Need help with mollie genders

Mvaldez

So I picked up some Gold panda mollies last night but weren’t sure of the gender of both. Thank y’all in advance!

BigB322

The one with the longer top/bottom fins is male the other is a female.

The one by the heater is the male the other is a female. Incase my other comment is confusing.

Mvaldez

BigB322 said:
The one by the heater is the male the other is a female. Incase my other comment is confusing.
You are awesome! Thanks! The associate at the fish store weren’t sure of how to tell for mollies

Mvaldez said:
You are awesome! Thanks! The associate at the fish store weren’t sure of how to tell for mollies
No problem I have a few so it was easy to tell. If you look at the bottom fin of the male it almost looks like he has two and they aren't fully attached like the female's is so he can use his *tool* lol

LawSkool

This might help you.

Mod edit:image removed for copyright issues

BigB322

LawSkool said:
This might help you.
Thank you I couldn't find a pic that was download able.

chromedome52

Both fish are female, but they are different fin varieties. Both have lyretails, but one has the extended lyretail trait, which results in longer dorsal and analfins. The other is the "old" Lyretail, which has regular fins other than the caudal. The fact that they are the same color variation could be confusing.

The male would have a shorter, modified analfin called a gonopodium, just like the photo of the Platy in Coradee's linked page.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom