Need Help With Pond!!

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i just recently set up a 100 tub in my backyard, i have six gold fish in and a little turtle. my problem is that i am too cheap to buy 100 gallons of water to put in it and keep the water level up, i also don't have a filter (i have just been changing all the water once a week) my question is "can you rig a little pump to a filter that you would have on your well pump and expect it to keep your fish alive and healthy"

p.s. the little pump can probably pump plenty of water to circulate the water in the tub a few times per hour.

thank you

plecolover

Valued Member
Reaction score
sounds like that may not be enough circulation.if I understand the question right. I really think you should buy a pond filter .your fish would have a much better chance of surviveing.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfish are pretty hardy fish...I have a 120-140 gal preformed pond with two waterfalls. My pump is a 600 gph pump (just because I like the higher volume of water on the waterfalls). Depending on how you have your water moving (waterfall or fountain?) you could get by with a 100 - 200 gph pump. Is there a reason you have to buy the water for it? I top mine of with our garden hose when it gets low, and when I have to clean it I just use the garden hose water...I haven't had any problems with it. If you have a question about your water, you could get it tested to see if there is anything harmful in it. If you have a high chlorine level, just let it sit for a couple of days in buckets first or get one of the treatments that removes the chlorine.
How big is your turtle and what kind is it? Some turtles may eat your goldfish if they are small enough. Also, make sure there is some type of wall around your pond so the turtle doesn't crawl away. My sister lost one of her turtles when it decided it liked the irrigation water better than her pond. She built a taller wall around her pond after that.
Good luck with your pond!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom