Need Help With Fancy Goldfish Torn Fins

Misstubbytubtub

Member
My pleco died a few months ago and got out of the habit until recently. I decided to use fancy goldfishes as my main attraction and went to get 3 at my lfs. Currently, my 55 gallon is stocked with 2 upsidedown catfish and hide in the driftwood, 3 tetras, and 3 rasboras I think, and the 3 goldfishes (black moor, oranda, calico fancy tail). The black moor and the oranda looked healthy except for the calico and didn't see it at the store. I noticed the black moor and the oranda have had splitting I found a few days ago. I decided to add aquarium salt (10 TBS) and increased the temp to help the healing and did a 25% water change twice over the weekend. While my fish are all acting fine, I don't know what's causing the fins to fringe like this and it doesn't look like the typical fin rot either (but please correct me if I'm wrong). It may be from stress but I'm not sure.

I did recently just change aquarium filter from aqeuon 55 to Aquaclear 70 and didn't save any filter media from the previous one. Parameters are: nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 10ppm, and 0 ammonia, 6.8-7.0 pH level (tap water is 6.8), temp is 27/28 C. All aquarium have been there before for 4 years at least. I've had the upside clownfish the longest currently for about a year and same the tetras.

Do I need to do more water changes? Or am I currently in a new tank syndrome by accident? I don't really know what's happening?

[nitrate reading ]()

[Goldies]()

[Black Moor]()

[Parameters]()
 

Galathiel

Member
Fancy goldfish have very delicate fins. I would make sure that there isn't something in the aquarium that they are catching their fins on. Be prepared for the water changes. I normally do a 60-70 percent water change each week.

It's usually best to keep goldfish by themselves. While they are temperate fish, they do better at lower temperatures than a lot of tropical fish are comfortable with.
 

Discus-Tang

Member
Firstly there are a few stock issues.
-Goldfish cannot live with tropical fish. The temperature you have will set their metabolism to dysentry.
-you need to have at least 6 tetras and 6 rasboras.
-your tank is overstocked. Easily solved by removing goldfish.
The torn fins could be nips, or catching their fins on something.
 
  • Thread Starter

Misstubbytubtub

Member
Discus-Tang said:
Firstly there are a few stock issues.
-Goldfish cannot live with tropical fish. The temperature you have will set their metabolism to dysentry.
-you need to have at least 6 tetras and 6 rasboras.
-your tank is overstocked. Easily solved by removing goldfish.
The torn fins could be nips, or catching their fins on something.
So you don't think it's anything like fin rot? I lowered down the temperatures for now. Ill also place or rehome the tetras and rasboras. But for now, o want to know if my water quality is also an issue.

Galathiel said:
Fancy goldfish have very delicate fins. I would make sure that there isn't something in the aquarium that they are catching their fins on. Be prepared for the water changes. I normally do a 60-70 percent water change each week.

It's usually best to keep goldfish by themselves. While they are temperate fish, they do better at lower temperatures than a lot of tropical fish are comfortable with.
There is a plastic plant I've had there for 2 years. I think I'll remove it. As for my water changes, would you recommend I do another today? I've been doing it every 2 days ever since I noticed the issue. And what do you think iutmy water quality? Is it fin rot?
 

OneLittleBubble

Member
For goldfish, you normally don't want anything really in the tank, unless it's real, like plants.

It just makes things harder to clean.
 
  • Thread Starter

Misstubbytubtub

Member
OneLittleBubble said:
For goldfish, you normally don't want anything really in the tank, unless it's real, like plants.

It just makes things harder to clean.
While I understand this, I have seen many established tanks have gravel or sand and rocks for their goldfish tanks. I had one that I kept for 3 years before he died and the decorations were never an issue. Then again, he was also a Commet/feeder fish. I am more worried about my water quality..
 

Galathiel

Member
I will say that goldfish do not do well with gravel. It's a perfect size to pick up while sifting on the bottom and getting a piece stuck in their mouth. Has happened several times to someone I know. They eventually had to remove all their gravel.

I would shoot for having the temperature around 70 degrees. Check everything in the tank for sharp edges. If you really want to keep the goldfish, then I would rehome all the non-goldfish tank mates and don't get any more. With nothing else in there and once you resolve the fin issues, you could probably add another fancy goldfish down the line.
 
  • Thread Starter

Misstubbytubtub

Member
Galathiel said:
I will say that goldfish do not do well with gravel. It's a perfect size to pick up while sifting on the bottom and getting a piece stuck in their mouth. Has happened several times to someone I know. They eventually had to remove all their gravel.

I would shoot for having the temperature around 70 degrees. Check everything in the tank for sharp edges. If you really want to keep the goldfish, then I would rehome all the non-goldfish tank mates and don't get any more. With nothing else in there and once you resolve the fin issues, you could probably add another fancy goldfish down the line.
Okay, I will rehome the other guys and up the temp. Thank you so much for you help! They're worryingg me but hopefully this resolves the issue soon.
 

Discus-Tang

Member
I would recommend rehoming your goldfish, rather than rehoming the schools. Imo 55 gallons is not really enough for 3 goldfish. If you put them in a 75 that would be good.

And you said you didn't save any filter media. This would kill your cycle so if I were you I'd do 50 per cent water changes with stability everyday.
 

Galathiel

Member
I don't know of any commonly held criteria that states that you need 25 gallons per fancy goldfish. Most commonly I've seen 20 gallons for first fish and 10 gallons for each subsequent fancy.
 

Discus-Tang

Member
Galathiel said:
I don't know of any commonly held criteria that states that you need 25 gallons per fancy goldfish. Most commonly I've seen 20 gallons for first fish and 10 gallons for each subsequent fancy.
I actually consider myself one of the less conservative goldfish keepers. A lot will tell you 40, 50 gallons.
 

Goldiemom

Member
Gravel is fine with goldfish. I have it in all of my tanks. 55G is plenty for 3 fancy goldfish, I have 4 in mine. However, never put goldfish with tropical fish. The tropicals will pick the goldfish to death and is probably what is wrong with the fins, although the black moor does seem to have tail rot. Please, please get the tropicals out right away. Also, the goldfish alone will produce a huge bio load. Be prepared to change water mid-week and weekends. Nitrates rise quickly if water isn’t changed enough.
 
  • Thread Starter

Misstubbytubtub

Member
Galathiel said:
I will say that goldfish do not do well with gravel. It's a perfect size to pick up while sifting on the bottom and getting a piece stuck in their mouth. Has happened several times to someone I know. They eventually had to remove all their gravel.

I would shoot for having the temperature around 70 degrees. Check everything in the tank for sharp edges. If you really want to keep the goldfish, then I would rehome all the non-goldfish tank mates and don't get any more. With nothing else in there and once you resolve the fin issues, you could probably add another fancy goldfish down the line.
I took out any sharp edges and also did a 50 percent water change. I decided to rehome the tropicals. I currently can't change the gravel and theyre big enough not to get stuck because the Goldies are all too small. I do plan on changing the gravel to sand somewhere in the future though. The tropicals that were nipping are currently seperated so hopefully this helps more with the healing.

Goldiemom said:
Gravel is fine with goldfish. I have it in all of my tanks. 55G is plenty for goldfish, I have 4 in mine. However, never put goldfish with tropical fish. The tropicals will pick the goldfish to death and is probably what is wrong with the fins. Please, please get the tropicals out right away. Also, the goldfish alone will produce a huge bio load. Be prepared to change water mid-week and weekends. Nitrates rise quickly if water isn’t changed enough.
I've been doing 25 to 50 percent water changes everyday for the last week to keep the ammonia and nitrite under control. I'm hoping this helps them. Tropicals will be rehomed and the ones that I found out did nip fins are currently seperated. Thank you for the advice and I really hope this all works out for me.
 

Discus-Tang

Member
Misstubbytubtub said:
I took out any sharp edges and also did a 50 percent water change. I decided to rehome the tropicals. I currently can't change the gravel and theyre big enough not to get stuck because the Goldies are all too small. I do plan on changing the gravel to sand somewhere in the future though. The tropicals that were nipping are currently seperated so hopefully this helps more with the healing.
Just beware, if your goldfish live long enough you will have 24 inches of goldfish in that tank!

Don't get a fourth goldfish!
 

Goldiemom

Member
Misstubbytubtub said:
I've been doing 25 to 50 percent water changes everyday for the last week to keep the ammonia and nitrite under control. I'm hoping this helps them. Tropicals will be rehomed and the ones that I found out did nip fins are currently seperated. Thank you for the advice and I really hope this all works out for me.
It will. Goldfish are my absolute favorite fish and they are tough. Clean water and only the goldfish in tank should make the difference. If the tail doesn’t clear up, get some Artemiss Micro-Lift.
 
  • Thread Starter

Misstubbytubtub

Member
Discus-Tang said:
Just beware, if your goldfish live long enough you will have 24 inches of goldfish in that tank!
I've read that the fancy tails and any fancy goldfish tend to get to about a 10 to 12 inches max long. Common goldfish I know can get to a 12 inches at least long which mine was about more than a year ago (I was less experienced then but I loved that guy).

Goldiemom said:
It will. Goldfish are my absolute favorite fish and they are tough. Clean water and only the goldfish in tank should make the difference. If the tail doesn’t clear up, get some Artemiss Micro-Lift.
Rather than melafix? I currently have a bottle of melafix but I haven't added it in yet until I absolutely need to.
 

Goldiemom

Member
Discus-Tang said:
Just beware, if your goldfish live long enough you will have 24 inches of goldfish in that tank!
Correct! Still ok. Fancies don’t swim like schooling fish. They wiggle around. Usually, they won’t hit the 8” mark either but could. Keep in mind too, that the 8” is mouth to tail. In fancies, it’s more tail which can easily be 3” on its own. Definitely keep sharp objects out of the way.

Misstubbytubtub said:
Rather than melafix? I currently have a bottle of melafix but I haven't added it in yet until I absolutely need to.
Melafix will be just fine. A lot of people don’t like it but I do.

Misstubbytubtub said:
I've read that the fancy tails and any fancy goldfish tend to get to about a 10 to 12 inches max long. Common goldfish I know can get to a 12 inches at least long which mine was about more than a year ago (I was less experienced then but I loved that guy).
Actually fancies normally max out at 8” and Common’s can get up to 18”.
 

Keith83

Member
Goldiemom said:
Correct! Still ok. Fancies don’t swim like schooling fish. They wiggle around. Usually, they won’t hit the 8” mark either but could. Keep in mind too, that the 8” is mouth to tail. In fancies, it’s more tail which can easily be 3” on its own. Definitely keep sharp objects out of the way.
Does a short, fat fancy goldfish of 8 inches cary the same bio load as a 12 inch comet?
 

Goldiemom

Member
Discus-Tang said:
Just beware, if your goldfish live long enough you will have 24 inches of goldfish in that tank!

Don't get a fourth goldfish!
I have 4 in mine so I guess I’m bad. It’s 20G for first one and 10G for each additional.

Keith83 said:
Does a short, fat fancy goldfish of 8 inches cary the same bio load as a 12 inch comet?
They all have huge bio loads. Your fancies are just fine. Like I said, I have 4
 
  • Thread Starter

Misstubbytubtub

Member
Keith83 said:
Does a short, fat fancy goldfish of 8 inches cary the same bio load as a 12 inch comet?
I agree with what Goldiemom says. They're all big waste makers so it's best to probably consider them all the same in terms of bioload (please correct me). I guess as long as you're consistent with your water changes, bioload shouldn't be a big issue.

Goldiemom said:
I have 4 in mine so I guess I’m bad. It’s 20G for first one and 10G for each additional.
This is what I've read as well in many sources as long as your filtration is greater than your tank. I do want to upgrade in the future but that is a long ways ahead.

Goldiemom said:
Melafix will be just fine. A lot of people don’t like it but I do.
Thank you!
 

Goldiemom

Member
Misstubbytubtub said:
This is what I've read as well in many sources as long as your filtration is greater than your tank. I do want to upgrade in the future but that is a long ways ahead.
Agree. I failed to mention that I have 2 hob filters on mine. I would like to get a 75G myself, eventually.
 

Discus-Tang

Member
Goldiemom said:
Melafix will be just fine. A lot of people don’t like it but I do.
Melafix is inneffective because it can't emulsify with the water. It just sits on top.
 

Goldiemom

Member
Discus-Tang said:
Melafix is inneffective because it can't emulsify with the water. It just sits on top.
Well, we just have to agree to disagree tonight. Lol. Melafix has always worked well for me on fin rot. A lot of people don’t like it though. Good thing there are so many choices out there.
 
  • Thread Starter

Misstubbytubtub

Member
Goldiemom said:
Agree. I failed to mention that I have 2 hob filters on mine. I would like to get a 75G myself, eventually.
How much would you say is your filtration?
 

Discus-Tang

Member
Misstubbytubtub said:
How much would you say is your filtration?
You should get a filter that pumps 550 gallons an hour or more.

Goldiemom said:
Well, we just have to agree to disagree tonight. Lol. Melafix has always worked well for me on fin rot. A lot of people don’t like it though. Good thing there are so many choices out there.
Personally I've had better luck with malachite green based medicine.
 
  • Thread Starter

Misstubbytubtub

Member

Goldiemom

Member
I do need to clarify my comments above regarding stocking. It really depends on how much work you want to put into your tank. 3 fancies are definitely easier as far as bio load goes. 4 is acceptable if you don’t mind extra w/c’s and have strong filtration and proper equipment. I have a Python that hooks up to the sink and I can do 50% w/c in about 15 mins. So it’s no big deal for me. I do changes twice a week. Now, if I had to carry buckets back and forth I wouldn’t want to have to do the extra work. Just wanted to clarify that. I was laying here thinking and felt I may be misleading someone if I didn’t clarify this. Rule of thumb is 20G for first fancy and 10G for each additional.
 

Discus-Tang

Member
  • Thread Starter

Misstubbytubtub

Member
Discus-Tang said:
Anything with Malachite green. I use an Australian brand.
Okay, I'll look into it if I do need to use the medicines. I'm kind of tight on a budget but I'll try my best.

Goldiemom said:
I do need to clarify my comments above regarding stocking. It really depends on how much work you want to put into your tank. 3 fancies are definitely easier as far as bio load goes. 4 is acceptable if you don’t mind extra w/c’s and have strong filtration and proper equipment. I have a Python that hooks up to the sink and I can do 50% w/c in about 15 mins. So it’s no big deal for me. I do changes twice a week. Now, if I had to carry buckets back and forth I wouldn’t want to have to do the extra work. Just wanted to clarify that. I was laying here thinking and felt I may be misleading someone if I didn’t clarify this. Rule of thumb is 20G for first fancy and 10G for each additional.
I use a long hose to do the water changes and the hose outside is long enough to reach so it's not a big issue. Currently tight on a budget but I'm willing to do the extra water changes if my Aquaclear 70 isn't enough until I get a second filter to add.
 

Goldiemom

Member
Misstubbytubtub said:
How much would you say is your filtration?
Sorry, just saw this. I have an Aqua Clear 70 and an Aqua Tech 60 which came with the tank. I will eventually switch the Aqua Tech out for another Aqua Clear.
 

Galathiel

Member
For HoBs, it's a good idea to shoot for 10x turnover of your water. If you have a canister (that's what I have), then 4-5x turnover is acceptable.

As to gravel, like I said, it's fine until it isn't. It isn't recommended for goldfish aquariums for the reason I stated earlier. It isn't nebulous .. it actually does and has happened multiple times to someone I know. Goldfish have big mouths! Bare bottom or sand is safer.

I use a python water changer to do my water changes. I love it!
 

Goldiemom

Member
There are pros and cons for both. Sand can be harmful to their gills. Bare bottom is actually the best and what I use for my fry tank.
 

Galathiel

Member
Bare bottom is definitely easiest to keep clean.

OP, hopefully your fishes' fins will heal quickly with frequent water changes. I would also make sure they are not straying too close to your filters and getting them caught up in it/them. You may have to get a pre-filter to put on it in that case.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom