Need help with stocking!! 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by aquarist2012, Apr 2, 2010.

1. a

aquarist2012 New Member Member

I've been wanting to stock my 29 cichlid tank for awhile now, and this is the list of fish I would like. I currently have a yellow lab and a male convict cichlid. I've read that in cichild tanks its not a bad idea to overstock because it reduces the tension in the tank, but I don't want to be bending the rule too much. Thank you for looking!!:)

1x female convict cichild( I had one, but it died ( I think it was the male))
    2x firemouth cichlids ( wanting a pair)
    2X german blue rams ( not necessarily a pair, but I would like to have a pair)
    1X angelfish
    4X inca snails ( for alage control, which my tank needs)

Suggestions for other fish are welcome!!

* I can live without the angelfish

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think the rams are compatible with a convict, and maybe not the firemouths either.

3. OP
    OP
    a

Ok. Is the list without the rams ok?

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Overstocking cichlids only applies to rift lake cichlids. Not to American cichlids. They are the opposite & are far better being understocked.

The Firemouths probably won't go well with the Rams & the Convict definitely won't. The Convict also won't go well with an Angel. The Firemouth might but it really depends on the temperament of the Firemouth in question. The only way to know if a Firemouth & an Angel will get along is to try it & see.

A 30gal is too small to house more than one pair of breeding cichlids. Perhaps you could go with just the pair of Firemouths or a pair of Rams with one Angel. I wouldn't put the Con with anything onl that list to be honest. I'd want that either with other Cons or in a larger tank with a JD or Oscar.

5. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Convicts are really to aggressive for almost everything you have listed especially since you're after a female and you already have a male which means they'll be breeding. I wouldn't put anything with a breeding pair of convicts in a tank that small unless it's pretty agressive itself.

I've never had angels because I've heard they can be delicate so I'm not sure how they'd do with all those fish.

6. OP
    OP
    a

Should I just stick with the female and male cichlid and the yellow lab in my tank?

7. Nutter

I would actually be removing the Yellow Lab as it is a rift lake cichlid & has very different water requirements to the other fish you are thinking of getting. 30gal isn't really quite big enough for Yellow Labs anyway.

Any breeding pair of american cichlids is going to be rather aggressive & unless the tank is particulary large, are best kept as only the breeding pair in the tank. The exception is that you could have a breeding pair of Rams with some schooling community fish like Tetras or Rainbowfish. Then the problem will be for the Rams trying to protect thier eggs & young agianst the other fish.

8. OP
    OP
    a

Oh. What cichilds could I add to make the most of my 29?

9. Jaysee

Small ones :) A pair of something.

10. OP
    OP
    a

Would cockatoos and rams be a good combination?

11. Jaysee

They would probably work, as long as you don't get too many and have lots of decor.

12. OP
    OP
    a

Ok. How many can I get of each? I was thinking 3x cocktoos and 4x rams?? Also can I put a freshwater clam with them?

13. Nutter

+1. Having clearly defined territories would be essential. That would need to be a place for each pair to breed with lots of plants etc for cover to shield them from view of each other. An open area with no plants or decorations would clearly seperate the territories & provide the essential 'line in the sand'.

14. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

IMO the footprint of a 29 really does not lend itself to keeping that many dwarf cichlids. I'd suggest no more than a pair of each.

FW clams are filter feeders that do not do well in the home aquarium from what I have read. Plus, they tend to bury themselves under the substrate and you really won't see them much. I'd skip clams for this setup, JMO. :)

15. Jaysee

I don't have a lot of cichlid experience, so someone else needs to weigh in on the matter. Anything else you want to put in the tank with them?

I agree about the clams.

16. Nutter

I agree about just one pair of each. That's why I mentioned the clearly seperated territories for each. Even then it still might not work. It's a provide the best conditions possible & see what happens kind of thing.

17. OP
    OP
    a

Ok. Thank you everyone for helping me avoid a huge stocking problem. :;smack

18. OP
    OP
    a

No. I don't think theres enought room for anything else.

19. Jaysee

Sure there is, just no more cichlids. You could get some fish to swim around the top part of the tank.

20. OP
    OP
    a

REALLY!?!?!:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice