Need help with cycle

brebre

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My sister decided to do a fish in cycle (not something I agree with) but its been 4 months and her tank still isnt cycled. Could shw add tetra safe start to get it cycled? What other options does she have.

brebre

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Its a 55. She has no nitrite or nitrates in there currently. But her amino is at 0.05. The water is changed biweekly. She has ,6 feeder and one fancy tail gold fish.

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
help

My sister decided to do a fish in cycle (not something I agree with) but its been 4 months and her tank still isnt cycled. Could shw add tetra safe start to get it cycled? What other options does she have.
Hi brebre, welcome to the forum!

It would be very helpful if you could post your sisters tank size, type of filtration, type and amount of fish kept, what type of kit is being used to test, the most recent test numerical readings, and her water change and maintenance schedule.

Also, if any any tank treatments or medication have been used during the tanks cycling process. Thanks.

brebre

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She has a 55 gallon filter. Not sure of.the brand. The api master test kit.is being used. There.is.nothing but gold fish in there the biggest is 4 inches

sheilashoelady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ideally, the pH would be around 7.0

If it gets down to 6.0 range, you are definitely looking at that being the problem. TSS will only be helpful if the pH is appropriate. Please see if she can test that so we can better advise.

And kudos for helping your sister

Teleost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Really shake bottle 2 of the Nitrate test.

Not a wimpy shake. Shake it like your life depends on it. Then shake it some more.

Now test your Nitrate and get back to us

brebre

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have done it three times with the nitrate but I will have her test the ph and get back to you guys. Thanks for everyone's help. Will get back to you soon.

brebre

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The ph is a lil high its around 7.6. Not.sure what to do from here. I dont want her fish to die.

sheilashoelady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There are articles on fishlore regarding the use of TSS.. can't figure out how to link it from my cell phone, sorry. But basically, shake the bottle really well, dump it in, and don't change water for 2 weeks.

Wait a few days to retest the water and see what the parameters are then.

millca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TSS usually takes 14 days. Be sure to buy a big enough bottle and don't just trust the outside front label. Read the backside directions as sometimes the Gallons it will cover differ for some unknown reason. I had a TSS bottle that said it was good for up to 30G on the front and 20G on the back. Made no sense at all. Also, check and make sure the expiration date hasn't expired. Shake it well. Dump it in.

You don't need to do anything during those 14 days. Also, if you've done a recent water change using Prime to dechlorinate the water, then you need to wait 24 hours before adding TSS. There's a very good thread on this forum concerning how to appropriately use TSS. I'll go search for it and post it once I find it (or someone may beat me to it). Here's the good thread on How to Use Tetra Safe Start.

brebre

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She just changes.the pad. I hope shes learned from this experience. Lol. She's buying that first thing in the moring thanks for everyone's help.

sheilashoelady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If she has a filter that uses replaceable cartridges, she is throwing the good bacteria away every time she changes it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom