Help Need help with stocking 40 gallon

Gegjhee69

Reaction score
I have just started a new 40 gallon aquarium that is now fully cycled, right now I have 5 Buenos Aires tetra and I am going to add more fish in, after reading online I haven’t found much about compatibility with other fish so I’m wondering what would be a good idea to keep with them, preferably I want a centrepiece fish but any suggestion help

^^^^^^^^^^^
I will also be upgrading to 50 gallon towards the end of the year so is there any larger fish I could keep in the 30 then move into the 50 when they grow?

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It depends on what you have in your mind as the finished setup.

If you want a schooling fish, a centerpiece and some bottom dwellers, you could go

8 beunos Aires
8 corydoras( i like the skunk or sterbai)
2 angelfish (for the 50 gallon)

I mean the centerpiece fish could be many things, I also like pearl gouramis, could do 1 male 2 female.

You want to up the number of tetras you have because apparantly beunos aires can be nippy to other fish if not kept in bigger schools

OP
G

Gegjhee69

Reaction score
Lebeeze said:
It depends on what you have in your mind as the finished setup.

If you want a schooling fish, a centerpiece and some bottom dwellers, you could go

8 beunos Aires
8 corydoras( i like the skunk or sterbai)
2 angelfish (for the 50 gallon)

I mean the centerpiece fish could be many things, I also like pearl gouramis, could do 1 male 2 female.

You want to up the number of tetras you have because apparantly beunos aires can be nippy to other fish if not kept in bigger schools
thanks for the ideas

watermelon46

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
German Blue rams are pretty centerpiece. You could do plecos and corydoras for your clean up crew. 30 gallon is a nice size, you've got lots of options.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
watermelon46 said:
German Blue rams are pretty centerpiece. You could do plecos and corydoras for your clean up crew. 30 gallon is a nice size, you've got lots of options.
Those are beautiful fish, but I don't think the tetras would do well with the tank temperature in the low- to mid-80's that the GBR's need to thrive. Not many corydoras will either.

OP
G

Gegjhee69

Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
Those are beautiful fish, but I don't think the tetras would do well with the tank temperature in the low- to mid-80's that the GBR's need to thrive. Not many corydoras will either.
The BA tetras are best at a temp of 26 degrees Celsius which I think is around 80 degrees

36x18x14 (LxHxW), just realised this is a 40 gallon, (English so don’t really use gallons)

Hugooo

Reaction score
Gegjhee69 said:
36x18x14 (LxHxW), just realised this is a 40 gallon, (English so don’t really use gallons)
You may want to rename this thread to "Need help with stocking 40 gallon" so people that have had a 40 gallon will more likely help you. 40 gallons are much more common than 30 gallons.

OP
G

Gegjhee69

Reaction score
Hugooo said:
You may want to rename this thread to "Need help with stocking 40 gallon" so people that have had a 40 gallon will more likely help you. 40 gallons are much more common than 30 gallons.
Will do thanks

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bolivian Rams are a better choice than German Blues. You get more of a choice of tank mates. GBR have to be at a temp of at least 82* but prefer higher and there are not a lot of fish that like those temps.

OP
G

Gegjhee69

Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
Bolivian Rams are a better choice than German Blues. You get more of a choice of tank mates. GBR have to be at a temp of at least 82* but prefer higher and there are not a lot of fish that like those temps.
What fish would do well with both Bolivian rams and BA tetra?

watermelon46

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's true that the ram and the tetra's parmeters don't really line up. Maybe look into a different idea for a centerpiece, but for a bottom dweller, the BN pleco's water temperature lines right up with that of the Buenos Aires Tetras, if you're interested in some action at the bottom.

OP
G

Gegjhee69

Reaction score
watermelon46 said:
It's true that the ram and the tetra's parmeters don't really line up. Maybe look into a different idea for a centerpiece, but for a bottom dweller, the BN pleco's water temperature lines right up with that of the Buenos Aires Tetras, if you're interested in some action at the bottom.
Thanks, stuck deciding between the Corys and BN pleco

OP
G

Gegjhee69

Reaction score
Would a rainbow shark be fine in a 40 gallon breeder, if so what else could I house it with and in what quantities?

New Threads