Need Help With Quarantine

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by MegaFish1117, Apr 20, 2018.

1. MegaFish1117Valued MemberMember

I was looking at the algae problem I'm having and I noticed one of my tiger barbs has a ragged dorsal fin. Fin rot or not, I'm going to quarantine him... the problem is, my quarantine tank was packed up and I'll need to set it up again. Do I need to cycle it? If so, how do it do it quickly? It'll be a hospital tank so I won't be adding substrate, and I don't know how long he will be in this tank. Tomorrow I'll be going to some pet stores to find a sponge filter and a better cover, is there anything else I should know about? (I already have a shelter and a heater preset at 78°)
    Once I get the filter and the cover, can I just... plop him in?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Without borrowing any media from the other tank, it's affectively a fish in cycle. With the fin issue, likely need daily water changes. You might be better leaving in main tank and doing lots of water changes.

3. MegaFish1117Valued MemberMember

Ok then. How many waterchanges do you recommend? I normally do a 20-ish% weekly, but apparently that's not enough

So I should just scrap the quarantine idea?

4. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

For fin issues, I always read 50%.. everybody says 'prestine' water. If your tank is too large or heavily stocked, qt may be an option, but definitely need daily 50% on that. You can base the changes on water condition and fin progress.
    I have a cycled qt, and a fin issue in a new rainbow from LFS. I'm doing 50% every couple days and can notice water conditions worse at change.

5. MegaFish1117Valued MemberMember

Sounds great. Do you think its worth a 50% on a 29 gal? If I do it to the main tank, I can do it instantly and it benefits the other fish as well, but then again that's around 14 gallons of water to be replaced...
    The quarantine tank is only 5 gallons, but that means I'd have 2 tanks to clean

6. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

5g qt would be easy water change.. mines 10.
    That may be the better option then. Depending on how bad fins are could be 1 to 2 weeks.
    Also, sometimes there could be an infection issue which might require meds. Maybe post a pic and somebody may be able to advise on that.

7. MegaFish1117Valued MemberMember

Alright, so then would there even be a point in cycling if I do daily or every other day water changes?