Need help with API test kit alternative

daviem

Reaction score
Hi none of my API test kits work on my aquarium water, it’s a brackish setup using reverse osmosis water with added instant ocean for brackish salinity and seachem to return the GH as my fish need a high GH after weeks of cycling adding stability prime etc feeding the fish etc nothing changes on the test kits, nitrite doesn’t show, ammonia doesn’t show, the ph is the same always on the low ph test it turns blue the vile and on high range ph stays slightly orange, I do have a seachem ammonia badge that does work and changes but whilst I can’t test any parameters using the API test kit I don’t know what’s happening with the water, is there a reliable alternative test kit than API for brackish water? Also there’s no GH test kit I can find for saltwater aquariums any suggestions of how to test the GH for brackish water.

OP
D

daviem

Reaction score
Hi thanks but I still can’t find one that tests the GH in saltwater/brackishwater aquariums so how do people test? I have been told a TDS meter is useless as it measures everything in the water not just the GH

OP
D

daviem

Reaction score
Thanks but API GH test clearly states it doesn’t work with saltwater both tests and drops and strips. I’m actually concerned there’s seems to be no way of testing GH with salt added to the aquarium.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok ur right according to online you don't need to know your gh for saltwater since your salt mix will keep the gh where it needs to be. The salt will add a higher gh to the aquarium.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My guess is as long as you use the same amount of saltat theright salinity it should be the same

OP
D

daviem

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I spoke to API and they confirmed for brackish water to use the the fresh water master kit I already have not the saltwater one. I hope the GH is ok but there should be some info on its level I mean if you use tap water it already has a GH so the salt would add more GH to that.

LightBrownPillow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
daviem said:
Thanks for the replies, I spoke to API and they confirmed for brackish water to use the the fresh water master kit I already have not the saltwater one. I hope the GH is ok but there should be some info on its level I mean if you use tap water it already has a GH so the salt would add more GH to that.
FYI with the API hardness test kit, if you are putting in drop after drop and never seeing any color change, that indicates the GH/KH (whichever you are measuring) is too low to be measured, essentially 0. This confused the **** out of me before learning that fact.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom