Need Help With Driftwood For A Pleco!

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by ChrisTheFishkeeper2004, Apr 19, 2018.

1. ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

ChrisTheFishkeeper2004 Valued Member Member

Hello! I just bought a “mama” Pleco... atleast that is what the man called them, and I forgot to ask him if they need to have driftwood in there diet... but obviously I forgot... haha, well I was wondering do mama Plecos need driftwood? I’m gonna post a picture of him when I had just bought him just to make sure it is a mama Pleco.

So it is my bday today... and my parents went out and got me a mama Plec I since they know that I had a bit of an algae problem for my 70 gallon community tank, and I added him/her to the tank and I was wondering how big these guys get... I don’t want anything over 6 inches

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Post a picture of the pleco so we can ID it. If it's a common pleco then it will definitely get over 6in.

3. toran

toran Valued Member Member

I googled it and monster fish.com said about 40". Not a small fish. They sure are pretty.

BTW, Happy Birthday.

4. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

ChrisTheFishkeeper2004 Valued Member Member

Thank you... wow 40”! That’s huge... my parents told me that the man said 3-4 inches... we got duped lol...

That’s him, and I know it’s not a common Pleco... I think... lol

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  5. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

There are many different species of plecos. The only pleco I know that can get over 3 feet is the Adonis pleco. Commons can get relatively large, but not even close to 40".

That could be a juvenile Adonis, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  6. toran

toran Valued Member Member

Oops, thanks for the correction.

They were talking about the A. Adonis. They said the LFS said 3-4 inches and joked that maybe he really said 34".

I quickly read about 3 different sites. Sorry OP for saying the wrong thing.

7. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Hard to tell from the pic but most plecos with those spots will be 4" to 10". If the store said 3-4", I'm gonna guess a type of Hypancistrus pleco (L471?).

A common pleco can get to about 24".

*Edit*
    L471 are more carnivorous so it won't really help with your algae problem.

8. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly, I never heard of it called Mama pleco, which now I think is another common name for Adonis.

9. T

Tesla Valued Member Member

Plecos need a driftwood :) tough to say if it is a mama pleco from the pic and imo it looks too young to find out .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice