Need Help With Jack Dempsey Gender

JaggedJulian

Reaction score
just got two jack dempsey from petsmart , need help finding out gender and if both are in fact jack dempseys , they both look different but maybe there just so juvenile , I can't notice . one is about 1.5 inches and the other 2 inches . also noted that both of them chase each other like I don't know if there playing or showing dominance , if someone could help me that be greatImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1443175368.204448.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1443175388.979786.jpg

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Hopefully you will receive some responses before long.

Best wishes for your fish and I hope you enjoy the forum.

Ken

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hard to tell with those pics. The dark substrate is making it difficult too. Dempsey are easy to sex. The females have a lot of blue speckling and blue splotches on the head and gill plate. This is not always 100% true, but is a fairly accurate way to sex them.

The pic looks like 2 males to me.

OP
JaggedJulian

JaggedJulian

Reaction score
this any better ? lol they are fast ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1443186107.061518.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1443186149.999310.jpg
hard to get a pic

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The lighter one could be a female.
Still kinda hard to tell, and they are also pretty small.

Are you looking for a pair? Or just curious?

OP
JaggedJulian

JaggedJulian

Reaction score
looking for a pair I intend on breeding them

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice. As long as they are getting along leave them together. It should be easier to sex them in a month or 2. But if I had to guess I'd say you have a male and female.

Google sexing Jack Dempsey's. There are lots of sites with tips on reliable ways to do it.

EDIT: after looking at the second set of pics again they may both be female..

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They're a bit young yet for me, and dark. Any reason you have them with no decor?

OP
JaggedJulian

JaggedJulian

Reaction score
yeah thanks , and they are going after each other in a 75 gallon tank I don't understand lol maybe it's too warm I saw somewhere that said heat makes them more aggressive, and yeah I saw breeding tips before I got them , just wish it was easier to Id there sex >.< first you say male male then female male and now female female , I'll post a pic in a month or two and ask again for there sex but thank for your time this is my first pair of jacks I use to have oscars but I switched it up

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JaggedJulian said:
yeah thanks , and they are going after each other in a 75 gallon tank I don't understand lol maybe it's too warm I saw somewhere that said heat makes them more aggressive, and yeah I saw breeding tips before I got them , just wish it was easier to Id there sex >.< first you say male male then female male and now female female , I'll post a pic in a month or two and ask again for there sex but thank for your time this is my first pair of jacks I use to have oscars but I switched it up
Sorry about going back and forth. It looks like there could be some gill plate speckling on both of them.
And both dorsal fins also look very round. To be honest at this size I just don't know and probably should have said that in the first place and left it at that. Post pics in another month or so it might be easier then.

They are actually one of the easier cichlid to sex when the are more mature.

Granamyr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You asked why they are going after in a 75 gallon. Some of that is just because Jack's like to chase each other. Some of it is because you appear to have no decorations in your tank for them to hide behind. They love to hide in caves and behind stuff. They don't like always being out in the open even though they swim around in the open most of the time.

brettturpin

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The lighter one has a pointed dorsal fin which could indicate a male as my 5" male Jack looks very similar as my female is dark with real bright stripes under her lower jaw and has a rounded dorsal fin. Male will be bigger and bulkier where the female will be a torpedo shape and smaller

New Threads