Need Help With My New Setup.... 29 Gallon Tank 

bdmetalmulisha

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone.
i just bought a 29 gallon tank and wish to have a FOWLR set-up eventually.

so basically i bought a tank and extras second hand and now im not to sure on how to set everything up.

First off with the tank came a Fluval 204 Canister filter, Red Sea Prizm Protein skimmer, Under gravel filter.
My questions are what would be the best one to install? and should i install more than one?
i was thinking install the Canister filter with biological and a mechanical filter and also the Protein skimmer.

The base i have is pebbles like the ones used in a gold fish tank. is this a suitable base for tropical fish or should i look at getting sand??

finally do i need an air pump to help circulate O2 into the tank?

i am new to this and have been researching but finding it confusing so a step by step guide on helping me how to set it up would be great.

i have fake coral at the moment but am thinking of getting live rock or an anemone to go with the fish.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Andrew

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi there Andrew.

First of all, welcome to FL!

Alright now for the filtration, I would skip the Canister. Canister filters are hard and inconvinient to change. Canisters do a very good job at traping solid objects and filter the water through various parts (mechanichal and chemichal). In the Saltwater hobby, the traped solids will eventually release nitrates into the water. That is commonly called a nitrate factory. Canisters and other filters are usually not reccomended in this hobby because of that. Nitrates can result in algae growth, unhappy corals, and unhappy fish in severe cases. I would definetly use the protein skimmer

The gravel IMO is not a very good choice. Like the filter, solids could easily get stuck to gravel and other large substrate and will eventually release nitrates and becalled a nitrate factory. The best substrate is agronite sand. Keep in mind though when using sand, undergravels will not be able to use.

An airpump is not neccesary and too much bubbles will not be good with the livestock. A powerhead or pump will be needed for flow. Flow is very important to prevent algae growth and will be needed with live rock. Fish also enjoys flow. I have two Koralia two might be 3, Koralia three might be 4, and a vortech mp40 in my 120. The vortech alone is 5000gph.

As for the anemone, it requires very intense lighting to keep. More intense that most of the soft corals and LPS requires. The lightings that will make the anemone thrives are metal halides, T-5 HO, and high powered LEDs. They also requires mature aquariums that is atleast 6 months old. Most anemones are also very hard to take care off. The easier ones are the BTA and RBTA

Here is a saltwater beginners guide from fishlore
https://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterBeginners.htm

One of the most important things to do in this hobby is to make sure your parameters are spot on. The best article that I've seen is this one. It compares natural sea water with reccomended parameters and explains what parameter does what and how to maintain it
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Also, on your info, it says that you dont know the nitrogen cycle. Its basicly a process to create bacteria for your fish to survive. Here's an article that explains in detail about the steps.
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

hope this helps,

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Good luck with your new salt set up! I hope you can share some photos with us sometime.

Ken

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi there,

bdmetalmulisha said:
Hey everyone.
i just bought a 29 gallon tank and wish to have a FOWLR set-up eventually.

From further reading it seems that you are going to start with a fish only tank, no live sand or live rock.

so basically i bought a tank and extras second hand and now im not to sure on how to set everything up.

First off with the tank came a Fluval 204 Canister filter, Red Sea Prizm Protein skimmer, Under gravel filter.
My questions are what would be the best one to install? and should i install more than one?
i was thinking install the Canister filter with biological and a mechanical filter and also the Protein skimmer.

Since you are going with fish only (as I like to call it), no corals at all, you should be fine with any combination yoiu choose. Here is what I would recomend; Since you are going to use pebbles the underground filter might work ok, I think the canister filter will be better in the long run just incase you decide to go with "live snd or sand" subtrate. I prefer to use powerfilters as they are easier to clean. The skimmer, in my opinion, is an option since you are not going with corals. Persoally I do not have skimmers only powerfilters. The canister filter and skimmers should be a good combination.

The base i have is pebbles like the ones used in a gold fish tank. is this a suitable base for tropical fish or should i look at getting sand??

This should be fine aslong as you keep in mind that you will need to vacum the subtrate as when you do your water changes.

finally do i need an air pump to help circulate O2 into the tank?

Most people say no to air pumps, personally I have yet to try them. However you will need circulation. This can be acheived with power heads. With the size tank you have you are going to want to use 1 or more powerheads equating to 600 gph or more.

i am new to this and have been researching but finding it confusing so a step by step guide on helping me how to set it up would be great.

The more you research the more you will fine that opinions will varie alot rom habbiest to hobbiest. Most of the time the option you choose to follow will have to make sence to you.

i have fake coral at the moment but am thinking of getting live rock or an anemone to go with the fish.

If you go with the anemone keep in mind the care for it as they require more then the fish themself do, like lithting and a whole lot better water quality.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Andrew

If you have further question don't hesitate to ask.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads