Need Help With Betta's Fins And Overtop Filter Baffle.

Susanna

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, I started the aquarium hobby about 2 months ago when I got my rose petal betta Yammy. I have him in a 10 gallon planted tank, the issues I've been having with him are his fins tearing. At first I suspected the female ghost shrimp, so I moved her to the 20 gallon with tetras and rasboras, but the fins kept tearing, so I then had my suspicions set on the piece of water bottle I've used to lessen the current, although it does not do a good job, I'd like a better suggestion, I've seen nylon tights being used, but there seem to be issues with the chemicals.
Another thing is that he seems to have 2 humps on both of his lower side. I have pictures and videos to show his fins and body to make it easier. The first picture does show a lot of sand but I removed about half of the extra sand. Also, does he look a little bloated to you guys?

The 10 gallon has readings of:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
PH: 7.2
Temperature: 78F

Tank mates:
3 black neon tetras (Will get 2 more)
2 Kuhli loaches (Will get 3 more)
1 Nerite Snail

I understand some bettas can be very aggressive with tank mates, but Yammy is a special betta I'm guessing, he never flares his gills and doesn't go after them, in fact I've seen him lay down next to the Kuhlis and they seem to enjoy his company.

Here are the images and the link to the video, at the end you can see on the top fin where his fins are torn.

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-08 at 10.04.51 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-08 at 10.04.50 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-08 at 10.04.50 AM (1).jpeg

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Bettas have been known to bite their fins so it could just be that.when he goes near the filter does he get pushed away? If he does then you know that it’s too strong

Susanna

Reaction score
He does, I've seen him ride the current down to go after food faster. What reasons would he be biting his fins for exactly? And would you recommend the nylon tights? I have a piece of Poly-filter in the sponge slot for the filter, but the current is still a bit too strong.

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sometimes they just bite their fins, there are many theories to it but none have been actually proven. You could try the nylon tights but make sure they don’t realease any chemicals into the water

Susanna

Reaction score
I kind of thought they were more of blow outs than biting since they were straight down the fins. He flares his fins a lot, but not his gills, which I thought was weird. I'd still like some advice on the humps on his sides, I was told to give him anti biotics but I'd like a second opinion before making him go through that. I thought it may have been swim bladder issues but he has no issues swimming up or down. :/
I have put in Indian Almond Leaves to help his fins grow back but I never see any progress.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Susanna said:
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, I started the aquarium hobby about 2 months ago when I got my rose petal betta Yammy. I have him in a 10 gallon planted tank, the issues I've been having with him are his fins tearing. At first I suspected the female ghost shrimp, so I moved her to the 20 gallon with tetras and rasboras, but the fins kept tearing, so I then had my suspicions set on the piece of water bottle I've used to lessen the current, although it does not do a good job, I'd like a better suggestion, I've seen nylon tights being used, but there seem to be issues with the chemicals.
Another thing is that he seems to have 2 humps on both of his lower side. I have pictures and videos to show his fins and body to make it easier. The first picture does show a lot of sand but I removed about half of the extra sand. Also, does he look a little bloated to you guys?

The 10 gallon has readings of:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
PH: 7.2
Temperature: 78F

Tank mates:
3 black neon tetras (Will get 2 more)
2 Kuhli loaches (Will get 3 more)
1 Nerite Snail

I understand some bettas can be very aggressive with tank mates, but Yammy is a special betta I'm guessing, he never flares his gills and doesn't go after them, in fact I've seen him lay down next to the Kuhlis and they seem to enjoy his company.

Here are the images and the link to the video, at the end you can see on the top fin where his fins are torn.

View attachment 436480 View attachment 436481 View attachment 436482
Kuhli loaches should be in at least a 20 gallon and to lessen the current you could stuff the filter with more media like sponges or put a sponge where the water comes out of the filter.

Susanna

Reaction score
OneLittleBubble said:
Kuhli loaches should be in at least a 20 gallon and to lessen the current you could stuff the filter with more media like sponges or put a sponge where the water comes out of the filter.
I do plan to upgrade to a 20 gallon. I have put in a Poly-Filter sponge into the filter, it helps but not a whole lot, I also have a piece of water bottle but it doesn't help much either and I believe it has been tearing the betta's fins. I want to try using nylon tights as mentioned but I have no idea which ones would be safe with the chemical treatments they go through.

KarlsJr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure about the biting and lumps, but if you're worried about chemicals with the nylon tights, you can try putting a sponge pre-filter on the intake.

I use the Fluval version on a Top Fin filter and it's worked wonders to reduce the current for my betta:

Fluval Edge Pre Filter Sponge, 1 Count

You could also try a different means of baffling the filter. I've seen people put sponges and filter floss on the output, even put an artificial plant there. I personally use a Zoo Med betta leaf hammock as a baffle. The suction cup made it easy to stick on the filter under the output.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A lot of bettas have those 'bumps' on their sides, just in front of their tail fin (mine does as well). I believe it is just muscle. It's just more visible on some bettas than others for some reason.

If he is fin biting, and flaring a lot, it may be due to stress from his tank mates... he's got a lot of company in that 10 gallon.

Susanna

Reaction score
Do you recommend getting rid of the Tetras and keeping the Kuhlis since they're less active? I can either rehome them in the 20 gallon or return them.

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Susanna said:
Do you recommend getting rid of the Tetras and keeping the Kuhlis since they're less active? I can either rehome them in the 20 gallon or return them.
Yes I would recommend getting rid of the tetras and khuli loaches, you could always give your betta some shrimp or snail tankmates

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom