Need help with amonia in new tank

stickhutch

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought 4 different types of fish today; 4 guppys, 1 albino cory, 3 german blue rams and a butterfly loach. I have had water in my fish tank for a few months and I have done tests using a tetra 6 in 1. All the results were good.

When it came to putting the fish in, I realised that you shouldn't put them all in at the same time due to amonia being produced and harming them. Despite realising this, I still went ahead with putting them in. I also added the plants before the fish. The plants were in a tank when I bought them from the store.

I will be heading back to the store to buy an amonia testing kit and items that help to reduce these levels.

Should I worry about the fishes well being over night?

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
Without knowing how established your cycle might be, I'd do a 50% water change.
Did you feed your cycle during the time before you added fish? Or do you mean you just had the filter running? Without an ammonia source to feed bacteria you won't get a cycle.
Don't forget to use temp matched dechlorinated water. Prime as a conditioner would be my recommendation.

Dante09

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think your fish will be fine giving that their not to big so the bio loads wont be too bad. What size tank? And you are right you should add them slowly such as buy one type of fish every week so they have time to adjust to the surroundings before they’re all cramped in at once.

OP
S

stickhutch

Reaction score
Dante09 said:
I think your fish will be fine giving that their not to big so the bio loads wont be too bad. What size tank? And you are right you should add them slowly such as buy one type of fish every week so they have time to adjust to the surroundings before they’re all cramped in at once.
Thanks for the quick reply, I have a 10 gallon tank.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't believe you ever said if you had fish in the tank. You said you had water in the tank for a few months. Is that right? No fish? Whether adding those fish is going to cause a problem of adding too many at once, it completely depends on the size of your tank. The fish you mentioned would push the maximum for a 10G.

Did you cycle the tank?

It sounds like you're using test strips, which are notorious for being unreliable. Instead of getting an ammonia test kit (in my opinion ammonia is the most important thing you can test for, and I'm skeptical about why manufacturers don't include an ammonia test with their kits). I'd recommend you get an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It uses test tubes and indicator solution, and usually gives pretty accurate readings. Make sure you read and follow the testing instructions. Often people just drop the drops in and do the readings. If you don't read the instructions you're not going to get accurate results.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not you should read up on it right away. If your tank is not cycled, that fish load is going to make it crash within a matter of a couple of days.

Always, water changes and more water changes, make sure you're using water conditioner. Once you have a reliable test kit you can do water changes to control the toxin levels and keep them where you want them to be. For example, if you have 1 ppm of ammonia, a 50% water change will lower it to .5 ppm.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
I also want to touch on a few stocking issues. The albino cory should not be in a 10g. They are also schooling fish and need groups of 6+. I would return him if you can, they get too large to have a group of 6 in a 10g, but you can do a smaller species such as pygmy corys. The rams are also too big for a 10g. They generally need 20-30g especially for 3. The loach is the worst of all needing a tank closer to 40 gallons. I would return most of them and get a few more guppies.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but there is no way this tank will be suitable for the inhabitants health and well being.

New Threads