50 Gallon Tank Need help with clean up crew

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay well I already have a relatively stocked tank but I have two very good filters on it and I do water changes very often. Currently I have three silver dollars, three parrot cichlids, and three green severms (all fish listed are still very small, the silver dollars are about med size) then I have a 5" pleco. Well now that my pleco has gotten rather lazy and now a days he just sits on the seaweed clip and eats that all day I need help with clean up on the bottom of the tank.

I'm thinking maybe a couple corys or shrimp. Any suggestions?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought about otos but the store I work at doesn't have any and I get half off on monday so I'm stocking up all my tanks Plus I wipe the algae off the glass all the time so I don't think there would be enough for them all the time plus I've heard they are very delicate so I don't want to mess with them yet.

I'm thinking about a zebra Pleco for my 10 gal while its small and then bumping it up to the 50 when it outgrows the tank. They only get like 4 inches but I wouldn't be putting him in this tank right away so I'm looking for something for the time being. I can bump up and do more water changes if I end up getting another pleco. Would the cories help with like the large fish waste? do they eat other fish poop? That's a really weird question haha.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Uh, I would politely disagree with Phil not to get anything until you ugrade the tank, as it is overstocked.

They will grow fast, especially the pleco. I assume it is a common plecostomus, meaning that it will easily hit a foot in length. All the other fish will grow large, too, with the parrots hitting 8" and the silver dollars tipping out at about that size.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm looking for a temporary help like a small cory cat or two just for now while the fish are small then I'm either upgrading to a bigger tank or I'll be giving them to the LFS. But the reason it's only a temporary thing for the corys or something is because soon I'm setting back up a 29 gal that we have and I'll have some extra space for the corys

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Elodea. I wouldn't add anything due to the massive overstocking. Regardless of wether you intend to get a bigger tank or return fish to LFS.

A note on Zebra Plecos: They are carnivours, not herbivours, so they are no good for cleaning up algae anyway.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Loosely quoting another Fishlore member (was it Sirdarksol? I forgot, sorry): "sometimes, the best cleaner for the tank is the fishkeeper him (or her) self."

I would recommend some 20% water changes twice a week and algae scrubbings however you like until the tank is fixed up.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Loosely quoting another Fishlore member (was it Sirdarksol? I forgot, sorry): "sometimes, the best cleaner for the tank is the fishkeeper him (or her) self."

I would recommend some 20% water changes twice a week and algae scrubbings however you like until the tank is fixed up.
I do my water changes haha usually once a week until recently where I keep getting called into work and the fish tanks keep getting put off but I have them on a scedual again.

Really the only thing I don't like is food that hits the bottom and then algea just grows on the gravel, I never really have a problem with the glass.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know, but they're just SO pretty. And I think it'd be fun to breed them so if/when I do get some I'm going to try for some babies! ;D
Well, if you want to breed fish, breed fish that sell for hundreds of dollars

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom