Need Help With Disease Identification And Treatment

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by vtfish, Apr 26, 2017.

1. vtfishNew MemberMember

I have a 29 gallon that has been stocked for about a year now. Over the last couple months, I have lost 6 corys and 3 honey gouramis. It's as if they waste away, one by one. First they lose color, then sit limp on the bottom of the tank (sometimes they just lie on their sides). From the time they look sick until death is as much as a week. Whatever this is, it is confined to only some types of fish, as 9 harlequin rasboras, 6 diamond tetras, and 4 amano shrimp are completely unaffected.

Water temp is about 77 degrees (I had been higher, but I cooled it down a it to see if that would help). I haven't checked parameters in a few days, but it has been ammonia 0+ (possible tinge of green in water, but not as much as .25, possibly this is just from tap water); 0 nitrite; about 5 nitrate. I do weekly water changes.

Any thoughts? I would really like to restock the corys and the honeys, but reluctant to do so until I figure out what they are dying of.

2. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

What Corys and what are you feeding?

3. vtfishNew MemberMember

4. vtfishNew MemberMember

I should also clarify that the corys and gouramis I lost were all of them!

5. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

What dechlorinator are you using? Have you tested pH? What other chemicals are you using besides dechlorinator?

6. vtfishNew MemberMember

I use Prime with every water change, using a Python, add most of a capful at the beginning of a refill. Ph is pretty steady at about 7.6, water pretty soft (though I can't remember exact numbers right now). Only other chemical I use is Seachem flourish a couple times a week; and I have some Flourish root tabs in there (but haven't replaced them in a while). I will say that this problem started sometime after I began using the python - is it possible there is something I am doing wrong that could be causing the deaths (but only with particular fish, not others)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice