Need Help With Prolapse In Pearl Cichlid

Jmerco

Reaction score
Need some help treating out large Pearl Cichlid. Background this fish lives in 100-gallon tank. Filtration is a Fluval fx6, and we've been meticulous with water 20% weekly water changes. All water parameter has always been within parameters.
About three months ago he started throwing up his food. He would eat Blood Worms, and Algae tablets then throw them up a few days later.
We noticed a small protrusion three months ago that has now become very large. He also has a progressing case of Hole in the head.
We treated him in a hospital tank and dosed him for a week with Metro. We also tried a brief Epson Salt bath.
He's not eating much and his poop is clear.

So far no luck, he is getting worse. So I'm reaching out for any advise.
Thank you in advance.

See photos.
i-PBR8Zbg-X2.jpg

i-D8qGWjN-X2.jpg

i-wcH8t2P-X2.jpg

i-pMtdLD5-X2.jpg

i-rNC8btC-X2.jpg

Jmerco

Reaction score
SFGiantsGuy said:
Could be hole in the head and callamus worms. You may have to try levamisole and praziquantel. And have you tried medicating any fish food at all? You may have to try that.
Thank you for the reply! We did try medicating the food but he wouldn't eat it. So that's why we went to the hospital tank for the Meto dose.

Gypsy13 said:
What kind of test kit are you using?
I've have both an API and a Red Sea. The Red Sea is much more accurate.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just wanted to give input about the callamanus, OP I think you are correct and it is a prolapse, so the dewormer medications (levamisole and prazi) would be useless. Also, do you mind listing all the medications you have used as well as the treatment period for them?

Jmerco

Reaction score
Rtessy said:
I just wanted to give input about the callamanus, OP I think you are correct, and it is a prolapse, so the dewormer medications (levamisole and prazi) would be useless. Also, do you mind listing all the medications you have used as well as the treatment period for them?
Hi, I treated with Metro for six days and didn't observe any change. I tried the Epsom Salt bath as prescribed here: Salt Baths But the result was he immediately stopped breathing, so we had to revive him.
After that, I've just been using Aquarium salt to the dose of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.
The prolapse today is more massive and has turned a darker color.

Thank you for your thoughts about this! I'd hate to loose this fish because we could have treated him with something to save him.

i-Zngh2SL-X2.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I haven't personally had a fish with a prolapse, but I've seen a few people on here who have, so I'll just try and help with what I know from that. That being said, there are more knowledgeable people than I am with this, so don't necessarily take my opinion over theirs
I guess. Does the prolapse look more entirely smooth and red or does it look like more of a grainy texture with white/ yellow bits? About how fast does it "grow"?

Jmerco

Reaction score
Rtessy said:
I haven't personally had a fish with a prolapse, but I've seen a few people on here who have, so I'll just try and help with what I know from that. That being said, there are more knowledgeable people than I am with this, so don't necessarily take my opinion over theirs
I guess. Does the prolapse look more entirely smooth and red or does it look like more of a grainy texture with white/ yellow bits? About how fast does it "grow"?
Thank you for your thoughts. Today it looks darker in color and has fuzz around it. It's bumpy and the excrement appears to come from it.
i-Zngh2SL-X2.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
To me, that sounds like a rectal prolapse (not 100% though), and it's great that he is still able to defecate. That being said, I think your best bet would be researching and looking up aquatic vets near you.
Important - A HUGE list of aquatic vets
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but is the fuzzy stuff fungus?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom