Need Help With Angels...

Fricknfrack

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 3 angelfish total, 2 KoI ( Bruno and Barbara) and 1 Marble (Raymond).. I do not know their sex, but I know there is at least one female, one of the Koi. All three started out in the 50 gallon. About 3 months ago, the two KoI had eggs and were protecting them like crazy, so I figured they had paired up and I should move the outcast. I decided to move the marble, who I thought was the bully, due to the fact that one of the KoI was getting picked on and his pectoral fins were damaged. A week ago, I moved Raymond the marble into the 38. He seemed fine and wasn't being a bully anymore except for the occasion chase of a platy. After the move, the KoI pair became even more aggressive and Bruno was getting beat up, often hiding under leaves of the Amazon Sword plant. One day I walked over to the tank and he was upside down under the plant, trying to escape Barbara. At this point, I decided to move Bruno the abused KoI angel into the 38 and move Raymond back into the 50 lol. So now....... Barbara is hiding behind the HOB and won't come out, not even to eat and Raymond is constantly chasing her/him. I don't know what to do with these creatures... help! I need advice.. FYI.. I will upgrade my 50 at some point.. not ready yet.. just waiting for the loaches to get bigger.. I'm afraid that I am traumatizing them more even though I am trying to help...

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you are not trying to breed angels, its best to keep all males. This is the most peaceful method. Males fight for two reasons: females and territory. You can eliminate their fights over females by not keeping any. This is what I do. I wait until the angels are old enough to sex and remove the females and keep the males. In a 50 gallon you can keep 4 angels. If they are all males, fighting will be minimal.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is why keeping multiple angels is a gamble and a challenge. (and 3 is the worst possible number)

Who is with who now and in which tanks?

Barbara needs to be put on his/her own immediately. Sounds like he/she will be dead in no time based on your description.

OP
Fricknfrack

Fricknfrack

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wish I knew who was male and who was female. Anyone good at sexing them?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fricknfrack said:
I wish I knew who was male and who was female. Anyone good at sexing them?
You need to see their breeding tubes. And you should be able to see them it they are spawning regularly.

Male has tiny pointy breeding tube. The female's is wider and rounder and comes out very far right before spawning.

New Threads