Need Help With Swords.

1. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Well Known Member Member

My swords keep growing new leaves but once they reach a certain length they get holey and die. I use osmocote plus root tabs, and dose seachem flourish every week with my water change. The light is an Aqueom floramax. Tank is 40 gallon 36in x 15in x 17in. Any ideas on what to do?

Attached Files:

2. Duardo

Duardo Valued Member Member

Read in a separate thread this is due to iron deficiency, was doing research on plants so yeah heres the thread and hope it answers your questions:
    Amazon Sword getting holes in leaves.

3. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

That's strange because the flourish and the root tabs both have pretty moderate levels of iron. The flourish has .32% and the root tabs have .48%. I'll try putting in more root tabs maybe? I just took an airstone out of the tank, could the airstone have been causing them to die?

4. Duardo

Duardo Valued Member Member

You could be displacing the CO2 in the tank that they are using, so it is possible depnding on the size of tank and airstone. Try it out for 1-2 weeks and see if it gets better. Adding more root tabs might help, try plant food and dose with flourish daily. I use excel daily and I grow new leaves every 2 days, but I have substrate which can absorb the nutrients in the water column, but it wouldnt hurt to try using excel or flourish daily and more root tabs

5. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Like a full dose daily? Or just like 1/2 ml-1 ml. And it’s a 40 gallon and it had a big air stone but I took it out because it was stressing my Angelfish out.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

7. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Last time I checked, which was last week, they were at 20-25 ppm.