Help Need help with Dwarf Gourami sex & Type of Cory Cat

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just double checking my new inhabitants are what I was sold.

Was told they where albino cories and a male gourami.
20200122_145706.jpg
20200122_150202.jpg

OP
Ambie

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Falena said:
That is definitely a male dwarf gouramI and those are albino Corydoras Aeneus :)
I alway thought their eyes were red.

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ambie said:
I alway thought their eyes were red.
True albino do have red eyes yes. Sorry about that. I've had "albino" peppered cories that had Xanthorism instead. Eliminating the red eyes, but they're usually more yellow. DoubleDutch taught me about mine, perhaps they will be able to elaborate. They could be leucistic?

OP
Ambie

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Falena said:
True albino do have red eyes yes. Sorry about that. I've had "albino" peppered cories that had Xanthorism instead. Eliminating the red eyes, but they're usually more yellow. DoubleDutch taught me about mine, perhaps they will be able to elaborate. They could be leucistic?
I always worry when buying fish/shrimp from places like petco, because they may have something mislabeled. Then it wind up being to large for the tank.

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ambie said:
I always worry when buying fish/shrimp from places like petco, because they may have something mislabeled. Then it wind up being to large for the tank.
Yeah, I don't blame you. I'm in the UK so we don't have Petco, but we do have similar chain stores that are equally as notorious for mislabeling. So I can relate. Well I can confirm 100% you have a male DG at least lol and I'm quite confident those are c.aeneus whatever color they are. But I'm definitely no cory expert so it's best to wait on doubledutch who knows their stuff :)

Corydork

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Looks like your Cory is a bronze Cory with Xanthorism, but I’ll leave that for doubledutch to answer. As for the gender, it Looks to be a female.
I’m no DG expert, but I have bred them. It looks to be a female to me. MissNoodle is my go to for anything I don’t know.

fishsavvy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Falena said:
The OP doesn't have an albino corydora. It is an bronze cory or emerald. I can't tell because of how the light shines on the cory. Even albino's have yellow-ish skin and red eyes. That is a DQ(your other fish)
Edit: here is an albino eating a blood worm and here is a bronze on the left and emerald on the right

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishsavvy said:
The OP doesn't have an albino corydora. It is an bronze cory or emerald. I can't tell because of how the light shines on the cory. Even albino's have yellow-ish skin and red eyes. That is a DQ(your other fish)
Albino cories are most often albino bronze cories C.aeneus, as I already stated above. The fish is very pale and was advertised as albino, yet doesn't have pink eyes, hence my suggestion of xanthorism or leucism, both colour morphs of the same species

fishsavvy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Falena said:
Albino cories are most often albino bronze cories C.aeneus, as I already states above. The fish is very pale hence my suggestion of xanthorism or leucism, both colour morphs of the same species
Pale means making them white. There are some white albinos, but they all have red eyes. The OP's fish doesn't have red eyes. But we can wait to see what others say.

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Corydork said:
I’m no DG expert, but I have bred them. It looks to be a female to me.
I've also bred dwarf gourami, some 8-9 years ago. The females usually have little to no markings and are a silver colour. They look quite different from males in color, shape and size :)

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish in the pic is a quite pale light green C.aeneus, not albino, not leucistic and not xanthistic (yellow with blue iris and black eye).

See the pics at this page. The yellow Xanthistic one was mine.

Corydoras(ln6) paleatus • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog - planet catfish

fishsavvy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
The fish in the pic is a quite pale light green C.aeneus, not albino, not leucistic and not xanthistic (yellow with blue iris and black eye).

Still can't figure out what type mine are ;)

OP
Ambie

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:

So it's a color mutation of bronze?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ambie said:
So it's a color mutation of bronze?
C.aeneus comes in several types and colors. Yours in fact resembles one of the first C.aeneus found in Trinidad

Have look here

Corydoras(ln7) cf. aeneus • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog - planet catfish

fishsavvy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
C.aeneus comes in several types and colors. Yours in fact resembles one of the first C.aeneus found in Trinidad

Have look here

Corydoras(ln7) cf. aeneus • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog - planet catfish
That or he is just dull from stress. He may brighten up as he gets used to the environment.

fishsavvy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
Start an own thread and add some pics so we can see if we can answer the question.
You have tried and couldn't :) it is fine. This isn't my thread anyway

OP
Ambie

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:
Start an own thread and add some pics so we can see if we can answer the question.
Thanks for the help

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ambie , lol that got a little confusing and messy. But yes, you have a pale colored bronze Cory (C.Aeneus) incase it wasn't clear :)
And definitely a male DG

New Threads