Need Help With Changing Water

SSJ
Dear All, I have a 45 gallon tank, due to lack of experience I lost some fish reecently. Hence I use Mineral water (Bisleri/Aquafina) etc to change 30% water every few days. my ammonia levels are under control at the moment and the fish seems good as well. My question is, whether I can use my normal tap water (which is high on the hardness front) by using Prime, dechlorinator? Can I add the water directly to the tank, then add these chemicals? or should I keep the water in a bucket, puth prime and dechlorinator in it, leave it for an hour then pour it in the tank??

using mineral water is getting expensive and cumbersome as it comes in small packets.

Thanks in advance

jaymethy
I personally add my very hard tap water straight into my aquarium after adding enough dechlorinator for the whole tank. So I dose the dechlorinator for 10 gallons even though I am only changing 2.5 gallons worth of water. I've had no issues doing that. Other people will say otherwise.

But the water hardness might be an issue depending on what fish you have.

mattgirl
I can see no reason you can't use your tap water unless you have fish that require softer water. I would do small water changes to begin with though so your fish can get used to it slowly. Maybe no more than 5 or 10% at a time.

Prime is a dechlorinator so there is no need to add both it and another product. If I were you I would add the Prime directly to the bucket you are using to fill the tank. There is no need to let it set for any length of time since the prime instantly makes the water safe. I personally think it is best to treat the water before adding it to the tank.

jack22
You can ask your local fish shop about your tap water and fish. For water changes, I always put the new water into a bucket and add conditioner first (even when the conditioner says instant), then add it to the fish tank. This also allows me to bring the bucket of water to the correct temp. prior to adding into the tank.

Gone
I've used Prime for a long time and never had any problems with it. Just be careful because it's more concentrated than most water conditioners.

When I started my fish room, I used the bucket brigade to siphon out water and to add replacement tap water back in. I treated for the volume in the bucket, and it worked fine. As I found the need for a more efficient method, I'd use the buckets to siphon out water, but filled them back up with a hose. Then I'd add Prime based on the water volume of the tank. I never had a problem.

I'm curious what your tap water readings are. Also, when you say your ammonia levels are under control, I'm not sure what that means. If the tank is cycled, the only reading that could mean under control is zero.

Galathiel
I use a python water changer to change out the water. I refill with tap water using the python. I add my Prime (I double dose) directly into the tank first, then add the tap water in.

TLeTourneau
I used a Python and added tap water directly dosing with Prime first and never had any issues. I did turn my filters off during the water change process to help ensure that BB wasn't accidentally killed with chlorinated water. I no longer worry about it as I use RO water exclusively now.

SSJ
I personally add my very hard tap water straight into my aquarium after adding enough dechlorinator for the whole tank. So I dose the dechlorinator for 10 gallons even though I am only changing 2.5 gallons worth of water. I've had no issues doing that. Other people will say otherwise.

But the water hardness might be an issue depending on what fish you have.
I have guppies and tetra neons

I can see no reason you can't use your tap water unless you have fish that require softer water. I would do small water changes to begin with though so your fish can get used to it slowly. Maybe no more than 5 or 10% at a time.

Prime is a dechlorinator so there is no need to add both it and another product. If I were you I would add the Prime directly to the bucket you are using to fill the tank. There is no need to let it set for any length of time since the prime instantly makes the water safe. I personally think it is best to treat the water before adding it to the tank.
I have guppies and tetra neons, thanks for your reply

I've used Prime for a long time and never had any problems with it. Just be careful because it's more concentrated than most water conditioners.

When I started my fish room, I used the bucket brigade to siphon out water and to add replacement tap water back in. I treated for the volume in the bucket, and it worked fine. As I found the need for a more efficient method, I'd use the buckets to siphon out water, but filled them back up with a hose. Then I'd add Prime based on the water volume of the tank. I never had a problem.

I'm curious what your tap water readings are. Also, when you say your ammonia levels are under control, I'm not sure what that means. If the tank is cycled, the only reading that could mean under control is zero.
its not 100% cycled yet. I'm doing partial water changes to keep the ammonia level low...it was 0.25ish last time I checked

Gone
I use a python water changer to change out the water. I refill with tap water using the python. I add my Prime (I double dose) directly into the tank first, then add the tap water in.

I'm curious. Why do you double dose?

SSJ
Thanks for your reply and time guys, I did a good thing by joining this forum. lot of good and helpful people here. thanks again

Galathiel
I'm curious. Why do you double dose?

I double dose because I'm not adding pre-treated water to the tank. The water coming in is straight from the tap so I'm compensating for that influx with a double dose of Prime.

GrayGray4231
I have always used tap water and treated it with this

Attachments

• IMG_20180419_163759.jpg
    IMG_20180419_163759.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 97
SSJ
Did something really stupid.. changed the water and added PRIME, forgot to add de chlorinator... 5 of my neon tetras died, these were fresh stock, had added them to the tank yesterday...I feel very guilty for what I did to those poor fish

Jabberwock
Live and learn. Don't beat yourself up too bad. We have all made mistakes.

TexasGuppy
Prime is a dechlorinator. You should put a 1/2 capful of prime in the tank, then add the tap water.

However, you said you've been using mineral water... which probably has no TDS at all... I'm guessing your Ph was really low. If your Kh is below 1 or 2, you likely had wild swings in Ph... adding tap water probably rapidly raised it a bunch...
They probably died from the shock of the Ph swing.

Ms rose
Did something really stupid.. changed the water and added PRIME, forgot to add de chlorinator... 5 of my neon tetras died, these were fresh stock, had added them to the tank yesterday...I feel very guilty for what I did to those poor fish

Prime is a declorinate as well as a amo blocker

SSJ
Prime is a declorinate as well as a amo blocker
I believe its not as strong as I suspected... also my filter stopped working, had to clean the filter media, which added to the problem as the bacteria was washed off..I did add liquid bacteria seperately

Ms rose
Oh that's a bummer. It's so hard first starting out, but with time and patience it will all work out. Stay asking questions, you will get threw.

SSJ
Oh that's a bummer. It's so hard first starting out, but with time and patience it will all work out. Stay asking questions, you will get threw.
Thanks Buddy..slowly I am getting a hold of it...I think my filter isn't optimal..let me post a separate thread on it

Ms rose
Defiantly do that, c you over there lol

TexasGuppy
always wash the filter in old tank water... so there isn't any chlorine in it...

Jabberwock
Man, I remember doing all of this before there was an internet. You all have it easy these days.

SSJ
Man, I remember doing all of this before there was an internet. You all have it easy these days.
That's a great comment!!

SSJ
Guys I need some urgent help. More fish died today, leaving me depressed and sad. I noticed two of them were stuck in the plant and died probably on Sunday, could there be a disease outbreak? I removed twenty litres of the water and added twenty litres of mineral water today..prime dosage is also high..almost twice this time.. I added antI fungal infection liquid as well..what can I do to ensure death rate comes down..please help.

TexasGuppy
Where are your numbers at now? Including Ph and temp. 5 gallons is a small change for a 45G tank.

SSJ
Where are your numbers at now? Including Ph and temp. 5 gallons is a small change for a 45G tank.
I only have ammonia test kit, ordered the set but only ammonia kit arrived. Ammonia shows yellow on the atp tester.

TexasGuppy
Take your water to the local fish store and ask them to test it, including Kh. Until then, make sure you dose prime daily just as a precaution. Your nitrites could be high, and your Ph could be swinging... Your nitrates could be high as well.

SSJ
Take your water to the local fish store and ask them to test it, including Kh. Until then, make sure you dose prime daily just as a precaution. Your nitrites could be high, and your Ph could be swinging... Your nitrates could be high as well.
Thanks brother..stores in India aren't that equipped. Sadly we will have to go by symptoms or assumptions. I poured 5ml this morning..its a 45 gallon tank..should I double dose it..10ml a day?

TexasGuppy
5ml a day for now, but see if you can find somebody that can test for those... The other potential issue could be source water quality. My city does periodic 'cleaning' cycle and bumps ammonia up. I've heard of some people with 2ppm ammonia in their tap. But other things like heavy metals, etc. You can't really test for that, here in the states, they have do do annual detailed tests and publish the results. But if you only started losing fish after using tap water, I would stop for now. One option may be a reverse osmosis system, would be cheaper in the long run than bottled water. You'll need to get something to 'remineralize' the water, like SeaChem equalibrium since RO removes the good stuff as well as bad.

SSJ
5ml a day for now, but see if you can find somebody that can test for those... The other potential issue could be source water quality. My city does periodic 'cleaning' cycle and bumps ammonia up. I've heard of some people with 2ppm ammonia in their tap. But other things like heavy metals, etc. You can't really test for that, here in the states, they have do do annual detailed tests and publish the results. But if you only started losing fish after using tap water, I would stop for now. One option may be a reverse osmosis system, would be cheaper in the long run than bottled water. You'll need to get something to 'remineralize' the water, like SeaChem equalibrium since RO removes the good stuff as well as bad.

Should I keep changing the water(mineral)? like 20-30%? till the time death rate stablizes?

TexasGuppy
are you still losing fish and/or signs of stress? without knowning the other parameters, it's hard to tell. Could easily have been a large ph swing. I believe neons are sensitive, so that could have been it. If everybody seems ok, then that may have been it, and hopefully won't occur again going forward since ph should be (hopefully) stabilized now with tap water.

SSJ
are you still losing fish and/or signs of stress? without knowning the other parameters, it's hard to tell. Could easily have been a large ph swing. I believe neons are sensitive, so that could have been it. If everybody seems ok, then that may have been it, and hopefully won't occur again going forward since ph should be (hopefully) stabilized now with tap water.
Yes, I'm still loosing them. This morning (my time) lost one..another male guppy doesn't look healthy, his tail turned black frm red..and now its kinda shredding off..looks like he won't make it thru the night

TexasGuppy
can you post a picture? tail turning black sounds like something else.. how quick did it turn? Not sure nitrite/nitrate poisoning would do that or if it's bacterial. Some water sources also have large nitrates which could be bad as well. I would do a large water change with spring water then as soon as possible since we can't validate the quality of the water.
Until you can, you need to stick with spring water and treat it for Kh/Gh (minerals) Short term we can get that up with a little baking soda, but longer term, you'll want to use something like SeaChem equalibrium if you can get it there.. I would assume there wouldn't be any restrictions as it's simple minerals.

SSJ
can you post a picture? tail turning black sounds like something else.. how quick did it turn? Not sure nitrite/nitrate poisoning would do that or if it's bacterial. Some water sources also have large nitrates which could be bad as well. I would do a large water change with spring water then as soon as possible since we can't validate the quality of the water.
Until you can, you need to stick with spring water and treat it for Kh/Gh (minerals) Short term we can get that up with a little baking soda, but longer term, you'll want to use something like SeaChem equalibrium if you can get it there.. I would assume there wouldn't be any restrictions as it's simple minerals.
He din make it uploading picture...today is critical.. monitoring closely

TexasGuppy here is the photo
6e38355a6eb95975e5287eca4917dc15.jpg

SSJ
Guys looks like, its a fungal infection, fin rotting translate to that I believe. I have put a dose of antI fungal liquid, but local pet shop guy suggested cleaning the entire tank...is that needed?

TexasGuppy
When you were losing fish before, that was with tap water, but you had high ammonia? I don't know, my suggestion is to go back to spring water and use crushed seashells to keep KH up in the shirt term. Find out you city water quality report if they provide it, then use that if it's safe or buy a 5 stage reverse osmosis system and use equalibrium to rebalance it.

SSJ
When you were losing fish before, that was with tap water, but you had high ammonia? I don't know, my suggestion is to go back to spring water and use crushed seashells to keep KH up in the shirt term. Find out you city water quality report if they provide it, then use that if it's safe or buy a 5 stage reverse osmosis system and use equalibrium to rebalance it.
Going by the pics, it looks like fungal infection, what do you suggest I do?
479c9ea6eee313cc9da43c7225cb11bb.jpg
c878ebf958a305d7bec4519542d71cd6.jpg
8637660115a543ef9d1e733023c1f419.jpg
b9e26af70e2f07f9802ac8f6cee9f76b.jpg

TexasGuppy
I'm not well versed on treating fungal infections. Although, you probably need to treat the when tank.. could be bacterial still.

I've used kanapax and furan 2 on my entire tank for treatment once.

SSJ
I'm not well versed on treating fungal infections. Although, you probably need to treat the when tank.. could be bacterial still.

I've used kanapax and furan 2 on my entire tank for treatment once.

I've started another thread pertaining to questions regarding that. Thanks a million for all your time, God bless you

MaverickCoast

Prime contains everything you need when adding new fish. Neon and Cardinal Tetras are a bit more on the sensitive side, from what I understand. My water parameters are good in my tank, but when I just recently added 8 Cardinals, only 4 are left. If your water is good, more than likely it is a stress issue with the fish, as long as you are acclimating them correctly. I have shrimp in my tank, so I know my ammonia and nitrite levels are zero!! Tested my nitrates, and they are zero, also, but I still lost 4 Cardinals! I added 8 Rummy Nose Tetras, and they are doing quite well after 2+ weeks. From what I understand, they can be a bit sensitive, also, so go figure!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
BenV.
Replies
Views
Blacksword72
Top Bottom