Need Help With Betta Fish Sickness

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ParagonKayla, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ParagonKaylaNew MemberMember

My female Koi/Marble betta fish seems to have a cloudy(?) eye. She also spends most of her day glass surfing on the front and back of the tank. She glass surfs more than any betta I have ever owned to the point of concern.

Parameters:
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
    PH: 7.6 ~

The tank she is in is a Fluval Spec V, (so 5 gallons)
    This tank was set up 12 days ago with adding TSS exactly per directions,
    (on day 9 of TSS I started making PWC using Prime about 30% every 2 days because of the concern of cloudy mucous eye.)
    I also monitored this tanks water conditions like a hawk every day because I was doubtful of TSS, but it seems to be working well for me at least.

I have just made a water change again 2 days later after my first water change of around 35% dosing with prime. I have not added any medications because I cannot identify the reasoning of her obsessive glass swimming and cloudy eye.
    She has relatively soft plants. not silk but not the cheap kinds, a sand substrate and a few aquarium pebbles. I also buffered the flow of the Fluval Spec V with the Fluval prefilter sponge.
    To help her glass surfing I've lined the plants to the back of her glass swimming path, turned off the lights, added a white paper backing to stop the reflection, it seems to not be changing anything.

I am not sure what kind of filter the Fluval Spec V is, but I use both carbon activated, sponge inside and the bio pellets.
    It is only her in the tank.
    I have put an Indian almond leaf into the tank, she also has a stable temperature of around 78 degrees monitoring the thermometer and heater.

I had gotten her from petco approximately 12 days ago, and acclimated her in her cup for awhile before putting her in.

I feed her and my male freeze dried blood worms and 1-2 pre-soaked pellets.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated as I'm concerned for her.
    Hopefully the picture I attached shows you the strange mucus cloud on her right eye well enough. She doesn't stay still much and tries to eat everything.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

Cloudy eye is generally a bacterial infection. Use a broad spectrum antibiotic per the package instructions, and keep the water very clean.

3. OP
    OP
    P

ParagonKaylaNew MemberMember

Okay. do you have any idea at all why she might be glass surfing for hours?
    Also. is Kanaplex considered a broad spectrum?

4. maggie thecat

maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

Kanaplex is used to treat popeye, so it will be ideal.

Glass surfing is generally a symptom of anxiety or bordom. If rearranging the tank doesn't help, you might consider getting her a mirror. Some bettas like to look at themselves.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice