Need help with my new plants

Islandvic

I need some help with my plants.

My new plants are not doing well at all as I hoped they wood. Ive had some Anubias in there for 2 years and they do ok. At the end of February I brought home a lot of new plants I got for a good deal when I was out of town and visited a LFS. I told them I wanted plants for a low tech tank with low-mid lighting. I got 2 xl Amazon Swords, a Anubias Nana, and other plants that I unfortunately do not know the names of.

New plants have been in tank for about 6 weeks and have either died, or started to get holes in the leaves. For example, rhe Amazon Sword gets holes in leaves and starts to turn yellow and/or brown, theb starts to thin out amd rot. I have to cut back the bad part of the leaves.

The new plants are all in terra cotta pots woth Seachem Flourite red substrate, while the anubias nama is glued to a piexe of driftwood. One of my old anubias is in the pool filter sand substrate with it's rhizome above.

I am thinking either there is too much o2 and not enough Co2 in the water, my lighting is not right, I am usijg wrong fertilizer, or all of the above.

I was considering buying Seachem Potasium and Seachem Iron liquid ferts.

What suggestions or advice do you have to help make my tank a better environment for keeping plants ?

Some general info about the tank is below.

65g community tank
Substrate: pool filter sand substrate on the floor, and the terra cotta pots are filled with Seachem Flourite red,
Temp: 78f-80f
pH: 7.8
Parameters: unknown, though it's fully cycled as the tank has been running for about 2 years
WC schedule: 50-75% every 7-10 days
Filtration: Topfin 75 HOB, Fluval 307, Fluval Q1 air pump running 1 large sponge filter and a DIY low flow UGF w/ short 2" lift tube (Dr. Novak style),
Lighting: 36" Fluval Aquasky LED + 36" Marineland Advanced LED
Fertilizer: Seachem Pond Flourish. I dose 15mL about 3x a week and after a WC. On WC days, I use a syring to inject 2-3 mL into the substrate at each plant

Pic a few days after getting new plants about 6 weeks ago:

Screenshot_20210410-101436_Gallery.jpg

Pic of tank today:

20210410_105929.jpg

Screenshot_20210410-105944_Gallery.jpg

20210410_105859.jpg

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome, thanks!

86 ssinit

Your plants were grown emersed not underwater. So those big round leaves on the Amazon sword will all die off and you will get long thinner leaves. Surprised the dwarf lily died they’re usually unkillable. Yes I use those seachem products and the flourish comprehensive. I dose each once a week.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Hi friend, looks like general macro deficiencies, mainly potassium and nitrogen. The flourish doesn't contain those two. I would buy the flourish potassium and add some root tabs, you should notice a big difference

You should be fine with just those additions

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Like 86 ssinit said, the long stem leaves on the swords are for above water. These leaves die below water and get replaced by underwater leaves. It would be best to simply remove all of these above water type leaves at the base. Make way for new under water type leaves.

It is hard to know exactly what fertilizers your plants need in a given system. But, depending on your tap and considering all your fish, they may not need much. In my low tech tanks, I've found adding potassium helped a lot. Regardless, I also think occasionally adding a root tab (like once every couple of month or so (its not an exact science)) to each pot should make your plants happier--especially plants like swords and lilies.

O2 and CO2 concentrations are independent. So, raising O2 does not lower CO2. And, if you're worried about the raising bubbles, don't be. In a low tech tank, surface agitation lets just as much CO2 in the water as it lets out. Your CO2 will always be low in a low tech tank. But, this is fine.

As far as lights go, your plants do look a little leggy. So, they might like a bit more light. But, be careful with this. It is easy to go overboard and cause algae problems. It may be best to just keep the lights you have. But, if you decide to upgrade your light, I would suggest you get one that is adjustable in some way. Like either the intensity can be changed or you can raise or lower the light above the water. This way, you can back off the light if you start to get algae.

Upvote 0

Fisch

Not sure if this may be a pot related as well. Amazon Swords are heavy rooters that like to expand. It looks like the may get squeezed in the pot and nutrition does not get evenly to the roots? Also agree, the leaves have to go, once they start deteriorating they are done. Cutting them off partially will not save the leaf.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HKsai
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mortifera
Replies
Views
Mudminnow