Need Help With Cycling My Shrimp Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Daniel Nguyen, Apr 10, 2018.

1. D

Daniel Nguyen New Member Member

After learning a ton of stuff on Fishlore over the past 2 months, I finally succeed in raising and breeding Red Cherry Shrimp even though I lost almost 20 of them during the learning process (Nitrogen cycle, suitable water parameters, etc...)
    Now, I feel pretty comfortable on raising shrimp and ready to start my 2nd tank raise Crystal Red Shrimp. I have everything that I needs for the 2nd tank except for the substrate. I am ordering substrate on Ebay (Fluval plant and shrimp stratum) and it probably takes a week until I get it. So, my first question is should I go ahead and cycling my shrimp tank right now without substrate and then add it later when I receive it? My second question is should I cycle my shrimp tank with pure RO/DI water or should I mix the RO/DI water with Salty Shrimp GH+ then do the cycle?

Thanks everyone in advance

2. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

1. Cycle the filter you plan to use for the new tank in the old tank for a couple of weeks.
    2. Only use the salty shrimp stuff if you need it, you'll have to test the water for that.
    3. Review Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

3. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

I image you should be fine to cycle the tank without the substrate, as most of the bacteria colony exists within the filter.

But as leftswerve says, you're best off putting the filter you plan to use for the new tank into the old one to transfer the already established bacteria colony to the new tank. Should make for a much quicker cycle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice