Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Need Help With Betta!! Important

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by SilverLoachRam, Apr 18, 2019.

1. SilverLoachRamNew MemberMember

Hi all! This is only my second post on here and I need some help!

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 20 US Gallons
    How long has the tank been running? 3 Months
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 78-79⁰F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 10 corie cat fish (3 bandit, 3 long fin Pandas, and 4 Paleatus) and one black Crowntail Betta.

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Every 1-2 weeks
    How much of the water do you change? 20-35%
    What do you use to treat your water? Stresscoat + (Api I think)
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Its sand but I use the swirling method to pick up poop and debris.

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes.
    What do you use to test the water? API Master Kit.
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 15ish ppm (planted tank)
    pH: 6.8

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Every other night.
    How much do you feed your fish? A couple pinches of Hikari Micro pellets for the Cories and 2 or 3 Hikari Biogold pellets for the betta. (Hes put in a separate fry net in the tank during feeding so he doesnt eat their food)
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Occasionally one or two Freeze dried blood worms or mysis/brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 2 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 30 mins
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Bloating.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Other than bloating, no.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now

In the past my Betta has been able to scrounge up some of the Cory cats leftovers that they end up scattering in some nooks and crannies around the tank and he may end up slightly swollen but never to the point he is now. Also I feed every other evening so he also always has a chance to digest that food. About 30 mins ago when I was feeding I put the food like normal in the tank and when I went to feed my other tanks at the same time he jumped put of his mesh fry net that he stays in while eating and swam to the bottom and ate a whole boat load of the Micro Pellets. I immediately put him back in his feeding net and left him there until the cories finished eating. I released him where he still went to look for more food but luckily didn't find any.

I have no idea what I should do other than fast and possibly feed a microwaved de-shelled betta sized portion of a pea? Or some Daphnia? I have no clue what to do and I'm worried that he might develop a swim bladder issue which I really don't want to happen :(.

Thank you for your help in advance.

2. SM1199Well Known MemberMember

It's alright, overfeeding happens sometimes! It's not a big deal, honestly. The bloat will most likely go away on its own, especially if you fast him. It's been less than an hour, so just give him a few days with no food. You might be surprised and see that he's passed it all by the end of tomorrow and is back to normal. An otherwise healthy betta in good conditions should have no problem bouncing back from an unintentional Thanksgiving dinner.

Edit: A photo would be very helpful.

3. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I’d just keep a close eye and don’t feed for a few days. If you start noticing bloat, feed a pea and go from there.

4. SilverLoachRamNew MemberMember

Thank you for the response! I'm glad to here he should be fine. I would take a photo right now but I turned the tank lights off and I think using a flash to find him and than snap a picture of him wouldn't be very nice to do to him right now. I will definitely take a picture in the morning and reply to you on this thread though!

5. SilverLoachRamNew MemberMember

Okay, thank you for the response! I am definitely going to fast him for a couple days and see how he is over that time frame and than I'll go from there.

6. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

No problem. Bettas are always hungry. I feed mine 3-4 pellets a day and it’s still not enough or so it seems because he’s always scavenging for more. They’re pigs lol. Don’t stress on it too much. I’m sure your betta will be just fine. Keep us updated though just to make sure he’s fine :)

7. SilverLoachRamNew MemberMember

Sorry for not leaving an update sooner! He seemed much better by even thr next morning and I've figured out a way to get him to eat a normal amount. Thank you for the help!