need help with my first fish tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kaitlin4599, Jul 28, 2015.

1. k

kaitlin4599 Valued Member Member

ok so i have bought my first fish tank its a grreat choice 10 gallon tank. it came with a basic sub par internal power filter ill post a pic of the tank n filter below. ok so now on to my question so i filled the tank up with water on sunday and have been running the filter for a day and a half, and there are bubbles on the inside of the glass, small bubbles all i have in the tank is the filter and some gravel... no air pump no fish and no heater. fish air pump and heater will be added after the tank cycles does any one know how to get rid of the bubbles on the tank or will they go away on there own if so how long will it take? oh and i am upgrading to a HOB in about a week

Attached Files:

2. Akili

Akili Valued Member Member

They will go away in a couple of days as things settle down. Add the heater and other accessories now

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The bubbles should disappear by themselves, you could use a clean unused kitchen sponge to wipe them off the glass.
    To cycle the filter you need an ammonia source to establish the beneficial bacteria, a couple of links that may be useful.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...96-nitrogen-cycle-newbies-friendly-guide.html
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/48446-four-methods-fish-less-cycling.html
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...9627-ammonia-instructions-fishless-cycle.html

4. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

Welcome to fishlore kaitlin!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

By the way, you don't really need an air pump. An HOB filter should circulate and oxygenate the water well by itself.

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to have you here! :)

Yes, if the bubbles are what I think they are, they should just go away on their own. Don't forget to cycle your tank! Read up on the nitrogen cycle! :D

7. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Haha I purchased the exact same tank a few days ago, it should be fine in a few days, mine lost all the bubbles. However, what you're doing better than me is cycling, my excitement for having fish caused me to lose 4 of my 7 guppies that I purchased yesterday :(

8. Shortfuuzze

Many of us have made that mistake bornthisway. Sorry to hear that

9. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Huh?

10. Shortfuuzze

Ooops that comment was meant for happygolucky!

Sorry born!

11. OP
    OP
    k

srry to hear

12. L

Lagiacrus New Member Member

Welcome to fishlore, kaitlin! I just wanted to add that it might help you out to go ahead and add the heater and air pump to your tank now to aid in the cycling process. If you can't get these at the moment though, you'll still be fine.

13. OP
    OP
    k

ya had to order the heater off the internet because my local fish store was outta stock all they had was a heater for an 80 gallon tank heater should be here by monday i hope

14. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

If the hood has a regular incandescent light you can use a CFL 6500 bulb and get really good plant growth.

15. OP
    OP
    k

ya the hood uses standard house light no led the older light bulbs from the 90's lol

16. lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the world of fish keeping! Good advice you're getting here. Please make sure to read up on the nitrogen cycle by clicking the words because it is an important process to out your tank through or you could be exposing your fish to dangerous toxins.

If you're considering fish in cycling I would recommend using Seachem Stability or Tetra SafeStart. Many of us prefer using these because they can provide an almost instant cycle. Beware of other bacteria in a bottle because these are the actual types of bacteria that can survive in water. The differences between Stability and SafeStart are that you can dose Stability over 7 days and you're able to do water changes with things such as Amquel+ and Prime whereas TSS, you dose once and you have to wait 2 weeks to do water changes. I've had rapid success with Stability, having already gotten Nitrates by super dosing (Twice a day and overdosing)

As for water conditioners. I as well as many others recommend Seachem Prime or Kordon Amquel+. These not only neutralize chlorine they also detoxify Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate for 24 hours. In my experience Amquel is cheaper than Prime but it may be different elsewhere.

As for testing your water, steer clear of strips! Liquid kits such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit are much more accurate.

Hope I wasn't too confusing! Good luck!

17. OP
    OP
    k

i read up on the cycling stuff thats in this foum but had to post a new different topic as im a bit confused and stuck in a dilema as well thanks for all the help my friends

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice