Need Help With Nerites Please

Discussion in 'Snails' started by BettaBabies, Apr 17, 2018.

1. BettaBabies

BettaBabies New Member Member

I recently bought 3 zebra nerite from my lfs. I put them in a quarantine tank & have been changing the water daily as it starts to get cloudy.

They came with what I think is either nematodes or planaria. They were hair thin worms ranging from a few millimeters to about a centimeter. I'm glad I quarantined because I just cant risk the life of my betta in the 10 gallon.

Anyway I need help feeding these guys & figuring out what is coming out of my nerite. I have put a small tank with one of my tank decorations that had some algae on it with some tank water on the windowsill to grow algae. Any tips for growing algae?

I also give them algae wafers daily, I just cant tell if they eat it or not.

Most important what is this worm on my nerite? Is it its poop? It had dark, short, poop when they came home, when they had natural algae? It came out of the side of its shell. One picture shows the worm thing after it left, and the other picture is as the worm thing as it's coming out. This is different than the first worms, which were tiny, thin & almost gone now.

Any advice? 20180417_174347.jpg 20180417_173432.jpg

2. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

Does the 'worm' move?

3. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

The one in the pictures no. It just floated to the top & stayed there.

4. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

I am not a worm expert. But, it looks like poop to me. My snails poop a lot! Fingers crossed that is all it is.

5. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

Thank you so much :)

So i guess there poop comes out from the side of their shells like that?

6. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

It does for mysteries, I don't think I've ever seen my nerites poop.

7. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Yes it comes out the side. But I've never seen nerite poop like that before. It's always small pieces and either brown or similarly colored to whatever vegetable they've been eating that day. I've never seen poop like that from a nerite even with algae tabs.

If those snails brought planaria or nematodes to start I'd venture it was actually parasitic worms rather than nematodes or planaria and that is likely another. I've had friends have parasitic outbreaks and when removing nerite to bowl while treating found more parasites in the bowl that came out of the nerites as if they'd been hiding in the shell.

I'd definitely be very cautious and at least attempt a snail safe parasite med... Paraguard is snail safe but would not be effective for this type of parasite. I don't know what other meds are snail safe but I'd recommend looking into levamisole and fenbenzadole and if they are snail safe as either of those "may" be effective with the type of parasites you are likely dealing with.

8. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

Thank you, im just not sure if i should medicate without knowing what im treating for tho. But another nerite just let out another, this time it didnt start floating & is the same color. Its like a beige. I guess its their poop from the algae wafers. Originally their poop was brown & only like half a centimeter long.

9. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

For feeding, try blanched veggies like zuchinni.

As for the worms, monster the snails closely and ask your source of the snails some questions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice