Need Help With Minor Maitenence...Any tips appreciated!

tankman2

Reaction score
Hi, I have a small problem (nothing major) with one of my tanks. I want to start up a new tank, so in doing so I am taking rock out from a previous tank which I just ended. My problem is this; the rocks have a lot of algae growth on them, very orange like substances growing on it. I have tried scrubbing these rocks with a toothbrush and boiling them and everything but to no avail. The problem is also that the rocks are very rough with a lot of crevices which I am not able to reach just by hand brushing. I would like to know if there are any other methods to clean off these rocks to get them looking like new again. Any response would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it is organic in nature, a 5% bleach solution should take care of it.
The solution is made by adding 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.
Pour the bleach into the water as close as you can to the water, and remember, if you use that container for any other fishy thing, it must be dechloranated first.

Dino

tankman2

Reaction score
hey dino, thanks for responding. so your saying that for every 1 cup of bleach that I put in, I should add 19 cups of water to that? And when I do this, how long do you think I should leave the rocks soaking for? Thanks.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Or what I did was put the rocks in pure Javex over night to soak and then I let them soak in clean water (dechlorinated) for about another day changing the water every hour that I was awake.
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tom I'm not sure what Javex is but the bleach will work(soak a couple of hours or over night) you just have to remember to soak them in dechlorinated water afterwards(overnight is good).
Carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Javex is a very strong bleach.
Tom

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
i knew what you were talking about, im not sure they have javex in the states though

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom