Need Help with stock list

1. gcdj Initiate Member

OK
    here is the deal .... come the first of the year i have 2 tanks to set up

I have purchased a 125 long 72"

I will have ample filtration with sand as my substrate with large rocks and some texas holy rock

I have no idea what to put in this tank
    It will be in my living room so i want it FULL of BRIGHT COLORS and lots of action ... would like to know if i should stick with Mbuna but i want to also get some guys that will dig around

but here is the hard one ... my daughter wants in too ... she has asked for a cichlid tank for xmas she will be 7. this will be her second tank ...but this one will actually go in her room ....her 1st tank grew in size and became our famil angel fish tank
    any way ... i bought a 30 gallon ( got a great deal on both tanks on craigslist) ... it is a 30 long 36" what african cichlids can i place in this tank

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:) Sorry, I don't know much about cichlids.

I'm not sure if JDs are mbuna; if they are then I would totally get one of those. They're beyond colorful and would rock out in the 125. ...which I'm quite jealous of btw. ;)

Edit: *sigh* nevermind. Jack Dempseys are South American.

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

All of my Malawi Mbuna dig. So I don't think that will be a problem in your 125g.

In regards to the 30g, you could look at either kribenisis, jewel cichlids, or shelldwellers. It's usually recommended to put mbuna in nothing smaller than a 55g for proper overstocking.

Hope this helps!

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I would check this link out for your daughters 30g http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_29g.php they have all kinds of mixes and the numbers to help keep it active and healthy...although I do agree, 55 is better but 30 is possible

as far as your one in the living room, id go all africans also!~ LOL you could have a great color formation and they are definitely active and crazy fish ....you could have 40-50 fish in that tank ....good luck!