need help with betta 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by jace91974, Mar 19, 2010.

1. j

jace91974 Valued Member Member

This morning I notice my betta was sitting at the bottom of the tank . the water condtion is fine , my betta is in a breeder boxs right now. I tried to feed him and nothing happen , so I try feed him peas he just look at it . So should i try to fast him for the day and keep him in the breeder box ? all my other fish are fine "six mollys " in the tank .

2. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Jace. Firstly, why is he in the breeder box? Is he sick or? He could be unhappy with the limited space he is given to swim around or he isn't feeling well. Keep us updated.

3. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

He was in a community tank, which is likely the problem. Bettas just don't work in community tanks and usually result in someone hurt or killed :(
    He would be best off in his own tank.

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im sorry hes not feeling well :(
    is this a tank that got started with jungle start right? what test kit are you using? I agree the community tank might be an issue but you dont have severely agressive fin nippers in there or fish that usually bother others..but it also could be a case of "too big of a tank for labyrinth bettas to get to the top"

5. platy ben

Sounds really professional Shawnie ;)

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;rl:anim_35: brat its been a long week LOL

7. platy ben

Okay okay :p I'm sorry ;)
    Anyway! Back on topic :p

I would personally keep him in the breeder trap and if he does start to recover, get him a tank of his own :)

8. OP
    OP
    j

I used jungle start at first , but then I switch to useing prime . the test kit I use is api master test kit. This morning when I got home from work I watch all my fish swim around they are always happy to see me and the betta is the first one be right there except today a couple of hours went by and the betta was still in his home , and the other fishs were going in and out of his house . my betta always flare when they got to close to his house except today . and the reason he is in the breeder box cause i felt he was not going to top for air . and he is doing better now moveing around more . So should I keep him in the breeder boxs for the night or should I let him out ? thanks all

9. OP
    OP
    j

This is goldie don`t ask why my son named him that lol I think he got Dropsy I have not delt with Dropsy yet so I want to know what you guys think it is ?here a video of him. and how do I treat it if it is? he ate a little last night  

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  10. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry about your betta :(
    At the end of the video....did you put him back in the main tank? He's obviously stressed and scared with the other fish, as h went and immediately hid.
    Imo, I'd put him back in the breeder and add a soft plant for him to rest on.

In some parts of the video, he looks misshapen, others it looks like scales are pine coning and he's bloated (in the beginning of the video)
    Are his scales sticking out?

11. OP
    OP
    j

yes that what it look like to me too Lucy ,Its like little pine cones on his scales .And yes he is bloated for the last couple of days , yeasterday I did try to feed him a shell pea cut up but no go but he did eat a little of his food last night did not give him too much half of fake .I did let him out for awhile so I can clean the algea off the bottom of the breeder box .Today he did flare up at the mollies when they got to close to his home. So how can i help him get better ? thanks

12. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

I would definitely say that the first step to helping him get better is to get him his own tank. That large community tank just might not be comfortable enough for him. He might not just have problems getting to the top for air, but he could be stressed feeling like he is defending himself or his territory (his house?) against the other inhabitants. He might also not feel secure in that area because he can't see all of it or be watching over all of it at one time. Bettas like to know whats going on!

I recommend getting him a 5 gallon tank to call his own. It will need to be heatered, filtered and cycled to be a good home for him. Also, my understanding is bettas who eat flake foods are more prone to constipation from those flakes. Are you able to switch him to a pellet?

13. OP
    OP
    j

he eats both pellets and flakes

14. Lucy

:( If his scales are sticking out like a pine cone, it's probably dropsy (again hard to tell from the vid)

Have you noticed if he's pooing?
    If he's only bloated from constipation, sometimes it can give appearence of the scales sticking out on the tummy (not all over)
    I think I'd try fasting for a few days then try a couple of bits of thawed frozen shelled pea then fast for another couple of days and repeat the pea.
    No pellets or flakes.

However, if he does have dropsy there's very little you can do. It's usually a sign that his kidneys are failing.
    Honestly, in the first part of the vid, it looks like dropsy to me.
    I'm sorry, hope I'm wrong. :(

Let's see what others have to say.

15. OP
    OP
    j

Thanks Lucy, if it is dropsy do i have to worry about the other fish getting it ? And no he has not poo in the last two days . I did give him a pea and he did eat some of it then he spit it out lol . and I also tried putting one of the plants in there he did not like that idea lol . just to let you know he more active this Morning then he was yesterday

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  16. Lucy

I've read conflicting info about that.
    Ime, my other fish didn't get ill.

17. OP
    OP
    j

Goldie did poo this morning. But I do think he has dropsy , he scales are still like pinecones . he still active , but I want to know if there in meds i can give him and if so , should I teat other fishs that are the tank with him ?

18. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

Poor Goldie!! sorry I can't give any advice - I've never had to deal with dropsy.. the only thing I can say is whatever you do- do NOT use melafix because it affects the Labyrinth organ and he will be a goner.

19. OP
    OP
    j

I just uploaded a picture of him . Does anybody think I should feed him today or do I just let him fast for another couple of days?

Attached Files:

20. Lucy

:( I'm so sorry. Seeing the picture, it really does look like Goldy has drospy.
    Some have recommended kanaplex (sp) but usually, they're too far gone at this stage.
    If he's eating, if it were me, I'd give him his very favorite treat.
    Your choices are to try to and treat.
    Make him as comfortable as possible.
    Or (I hate to say :'() put him down.
    In case you decide the latter here is the https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/48332-humane-method-euthanasia-sick-fish.html

:;group I'm so very sorry.
    Perhaps others will have other suggestions.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice