Need help with aquascaping and plants

1. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

Looking for low-light plants that do well with Flourish Excel

I am going the way of liquid CO2, not a CO2 system.

Thanks!

2. skar Member Member

Low light plants probably won't need co2.Unless maybe you don't have fish in the tank to help produce co2. I have all low light plants I only use lighting and liquid ferts. All the plants are thriving.

3. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Excel is good for most plants (aside from Vals, anacharis, and a few others), it will help give your plants a boost and let them outcompete the algae. It also kills algae so it helps there too.

As for some good low light plants....

java moss, java fern, water wisteria, hornwort, frogbit, bacopa, anubias, subwassertang, amazon swords, crypts, just to name a few.

4. SeattleRoy Member Member

Hi Jiggyjigmah,

Here is my low tech, low light (PAR+25), no CO2 10 gallon; I did dose with ferts using the EI method and Excel (glutaraldehyde) for a carbon source. You can find information on the substrate, lighting, and plant species here.

[​IMG]

5. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I run 2 10 watt Daylight bulbs on my 10g heavily planted with no CO2. CO2 is not necessary in this tank as its low light and I limit water changes due to low bioload. I do dose CSM+B 1x wk after 20% water change every 3-weeks. and K2SO4 2x wk. The tank is planted with Dwarf Sags, Crypt Wendtii Florida Sunset, Temple Plant, Java Moss, Willow Moss, 2 small Marimo Moss Balls, 2 Anubias Coffeefolia, Anubias Nana var Petite, Windelov Java Fern and Rotala. Plants are healthy and happy. Tank has been running over a year now.

CO2 supplementation is not necessary in low light setups but that doesn't mean it is not beneficial as plants can benefit from it. It is totally up to the aquatic gardner when it comes to low light setups to add or not add.

6. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

I have a Finnex Ray 2 and will be getting a 36 gallon bowfront. I will be using the Seachem line of Flourish, Flourish Excel (no CO2 system) and Flourish Iron for my Dwarf Lily that I already have. I have a small piece of driftwood (8 inches long) with some anubias tied to it already.
    Inhabitants: One female angel, a molly, a platy, an albino bristlenose pleco ( a piece of cholla for him or her), 6 rummynose tetras, and some nerites. So, I will need some decent swimming room.

I am new to planted tanks, and when starting this tank I want to add things that will work together once their full grown. I know that the dwarf lily can grow nice and wide. It's already is 5 inches in width. I plan on doing a carpet. Possibly Marsilea Minuta.

Can someone help me out with the layout? Provide links to products or layout drawings that you're able to create. I need plants that'll suit that set-up. I need help as I don't know how it will all come together once plants have started to grow out. Any pieces of rock that I could use?

Help a girl out! This stuff can be expensive and I really don't want to mess up. :)

Tank dimensions: 30"L x 15"W x 23.75"H

Thanks!

Oh, and Flourish Root Tabs. Substrate is Eco-Complete.

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Have a look at some of the pictures of members tanks in the photo section to get some ideas.
    I personally prefer asymmetrical layouts but everyone has a different idea so do what pleases your eye.

8. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

Thanks! Would you be able to provide me with a link to the photo section? I'm trying to find it.

Nevermind. I found it!

Having a look through pictures now. If anyone else can chime in, that would be great.

9. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Have a look at this link http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47054

Just a warning, don't dose your ferts without co2 because it can cause an imbalance.

Think about it like this, the 3 things that must be balanced in a planted aquarium are light, co2 and ferts. If you dose ferts you need co2. While nothing seems to happen when doing light and ferts one day something will.

I didn't inject co2 but dosed ferts in my high light tank, I went 3 months without a problem but one day I had a black beard algae breakout which killed one of my anubias plants and reduced my other plants to stubs.

Even just using excel will work.

10. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

So, Flourish, Flourish Excel, and Flourish Iron will be okay?

11. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Yes it would.

12. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

Need help aquascaping a 20 long

I know that this is sacrilege, but for one tank, I was planning on going with fake plants and decor. I really like the fluval line of artificial plants and decor. I especially like the pier post (see link below). The substrate is going to be play sand. This is a tank for my cories.

How would you layout the tank (included would be the pier post)? I would like to use their products (again, see link).

I want to purchase this knowing exactly what to do, instead of wasting money on stuff that I won't end up needing. So, I need a list of what to purchase.

Thanks!

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/lifestyle/aquarium-decor/

13. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

If I were you, I would google image "aquascape" and see what you like. The only real rules I'd follow would be small decor up front with big in back. :)

Mixing some red in with different shades of green will keep it interesting and natural looking.

14. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I agree with the idea of including some red, also. I think it really makes the tank pop. Honestly, it's up to you and depends on the tastes you have.
    I know play sand is a big hassle to clean so watch out for that, too!
    It's hard to suggest how to decorate because it depends on your tastes. :)
    here is an example of my tank with some red in some of the plants. These are all fake silk plants. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/members-fish-tanks/173329-new-tank.html

15. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

16. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've seen some really good aquascapes done totally with fake plants some you really can't tell they're fake.
    As far as layouts go I prefer them non symmetrical, you want your eye to be drawn into the tank to see the fish not distracted by decor.
    Do what is pleasing to you, we all have different ideas :)

17. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

I have a Finnex Ray 2 (7000K) light for a 36 G bowfront, plant suggestions?

-10,000k/Actinic dual LED strip
    -20watts

Toss out some plant ideas. I like a mix of color. Already have a dwarf lily that will go in there.

Thanks.

Also should add, no CO2 system. Just will be added Flourish Excel.

18. renthus Well Known Member Member

Get yourself some hygro corymbosa. I've got some in my 20g and it's growing BEAUTIFULLY. Indian red swords are also really nice.

19. PedroThePie Member Member

Rotalas are beautiful, any species really. Really nice if you want reds. Water sprite is nice too, has a unique look as well. Dwarf cardinals add purple and are good for mid and fore ground. I love Crinums too, very unique looking as well. Water primrose is a nice addition as well.
    I've heard great things about that light, some say its even overkill. You may want to look into DIY co2 or get a pressurized system with that.

20. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

Looking into a co2 system now.