Need Help With Fancy Goldfish Torn Fins

Misstubbytubtub

Valued Member
Reaction score
My pleco died a few months ago and got out of the habit until recently. I decided to use fancy goldfishes as my main attraction and went to get 3 at my lfs. Currently, my 55g is stocked with 2 upsidedown catfish and hide in the driftwood, 3 tetras, and 3 rasboras I think, and the 3 goldfishes (black moor, oranda, calico fancy tail). The black moor and the oranda looked healthy except for the calico and didn't see it at the store. I noticed the black moor and the oranda have had splitting I found a few days ago. I decided to add aquarium salt (10 TBS) and increased the temp to help the healing and did a 25% water change twice over the weekend. While my fish are all acting fine, I don't know what's causing the fins to fringe like this and it doesn't look like the typical fin rot either (but please correct me if I'm wrong). It may be from stress but I'm not sure.

I did recently just change aquarium filter from aqeuon 55 to Aquaclear 70 and didn't save any filter media from the previous one. Parameters are: nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 10ppm, and 0 ammonia, 6.8-7.0 pH level (tap water is 6.8), temp is 27/28 C. All aquarium have been there before for 4 years at least. I've had the upside clownfish the longest currently for about a year and same the tetras.

Do I need to do more water changes? Or am I currently in a new tank syndrome by accident? I don't really know what's happening?

[nitrate reading ](https://i.imgur.com/wt0YkOi.jpg)

[Goldies](https://i.imgur.com/ob4LQgj.jpg)

[Black Moor](https://i.imgur.com/PyD02sd.jpg)

[Parameters](https://i.imgur.com/Hp3RoPi.jpg)

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fancy goldfish have very delicate fins. I would make sure that there isn't something in the aquarium that they are catching their fins on. Be prepared for the water changes. I normally do a 60-70 percent water change each week.

It's usually best to keep goldfish by themselves. While they are temperate fish, they do better at lower temperatures than a lot of tropical fish are comfortable with.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Firstly there are a few stock issues.
-Goldfish cannot live with tropical fish. The temperature you have will set their metabolism to dysentry.
-you need to have at least 6 tetras and 6 rasboras.
-your tank is overstocked. Easily solved by removing goldfish.
The torn fins could be nips, or catching their fins on something.

Misstubbytubtub

Valued Member
Reaction score
Firstly there are a few stock issues.
-Goldfish cannot live with tropical fish. The temperature you have will set their metabolism to dysentry.
-you need to have at least 6 tetras and 6 rasboras.
-your tank is overstocked. Easily solved by removing goldfish.
The torn fins could be nips, or catching their fins on something.
So you don't think it's anything like fin rot? I lowered down the temperatures for now. Ill also place or rehome the tetras and rasboras. But for now, o want to know if my water quality is also an issue.

Fancy goldfish have very delicate fins. I would make sure that there isn't something in the aquarium that they are catching their fins on. Be prepared for the water changes. I normally do a 60-70 percent water change each week.

It's usually best to keep goldfish by themselves. While they are temperate fish, they do better at lower temperatures than a lot of tropical fish are comfortable with.
There is a plastic plant I've had there for 2 years. I think I'll remove it. As for my water changes, would you recommend I do another today? I've been doing it every 2 days ever since I noticed the issue. And what do you think iutmy water quality? Is it fin rot?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For goldfish, you normally don't want anything really in the tank, unless it's real, like plants.

It just makes things harder to clean.

Misstubbytubtub

Valued Member
Reaction score
For goldfish, you normally don't want anything really in the tank, unless it's real, like plants.

It just makes things harder to clean.
While I understand this, I have seen many established tanks have gravel or sand and rocks for their goldfish tanks. I had one that I kept for 3 years before he died and the decorations were never an issue. Then again, he was also a Commet/feeder fish. I am more worried about my water quality..

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will say that goldfish do not do well with gravel. It's a perfect size to pick up while sifting on the bottom and getting a piece stuck in their mouth. Has happened several times to someone I know. They eventually had to remove all their gravel.

I would shoot for having the temperature around 70 degrees. Check everything in the tank for sharp edges. If you really want to keep the goldfish, then I would rehome all the non-goldfish tankmates and don't get any more. With nothing else in there and once you resolve the fin issues, you could probably add another fancy goldfish down the line.

Misstubbytubtub

Valued Member
Reaction score
I will say that goldfish do not do well with gravel. It's a perfect size to pick up while sifting on the bottom and getting a piece stuck in their mouth. Has happened several times to someone I know. They eventually had to remove all their gravel.

I would shoot for having the temperature around 70 degrees. Check everything in the tank for sharp edges. If you really want to keep the goldfish, then I would rehome all the non-goldfish tankmates and don't get any more. With nothing else in there and once you resolve the fin issues, you could probably add another fancy goldfish down the line.
Okay, I will rehome the other guys and up the temp. Thank you so much for you help! They're worryingg me but hopefully this resolves the issue soon.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would recommend rehoming your goldfish, rather than rehoming the schools. Imo 55 gallons is not really enough for 3 goldfish. If you put them in a 75 that would be good.

And you said you didn't save any filter media. This would kill your cycle so if I were you I'd do 50 per cent water changes with stability everyday.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know of any commonly held criteria that states that you need 25 gallons per fancy goldfish. Most commonly I've seen 20 gallons for first fish and 10 gallons for each subsequent fancy.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't know of any commonly held criteria that states that you need 25 gallons per fancy goldfish. Most commonly I've seen 20 gallons for first fish and 10 gallons for each subsequent fancy.
I actually consider myself one of the less conservative goldfish keepers. A lot will tell you 40, 50 gallons.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gravel is fine with goldfish. I have it in all of my tanks. 55G is plenty for 3 fancy goldfish, I have 4 in mine. However, never put goldfish with tropical fish. The tropicals will pick the goldfish to death and is probably what is wrong with the fins, although the black moor does seem to have tail rot. Please, please get the tropicals out right away. Also, the goldfish alone will produce a huge bio load. Be prepared to change water mid-week and weekends. Nitrates rise quickly if water isn’t changed enough.

Misstubbytubtub

Valued Member
Reaction score

I took out any sharp edges and also did a 50 percent water change. I decided to rehome the tropicals. I currently can't change the gravel and theyre big enough not to get stuck because the Goldies are all too small. I do plan on changing the gravel to sand somewhere in the future though. The tropicals that were nipping are currently seperated so hopefully this helps more with the healing.

Gravel is fine with goldfish. I have it in all of my tanks. 55G is plenty for goldfish, I have 4 in mine. However, never put goldfish with tropical fish. The tropicals will pick the goldfish to death and is probably what is wrong with the fins. Please, please get the tropicals out right away. Also, the goldfish alone will produce a huge bio load. Be prepared to change water mid-week and weekends. Nitrates rise quickly if water isn’t changed enough.
I've been doing 25 to 50 percent water changes everyday for the last week to keep the ammonia and nitrite under control. I'm hoping this helps them. Tropicals will be rehomed and the ones that I found out did nip fins are currently seperated. Thank you for the advice and I really hope this all works out for me.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I took out any sharp edges and also did a 50 percent water change. I decided to rehome the tropicals. I currently can't change the gravel and theyre big enough not to get stuck because the Goldies are all too small. I do plan on changing the gravel to sand somewhere in the future though. The tropicals that were nipping are currently seperated so hopefully this helps more with the healing.
Just beware, if your goldfish live long enough you will have 24 inches of goldfish in that tank!

Don't get a fourth goldfish!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been doing 25 to 50 percent water changes everyday for the last week to keep the ammonia and nitrite under control. I'm hoping this helps them. Tropicals will be rehomed and the ones that I found out did nip fins are currently seperated. Thank you for the advice and I really hope this all works out for me.
It will. Goldfish are my absolute favorite fish and they are tough. Clean water and only the goldfish in tank should make the difference. If the tail doesn’t clear up, get some Artemiss Micro-Lift.

Misstubbytubtub

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just beware, if your goldfish live long enough you will have 24 inches of goldfish in that tank!
I've read that the fancy tails and any fancy goldfish tend to get to about a 10 to 12 inches max long. Common goldfish I know can get to a 12 inches at least long which mine was about more than a year ago (I was less experienced then but I loved that guy).

It will. Goldfish are my absolute favorite fish and they are tough. Clean water and only the goldfish in tank should make the difference. If the tail doesn’t clear up, get some Artemiss Micro-Lift.
Rather than melafix? I currently have a bottle of melafix but I haven't added it in yet until I absolutely need to.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Correct! Still ok. Fancies don’t swim like schooling fish. They wiggle around. Usually, they won’t hit the 8” mark either but could. Keep in mind too, that the 8” is mouth to tail. In fancies, it’s more tail which can easily be 3” on its own. Definately keep sharp objects out of the way.

Rather than melafix? I currently have a bottle of melafix but I haven't added it in yet until I absolutely need to.
Melafix will be just fine. A lot of people don’t like it but I do.

I've read that the fancy tails and any fancy goldfish tend to get to about a 10 to 12 inches max long. Common goldfish I know can get to a 12 inches at least long which mine was about more than a year ago (I was less experienced then but I loved that guy).
Actually fancies normally max out at 8” and Common’s can get up to 18”.

Keith83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Correct! Still ok. Fancies don’t swim like schooling fish. They wiggle around. Usually, they won’t hit the 8” mark either but could. Keep in mind too, that the 8” is mouth to tail. In fancies, it’s more tail which can easily be 3” on its own. Definately keep sharp objects out of the way.
Does a short, fat fancy goldfish of 8 inches cary the same bio load as a 12 inch comet?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Don't get a fourth goldfish!
I have 4 in mine so I guess I’m bad. It’s 20G for first one and 10G for each additional.

Does a short, fat fancy goldfish of 8 inches cary the same bio load as a 12 inch comet?
They all have huge bio loads. Your fancies are just fine. Like I said, I have 4

Misstubbytubtub

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree with what Goldiemom says. They're all big waste makers so it's best to probably consider them all the same in terms of bioload (please correct me). I guess as long as you're consistent with your water changes, bioload shouldn't be a big issue.

I have 4 in mine so I guess I’m bad. It’s 20G for first one and 10G for each additional.
This is what I've read as well in many sources as long as your filtration is greater than your tank. I do want to upgrade in the future but that is a long ways ahead.

Melafix will be just fine. A lot of people don’t like it but I do.
Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom