. I run a 704b on my 20 gal. Definitely get some surface movement as well. It seems you haven't Filled your tank most of the way. get it so the rim is blocking the water level so you don't waste fish real estate. For shrimp, if you want to breed them, you really can't have fish in the tank as well. If you don't care about breeding, make sure your water parameters are good so that you don't kill them all. I also drip acclimate my shrimp for 5-6 hours and always drop a sponge in so they can cling to something. Good luck!
I already have loads of shrimp, they managed to breeed crazy!!! I also a diy CO2 same as you. Also thank you for your suggestion on increasing the amount of water, I am just scared that the fish will jump out as I don't have any lids.

Ksway

Cherry shrimp will breed don't worry you won't be able to get rid of them lol. Place C02 in the flow so it is dispersed around the tank, I place checker at the opposite end of tank so I know that it is getting spread around. The surface agitation could possibly be too much but your drop checker will let you know if it is not turning green. The more oxygen you add (surface agitation) your are gassing off the CO2 so just keep an eye on your checker. Skimmers are also good but not necessary it will keep the surface very clean and allow for good oxygen exchange
Also I would not worry about the flow unless it is throwing the fish around all over the place. Fish will find pockets of less flow areas and it's very hard to match a flow of a stream in your aquarium.

Assassin1234

Cherry shrimp will breed don't worry you won't be able to get rid of them lol. Place C02 in the flow so it is dispersed around the tank, I place checker at the opposite end of tank so I know that it is getting spread around. The surface agitation could possibly be too much but your drop checker will let you know if it is not turning green. The more oxygen you add (surface agitation) your are gassing off the CO2 so just keep an eye on your checker. Skimmers are also good but not necessary it will keep the surface very clean and allow for good oxygen exchange
Also I would not worry about the flow unless it is throwing the fish around all over the place. Fish will find pockets of less flow areas and it's very hard to match a flow of a stream in your aquarium.
My guy, you are speaking fax, the shrimp breed like crazy, not as much as guppies but still, alot! Good idea on the drop checker, I will do that now! Thanks for the suggestion

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
kc10131984
Replies
Views
Redviper
  • Question
Replies