Need Help with Balloon Mollies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeep537

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Guys,

I am a beginner and have never had an aquarium before. Recently (about 6 weeks back) I purchased a new aquarium, 25 liters (6.6 Gallons). I’ve a water filter (sponge) and an air filter hooked up to the tank. I have about an inch of gravel at the bottom. I am sorry for not providing the waters details as I am not really sure where I can get the water tested for PH or other chemicals as it is pretty tough to find such places in India.

Along with the tank, I bought 8 balloon mollies, so far 6 have died and 2 of them are in sick bay. In the main tank, I now have 3 balloon mollies that I bought earlier today.

Since I have had the 8 fish, I have fed them regularly with fish flakes (twice a day) and have changed water every two / three weeks.

One of the sick fish just rests in the bottom of the sick bay tank does not move around much but I can see her gills moving and a long whitish / opaque thread kind of a thing sticking out of her. If I shake the tank a little then she swims around for may be 2 seconds then sinks to the bottom of the tank again. The other one, he just swims around in the tank but does not eat.

A molly died earlier today, her fins started to tear as if they had been shredded but the two sick fish do not have any fin tear signs.

I have added anti fungus and anti Ich medicines to both tanks. Dosage as recommended on the bottle (Medication name Dr Aqua Blue)

Guys I really want to save the last two fish that I have. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sandeep

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

You should read that link I provided you, two or three times probably. Your fish are dying because you probably have high amounts of ammonia in the tank brought on by not performing the nitrogen cycle, too many fish added to such a small tank, and probably over feeding.

You don't need to be treating the tank with any meds unless you seem ICK or fungus signs in your tank. https://www.fishlore.com/Disease_Main.htm.

You should also get a water test kit. You will need it to know what your water parameters are and that will help you maintain healthy fish. Smaller tanks are generally harder to keep, because if something does go wrong and you don't notice it right away, it can spread very quickly.

Last edited:

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I totally agree with Jrobber. I also want to add that your tank is way overstocked, I don't even think one Molly should be in a 6.6g tank. The best thing for a small tank like that is a colony of shrimp or maybe a few teeny fish like white cloud minnows. At this point you'll need to do daily water changes of upwards of 75% and use some sort of ammonia detoxification product. Also make sure to use a water conditioner that detoxifies chlorine and chloramine (I'm assuming that municipal water treatment is similar to the US, but I have no idea). Good luck!

-Lisa

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore, Sandeep. Unfortunely, I agree with Lisa that mollies don't belong in a 6 gallon tank. They produce a lot of waste, and toxic ammonia builds up quickly. I think that you are already overstocked. When you had 8 in such a small space, it is very likely that ammonia poisoning did them in. (There is also a chance that it could have been pH shock - not sure how they were acclimated, or even that they were already sick at the store).

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would also suggest that you read up on the Nitrogen Cycle because that is crucial in fish keeping. You were WAY overstocked with eight ballon mollies in such a small space I don't even have eight in a 25 gallon. I would also do daily water changes instead of doing one every two weeks. A lot of aquarists would disagree, but mollies tend to like freshwater aquarium salt and that might help but be careful not to add to much because that makes them produce too much slime and can be harmful. Also what temperature is your tank at and does it have a heater? Because if it doesn't that could also be stressing them and they would have a hard time surviving since they are tropical fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom