Need help with substrate idea+aquascape

Unknown9182

B774FA46-7B7C-44B9-B409-32DE4BC47E24.jpegI’m thinking of use the fluval shrimp substrate since this is going to be a planted tank. 4.5 inches from to back and 5.8 feet in length. My issue with fluval shrimp substrate is that the pellets break down and it’s messy. I want to have a pro-plant substrate that encourages growth. If I do use the fluval substrate should I cap it with sand or gravel?
Any recommendations for plants I should use?
I’m thinking of having the left and right side having a bushy dense planted jungle but then leave the center kinda barren with some driftwood and rocks.

Marlene327

I'm no help to you, doing my own research here in older posts. I'm ready to start a new 10 gallon shrimp tank now and looking for the best substrate - it will also be planted. Do a search for substrate for shrimp tanks and I think you'll find an answer. This is exciting, can't wait to find everything for a good aquascape. And don't forget to let your tank sit a month to 4 months and develop biofilm before adding shrimp. JettsPapa has a good article on this subject.

And I do already have a shrimp tank but there's too many other things in there who have snacked on them, which I moved out. I want to give them their own home with maybe 2 mystery snails and 3 baby corydoras who have hatched.

Unknown9182

I'm no help to you, doing my own research here in older posts. I'm ready to start a new 10 gallon shrimp tank now and looking for the best substrate - it will also be planted. Do a search for substrate for shrimp tanks and I think you'll find an answer. This is exciting, can't wait to find everything for a good aquascape. And don't forget to let your tank sit a month to 4 months and develop biofilm before adding shrimp. JettsPapa has a good article on this subject.

And I do already have a shrimp tank but there's too many other things in there who have snacked on them, which I moved out. I want to give them their own home with maybe 2 mystery snails and 3 baby corydoras who have hatched.
The gravel i Used was eco-complete plant substrate. The gravel has a granite texture to it and looks very nice. It comes with pre-cycled bacteria. The inside of the bag is wet which is the bacteria. I have added my stocking and the shrimp ate ALOT of white biofilm growing on the driftwood along with snails. I have been feeding my shrimp algae wafers, catfish wafers, and blanched cucumbers. I hvae 9 cherry shrimp, 1 big amano shrimp, 5 panda corys, and 6 cardinal tetras and 3 neon tetras (will get more neons). Its been working out well but i have had 2 cardinal tetras died and i think they get stuck in the filter at night because i found the dead one near the same filter in the morning. I plan on using a filter sponge and wrapping it around the intake. (especially for any to-be baby cherry shrimp.)
E11A4085-58E9-4912-8007-C571AB1657B7.jpegThis photo was taken before i added fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
Replies
Views
Bruhineedhelp
  • Question