Need Help With Discus Fish Keeping..!!

1. A

Agentman Initiate Member

Heyy friends, I have had fish tank for almost 3 to 4 years .I have had gold fishes and currently i have blood parrot fish in them. I plan to put discus fish in them after removing the parrots.My tank is 35 gallon tank.,how many discus shall i keep. Pls help me guys....

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

I would not get discus; they require some extra care and your tank is way too small to have them; even just one. I've got a group averaging 6-8 inches. They do better in groups and get large; I say a minimum for them would be at least a 75g for a good set-up that can be well maintained.

Are you open to other options?

Also, you can't keep discus with goldfish; discus require a much higher temperature than what goldfish can be comfortable in for the duration of their lives.

And how many goldfish and what kind of goldfish do you have? They also get quite large (depending on the type) and should have a bigger home

3. OP
    OP
    A

Agentman Initiate Member

I have only two parrot fish in it

4. KinsKicks

Ok; thanks for clarifying about the goldfish :). Still would not recommend getting discus tho. Not only would there be not enough space the parrots can be quite aggressive and discus are not fighters; and in a cramped tank, they may be bullied to death.

5. OP
    OP
    A

Agentman Initiate Member

Sorry for my wrong calculation my tank is actually arround 82cms×43cms×36cms
    and it almost holds 43gallons of water. I'm planning to completely remove all the fishes in my tank and put in only the discus.

6. KinsKicks

I still thinks that's 30ish gallons. I converted back to inches (sorry lol..I work in inches :p)

32in x 17in x 14in and divide by 231 = 32.9 gallons, but I tend to round down when you account for substrate and decorations

7. OP
    OP
    A

Agentman Initiate Member

Thanks for your suggestions.

8. f

fishfanman Member Member

It can be done with 5 discus about 4 inches in size. But you really have to be an expert at keeping the water clean. They will get stunted meaning they will not grow much larger than that in a small tank. A bit cruel, but if you're ok with that this can be done. Many discus experts will tell you can't but it can be done.

9. KinsKicks

Oh goodness, I beg you please don't do that; it's very cruel. And it's not a matter of if it can be done, but if it should be done; and I strongly believe it should not be.

There are a plethora of other beautiful fish whom will work splendidly in your tank

10. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Have you done it?

11. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Knowing how delicate discus are and how frustrating it is to keep them alive... stuffing discus into a tank so much smaller than the recommended minimum sounds like a good way to fill your trashcan with money and dead discuss.

I would either do tons of research on proper discus care before even considering it, or just get something else.

12. OP
    OP
    A

Agentman Initiate Member

Which kind of fishes can you suggest then leaving goldfishes carp and blood parrots

Oh how many times the water change needs to be done.

13. tunafax

May I suggest angelfish? They are basically the same flat thing, but shaped like a triangle instead of a circle.

Same thing, really. :)

14. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I don't mean to offend you , but that was terrible advice. No one should be okay with stunting the growth of their fish and that kinda of "advice" shouldn't be given because new fish keepers might listen.

15. tunafax

On a 40g with discus in it? Wouldn't be able to tell you, other than a lot more than you'd need to do in a recommended tank... and discus to my knowledge are very sensitive to water changes and water parameter variation.

Basically, they'd just die.

16. KinsKicks

Gotta keep in mind that he has a pair of parrot cichlids already :)

17. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I'm a little confused do you have goldfish or blood parrot fish in the tank? is it a 30g or 40g?

18. KinsKicks

You would need to do af least 70% daily if you were to attempt something like that (which I hope you aren't)

19. tunafax

He said they'll be gone, so I'm assuming he's rehoming.

20. KinsKicks

30g with parrots; he's rehoming/moving the goldfish :)

Oh alright...maybe I misread.