Need help with poorly fish

1. fitzykd Initiate Member

I have recently started keeping guppies, The fish tank was cycled for a week, conditioner was also added. I have had my guppies around 1 1/2 weeks (did a 20% clean after 6 days), I have 9 males to 20 females, this morning I noticed white fluffy type growth on one of the females. I have had ICH in my puffer tank before and this problem with the guppies is not the same My worry about adding treatment is that a good few of the females are pregnant, I am wary of adding salt as I also have 2 baby Bristlenose Plecs in the tank and 5 pgym corys' . As of yet (will be going for one today) I do not have a water testing kit, Any suggestions on how to treat this and what it is would be great, thank you. DSC_0134[1].jpg DSC_0137[1].jpg DSC_0132[1].jpg

2. fitzykd Initiate Member

forgot to mention I also have 4 balloon Mollies in the tank. My tank is 30 Gallons.

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

4. FiscCyning Member Member

This does look like a fungus and I would recommend treating. Also, when you say the tank was cycled for a week, do you mean you set up the tank one week before adding the fish? If so, then I'm afraid your tank isn't actually cycled as the nitrogen cycle takes much longer than that to complete. Poor water conditions such as high ammonia from an uncycled tank can weaken fish and make them more susceptible to illness. I would definitely get that test kit Sassoon as possible to test the water parameters and perform water changes to keep ammonia levels down.

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I would start by doing water changes, even if you haven't got a test. I had misunderstood the first post and read it as it had completed cycling a week before you added the guppies. So to clarify, when was your tank set up? or how did you cycle it?x

6. fitzykd Initiate Member

was cylcled for a week prior to adding guppies using water from a mature tank as advised by the store Just got back from fish shop they tested the water and said all the levels were ok for the guppies. He was able to see the original photos and said it looked the the mollies had been pecking at the poor wee girls. I have removed the Mollies and put them in my partners tank.

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately you are not cycled. Not many BB live in the water column. Like when you do a water change, you take the water out but still have the BB because it is mainly in the filter but also in the substrate, on the decor etc.

Do you have access to some filter media in an established tank?

You may need to do a TSS cycle as you already have fish in. This is a product which will cycle your tank for you in 2 weeks and is much less harmful to your fish than allowing it to cycle on it's own.

You will need to perform daily water changes until your tank cycles (or you use TSS, please ask if you wish to go this route so I can further explain!) and use a conditioner such as Prime which detoxifies the ammonia for 24-48 hours making the water safe for your fish.

Do you have a QT for the sick guppy?

If not then you won't be able to use TSS and will have to perform daily 50% water changes to keep the water pristine for the sick guppy whilst medicating.

Tanks won't cycle with mature water unfortunately, LFS advice should always be taken with a pinch of salt! When they say the water is "good" or "okay" and "for guppies", numbers and actual readings would be very helpful. They may mean your water is full of ammonia but your pH is perfect for guppies.. They could mean anything!!

The mollies may be carrying the fungus so you may have contaminated your partners tank too. Don't worry, you'll just need to treat his tank too. Could you pinch a little of his filter media? It would help cycle your tank massively, you wouldn't need the TSS, but you will need a kit to test yours and your partners water as he will likely have a mini cycle and you will need to perform water changes accordingly.xx

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

+1 Hollie

Go with everything Hollie just stated. I'm sorry the LFS misinformed you. The beneficial bacteria responsible for creating safe water conditions is primarily in a filter (about 95%). A very small percentage lives in the water column (pretty much negligible). By transferring a portion of "seasoned" filter media from an established tank into a new tank, you are effectively "seeding" the new tank.

I would also definitely advise picking up an API freshwater liquid drop kit.

Good luck! :)

9. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Just FYI: you can cycle a tank by borrowing stuff from established tanks, but it's not the water that cycles the tank. It's the biological media in the filter. That's what you would want to take from a running tank. And if I read your stock correctly, 29 fish is a lot for a tank that has been running a week or two.

10. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Wait, 29 guppies plus two plecos and five pygmy cories? That is a lot. What size is your tank?

You'll probably be having major ammonia issues and will need to perform a large water change ASAP.xx

11. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Sorry my edit button has disappeared. Its 30gallons. I think you are also over stocked, plecos have huge bioloads!xx

http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage....200909300093:,5:200909300175:,2:200909300033:

Just to give you an idea.

Everything I mentioned in post #7 still stands ....

but I would also look into rehoming the plecos and some guppies. Do you have plans for the fry? If not you are in danger of being seriously overstocked VERY quickly. All 20 females could drop 100 fry every four weeks, so you may end up with 2000 fry EVERY MONTH. It is unlikely that all will survive and they will have 100 each time but it is a possibility you need to consider.

My guppies usually have 7/8 fry each survive with no intervention every month (they live with a Dwarf Gourami, cories, tetras and their mothers) so, 7 fry from each female would still be 140 fry a month.xxx