Need Help With Betta Beginner?

darrensmom
I am very new to the fish keeping hobby..all my years have been dogs and African Gray Parrots so without too much harsh criticism...I need someone help ASAP my betta needs help..is anyone up for a long conversation? He has so much wrong..

Advertisement
Smalltownfishfriend
Start talking!!!

Advertisement
LunaSky
Welcome to the forum. We’re all willing help.

darrensmom
Thank you because it's going to take a Village..there's so much I don't know where to start and it's very hard to type in tears so please excuse any typos...I guess I'll start at the beginning...

Discus-Tang
Welcome to Fishlore What's up with your betta?

Jellibeen
We all make mistakes, especially when new to the hobby. There are a lot of members here who would happily give you advice. remember that someone telling you that something is wrong, isn’t a personal attack or criticism.

Now, what's going on?

Advertisement

darrensmom
I have several goldfish rescues by that I mean beautiful fish that were laying on the tank dieing. 2 calico fantail and a black moor..I got some used tanks they let the water out infront of me and assured me they were cycled...no. My mistake...I had an extra 10 gallon that had been housing 2 of the goldfish and I've wanted a betta so long I bought 1 at Petco..he looked ill but I had saved the goldfish a couple goats countless dogs..so I brought him home. He had some fin rot so I checked the parameters..ammonia was very high so I immediately put him in a fishbowl and started aquarium salt treatment then he delivered swim bladder. His fin rot was getting worse but the swim bladder was getting better I was changing his water 4 times a day to keep it warm..but only adding the salt twice..plus an Indian almond leave..he seemed to get better...then I took a pic with my camera and the nightmare began. I'm going to try to explain what these symptoms are the best I can but there's so much I don't understand

I contacted a very reputable Youtuber/breeder and she said to treat with E.M. erythromycin 1 package daily for 2 days 25% water change 2 more 25% water change..at this point hes back in his tank and the parameters are dead on where they should be...his skin has started to fall off?? There is exposed skin..on his face where a chin would be where a neck would be. Its raw and rotted looking..it looks like its moving down his body..after 3 doses of the meds its turned gold and he has blood in his eyes ..I don't know what's wrong or if I did this to him I've asked so many people and noone can help. I haven't seen any pics of any other fish that look like this

yukondog
OK, let us have it, a lot of members here are here are pretty good.

darrensmom
I don't know if I returned him to his tank too soon but all the numbers were right on with the Master Water kit plus he was getting mad I know it's crazy but he would look at his tank! Is 83 to 84 degrees too warm? Because someone said it was but if I lower it he won't move from his heater if I turn it up he swims..he comes to the front and blows bubbles at me

We all make mistakes, especially when new to the hobby. There are a lot of members here who would happily give you advice. remember that someone telling you that something is wrong, isn’t a personal attack or criticism.

Now, what's going on?
Should I post some pics?

Start talking!!!
I'm talking but noone is answering lol I don't know if I'm doing this right

Iverg1
Sure! Here's what to do for fin rot just do 25% daily water changes. Aqurium salt doesn't really do anything for fin rot anyway it's mostly used for velvet and ich. I'd not know why this YouTuber recommended E.M but pictures ASAP please. It also sounds like he has velvet so for velvet I would use that aqurium salt raise the best (which is what you've been doing put a blanket over the tank and don't let any light in this is what is know as a black out

We need pictures also so we can make a more detailed dignois

Advertisement

darrensmom
He's at the front of the tank..he wants to play..I don't understand..I've heard so many horror stories about betta fish how mean and aggressive they are 1 reason I never bought 1..but this fish follows my fingers..he eats from my finger..he blows bubbles at me and I adore him. I've had about 15 hours of sleep in 7 days and I'm afraid I'm stressing him when I sit at the front if the tank crying because he goes behind his filter..I don't know what to do for him. 3 days ago I ordered clove oil because I can't stand to see him suffer at that point he had swim bladder and wasn't able to swim that cleared up and now hes got this rot or something that's taking his flesh off. I'm afraid to start a new medication I'm afraid of shutting his organs down

Iverg1
Can we see pictures please. Also bettas aren't aggressive to anyone. Just other bettas or sometimes other fish. But bettas have big personalitys so some bettas might like other fish

Sure! Here's what to do for fin rot just do 25% daily water changes. Aqurium salt doesn't really do anything for fin rot anyway it's mostly used for velvet and ich. I'd not know why this YouTuber recommended E.M but pictures ASAP please. It also sounds like he has velvet so for velvet I would use that aqurium salt raise the best (which is what you've been doing put a blanket over the tank and don't let any light in this is what is know as a black out

Aquilist
Bettas are lovely fish with huge personalities. They're only aggressive to others. What size tank is he in?

Iverg1
She 10 gallon with 2 goldfish (I know we'll address it later)

Advertisement

Aquilist
She 10 gallon with 2 goldfish (I know we'll address it later)
Ah. Right.

thisislivi
Can you get a picture of him, darrensmom?

darrensmom

Screenshot_20180825-203757_Gallery.jpg
Ok here are some pics..very hard to look at .

Its horrible..it wasn't this bad until the E.M erythromycin treatment

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180825-203705_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180825-203705_Gallery.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 20180825_212939.jpg
    20180825_212939.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Screenshot_20180825-203712_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180825-203712_Gallery.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20180825-212835_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180825-212835_Gallery.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20180825-212649_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180825-212649_Gallery.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 107
Iverg1
Just looks like a simply color change beautiful boy! Just a bit bloated I recommend fasting for three days and then feed him a deshelled pea afterwards use Epsom salt but only if he still looks fat

Advertisement

darrensmom
Can we see pictures please. Also bettas aren't aggressive to anyone. Just other bettas or sometimes other fish. But bettas have big personalitys so some bettas might like other fish
He is the sweetest animal I've ever had and I've had alot..I hope someone can help I'm so tired of crying and I just can't research anymore and coming up with nothing

Just looks like a simply color change beautiful boy! Just a bit bloated I recommend fasting for three days and then feed him a deshelled pea afterwards use Epsom salt but only if he still looks fat
Are you serious? This isn't rot? It's just color change?? The stuff that looks raw...it isnt?

Dawn Michele
Welcome to Fishlore!!! Hope your Betta feels better!!!

darrensmom
The crusty looking stuff...that's not rottening?

Iverg1
Well someone will have to double check but I believe it's color change Repolie Sakura48 CanadianFishFan wanna check?

Advertisement

darrensmom
Welcome to Fishlore!!! Hope your Betta feels better!!!
oh thank you so much you all are so nice I was scared to come on here and then scared he was dieing not sleeping I spent 6 out of 7 days by hisself then I had to pull a 12 hour shift or get fired..I've been sitting by his tank now for about 7 hours today

Dawn Michele
oh thank you so much you all are so nice I was scared to come on here and then scared he was dieing not sleeping I spent 6 out of 7 days by hisself then I had to pull a 12 hour shift or get fired..I've been sitting by his tank now for about 7 hours today
Everyone here is super nice & helpful!!! Your a GREAT fishy Mom!!!

darrensmom
Are you serious? This isn't rot? It's just color change?? The stuff that looks raw...it isnt?
Omg he loves peas!!!! And I give him a few bites of scrambled eggs every few days. He turned his nose up at every thing else goes behind the heater..comes back and won't leave..that's how I know he wants scrambled eggs...so just aquarium salt? No food for 3 days? And what looks like blood in his eyes? Am I imagining that? Do betta do this?

Everyone here is super nice & helpful!!! Your a GREAT fishy Mom!!!
Omg it's my 1st time here and I've made a complete fool of myself ..it looks like his skin is blistered is it supposed to look like that? He probably thinks I'm an idiot..I kept waking him up 1 night because I thought he was dieing..so he was just exhausted from me not letting him sleep?

Iverg1
My betta has that
1535248053429561426279.jpg

Advertisement

darrensmom
Bettas are lovely fish with huge personalities. They're only aggressive to others. What size tank is he in?
He has a 10 gallon tank just 1 plastic plant but it's very smooth I'm a little worried about the temperature..if it gets lower than 83 he bucks up..he will go lay on his heater sleep there hang out there but it fluctuates from day to night time..during the day when it's the warmest he swims all over as soon as it cools off just a little he heads right back to that heater

Dawn Michele
Omg it's my 1st time here and I've made a complete fool of myself ..it looks like his skin is blistered is it supposed to look like that? He probably thinks I'm an idiot..I kept waking him up 1 night because I thought he was dieing..so he was just exhausted from me not letting him sleep?
Take a deep breath!!! We have all been there!!! Your a concerned fishy Mom who is just worried about her baby. Everyone is here to help you. He will be just fine!!!

Iverg1
Don't worry we've all been there. When I started out I kept my betta in a 1 gallon bowl! There is also a whole thread on it

darrensmom
So that crusty blistered looking stuff at the bottom and sides..that's nothing to be worried about? That's a beautiful betta

Take a deep breath!!! We have all been there!!! Your a concerned fishy Mom who is just worried about her baby. Everyone is here to help you. He will be just fine!!!
Thank you so much you don't know how much I appreciate this I've been a physical and mental wreck for over a week. I have 5 goldfish I love them all but this betta omg he takes my breath away

Advertisement

Iverg1
Well I don't know that yet but for the moment he looks fine just treat him for bloat and ignore all the velvet treatments I told you and click on this thread it's a really funny read it also shows that when starting out we all make mistakes

darrensmom
Well someone will have to double check but I believe it's color change Repolie Sakura48 CanadianFishFan wanna check?
Thank you so much

Well I don't know that yet but for the moment he looks fine just treat him for bloat and ignore all the velvet treatments I told you and click on this thread it's a really funny read it also shows that when starting out we all make mistakes
I feel so foolish and I know I look that way too but I'll worry about that tomorrow probably when he don't get any peas or bites of scrambled egg..he will really make me feel foolish lol omg I will do exactly as you said..to the T..thank you everyone so much!!!!

Iverg1
What do you feed him?

Also read this click on the blue word cycle

Ona Makeed
The Jungle stuff at Walmart has worked wonders for me several times. Directions on packaging. Way easier that some very complicated remedies I had recommended to me.

Advertisement

Iverg1
Did you read the whole thread?

Ona Makeed
Oh man! I have been addicted to fish keeping for over a year now.... mistakes have been plentiful, even despite the guidance of an amazing biologist that works at an awesome LFS! Incredible amount of information to learn... and in my case, relearn on occasion:/

Jellibeen
I am going to strongly recommend against feeding him scrambled egg. That may be why he is bloated. Get some food specifically for bettas.

JoeJoe-F'sho
So, I can tell you from a similar experience, that his scales/skin falling could be from ammonia burns.. oR, the most likely scenario is a combination of illnesses, including, but not limited to; one called "hole in head" , tail/fin rot, or some other bacterial or fungal infection.. The best, most efficient way is to use BOTH melafix & pimafix, dosing per instructions on bottle... this will cover ALOT of common diseases and most likely help him turn a corner for the best... Best luck!!

Advertisement

Mermaid513
I have several goldfish rescues by that I mean beautiful fish that were laying on the tank dieing. 2 calico fantail and a black moor..I got some used tanks they let the water out infront of me and assured me they were cycled...no. My mistake...I had an extra 10 gallon that had been housing 2 of the goldfish and I've wanted a betta so long I bought 1 at Petco..he looked ill but I had saved the goldfish a couple goats countless dogs..so I brought him home. He had some fin rot so I checked the parameters..ammonia was very high so I immediately put him in a fishbowl and started aquarium salt treatment then he delivered swim bladder. His fin rot was getting worse but the swim bladder was getting better I was changing his water 4 times a day to keep it warm..but only adding the salt twice..plus an Indian almond leave..he seemed to get better...then I took a pic with my camera and the nightmare began. I'm going to try to explain what these symptoms are the best I can but there's so much I don't understand
HI sorry to hear about your betta, I would suggest not to add the salt. I would put him in a smaller bowl or smaller tank for now till he,starts to show improvements.

darrensmom
HI and thank you for your reply..I moved him back to his tank and he was doing really well..he was eating good I started feeding him only once a day to help with the bloating..which he still has. I'm getting frantic because the scales around the bloat look a little pine-coney..which I guess they would if there's bloating? He started to develop some jaggedness around his fins again..and overnight they look like they've been through a fan. I haven't posted an update in about a week because my brother is very ill..hes in surgery right now having half of his lung removed due to cancer..so a lot going on but I took him out of his tank again..instead of putting him in that 1 gallon fish bowl I put him in a 5 gallon Tupperware bowl with a lid..he has more room to move around and it looks like hes going to have to be here a while. I am treating him with Jungle Fungus Clear because it had over 100 really good reviews on Amazon and everything hes experienced it is supposed to address..some people have had great success and some no success..at this point I really am just pulling at straws here and don't know what to do...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

What do you feed him?
I'm sorry it's taken me a while to get back with you its been a rough couple of weeks..my brother is having surgery right now to remove half a lung but anyway..I feed him Tetra Betta Flake Medley..once or twice a week freeze dried bloodworms..usually once..he doesn't care for them..I feed him peas twice a week..he tears them apart! He loves them! And once a week as a treat I feed him a few very small bites of scrambled eggs..and that is when he is truly the happiest..if I didn't stop at 3 he would eat them until he exploded.

The Jungle stuff at Walmart has worked wonders for me several times. Directions on packaging. Way easier that some very complicated remedies I had recommended to me.
The Jungle Fungus Clear? That's what I'm using now..I just started that treatment today.

I am going to strongly recommend against feeding him scrambled egg. That may be why he is bloated. Get some food specifically for bettas.
He eats the Tetra Betta Medley and about once a week a few freeze dried bloodworms..he doesn't care for those..and I've never been able to get him to eat pellets of any kind..the scrambled eggs that was just a once a week thing as his treat ..just 3 very small bites ..with a pair of tweezers ..smaller than the inside of a half of the inside of 1 pea but after some advise I got on here about fasting him for 3 days I haven't fed him anymore..just peas twice a week but after all that the bloating has never left..he's been sick with something really ever since I got him .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
christiangrenier
Replies
Views
averyNOLA
Replies
Views
Tobias522
Replies
Views