Need help with odd guppy behavior

Magtom

Hi!
I have 2 female guppies that I found as fry right after their mother died. I had had her in my 10 gallon tank for about 3 months. They have been in a community since with 2 albino corys, 5 glowlight tetras, a nerite snail and lots of plants. Yesterday I put the 5 tetras in a newly cycled 40 gallon tank (in which they’ve been spawning in all day!). I noticed a very small glowlight tetra (maybe 2 weeks old) in the 10 gallon tank as well today.

I just noticed one of the guppies goes and lays on the top of the submerged heater for 30 seconds or so and then swims away. The water temp has been around 70° and I’m wondering if she is cold? Or why she is displaying this behavior? Does anyone know? Thank you!

Freshfishguy

It could be that she is cold. Guppies need at least 75 degrees, so I would definitely recommend raising the temp.

Upvote 0

SanDiegoRedneck

It's not too cold for guppies. I breed guppies and use no heaters in tanks I heat my house to 70. In winter my tanks are hight 60's low 70's still making babies. Is the fry eating? No problem resting that is normal. Do you maybe have lots of flow and he is trying to rest?

Upvote 0

SchirmerFish

She could be cold how long have you had them and my betta does that because they are tropical fish and they like heat you could put hammock above it so she does not burn.

Upvote 0

SanDiegoRedneck

She could be cold how long have you had them and my betta does that because they are tropical fish and they like heat you could put hammock above it so she does not burn.
I agree more so with beta needing Warmer water. (Although I have on at 70 for years) the guppies are not cold at 70. See above post I breed happily between high 60's and low 80's

Upvote 0

SchirmerFish

Hi!
I have 2 female guppies that I found as fry right after their mother died. I had had her in my 10 gallon tank for about 3 months. They have been in a community since with 2 albino corys, 5 glowlight tetras, a nerite snail and lots of plants. Yesterday I put the 5 tetras in a newly cycled 40 gallon tank (in which they’ve been spawning in all day!). I noticed a very small glowlight tetra (maybe 2 weeks old) in the 10 gallon tank as well today.

I just noticed one of the guppies goes and lays on the top of the submerged heater for 30 seconds or so and then swims away. The water temp has been around 70° and I’m wondering if she is cold? Or why she is displaying this behavior? Does anyone know? Thank you!

They are tropical fish they need to be at least 75 and then slowly lower it over time for a longer life span

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Magtom
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Magtom
Replies
Views
nmm8605
  • Question