Need help with clean up crew 50 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by e_watson09, Apr 1, 2010.

1. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Okay well I already have a relatively stocked tank but I have two very good filters on it and I do water changes very often. Currently I have three silver dollars, three parrot cichlids, and three green severms (all fish listed are still very small, the silver dollars are about med size) then I have a 5" pleco. Well now that my pleco has gotten rather lazy and now a days he just sits on the seaweed clip and eats that all day I need help with clean up on the bottom of the tank.

I'm thinking maybe a couple corys or shrimp. Any suggestions?

2. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Get like 5 otos they will keep your tank glass in tip top condition!! And half a dozen corys to keep your substrate clean.

Phil :)

3. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

I thought about otos but the store I work at doesn't have any and I get half off on monday so I'm stocking up all my tanks :p Plus I wipe the algae off the glass all the time so I don't think there would be enough for them all the time plus I've heard they are very delicate so I don't want to mess with them yet.

I'm thinking about a zebra Pleco for my 10 gal while its small and then bumping it up to the 50 when it outgrows the tank. They only get like 4 inches but I wouldn't be putting him in this tank right away so I'm looking for something for the time being. I can bump up and do more water changes if I end up getting another pleco. Would the cories help with like the large fish waste? do they eat other fish poop? That's a really weird question haha.

4. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

I don't think they do but they help big time by eating all the food lying around.

Phil :)

5. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Uh, I would politely disagree with Phil not to get anything until you ugrade the tank, as it is overstocked.

They will grow fast, especially the pleco. I assume it is a common plecostomus, meaning that it will easily hit a foot in length. All the other fish will grow large, too, with the parrots hitting 8" and the silver dollars tipping out at about that size.

6. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

I'm looking for a temporary help like a small cory cat or two just for now while the fish are small then I'm either upgrading to a bigger tank or I'll be giving them to the LFS. But the reason it's only a temporary thing for the corys or something is because soon I'm setting back up a 29 gal that we have and I'll have some extra space for the corys

7. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Elodea. I wouldn't add anything due to the massive overstocking. Regardless of wether you intend to get a bigger tank or return fish to LFS.

A note on Zebra Plecos: They are carnivours, not herbivours, so they are no good for cleaning up algae anyway.

8. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Loosely quoting another Fishlore member (was it Sirdarksol? I forgot, sorry): "sometimes, the best cleaner for the tank is the fishkeeper him (or her) self."

I would recommend some 20% water changes twice a week and algae scrubbings however you like until the tank is fixed up.

9. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

I do my water changes haha usually once a week until recently where I keep getting called into work and the fish tanks keep getting put off but I have them on a scedual again.

Really the only thing I don't like is food that hits the bottom and then algea just grows on the gravel, I never really have a problem with the glass.

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Zebra plecos cost A LOT $$$

11. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

I know, but they're just SO pretty. And I think it'd be fun to breed them so if/when I do get some I'm going to try for some babies! ;D

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Well, if you want to breed fish, breed fish that sell for hundreds of dollars :)

13. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

like the zebra plecos haha and then I just have a thing for balloon mollies so I'm breeding them as well haha.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice