Need help with a very sick rescue Betta

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone,

We got our 1st rescue Betta about 30 min ago.

We were at Petco yesterday and saw this little guy, went back today and just didn't have the heart to leave him there to die.. We don't know what's wrong with him, but his head seems normal size about to the flaring gills, but the rest of him is super thin. I took a pic, but the curve of the cup distorts him a lot. I know at this petco, all they feed the Bettas is freeze-dried brine shrimp.. he lies on his side but will get up & swim around occasionally. I'm attaching a couple pics - does anyone know what he has & what we need to nurse him back to health? I put some pea in his cup to see if he'd eat in case he was constipated so bad he hasn't been able to eat, but no interest yet.

Can you believe the cold-hearted manager wouldn't even give the slightest discount on him? Just said to pick a livelier one.. Heartless and stupid - a dead betta = $0.00, so we went and bought him anyway.. I tell you, if we had another pet store, we'd never go back to that Petco.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Well, about 15 minutes ago he passed on. We had him just a couple hours or so, but are sad to see him go. He would've been a beautiful peach Betta, if he'd made it. I guess we just got to him way too late.. maybe a week or 2 earlier & we could've helped him. But you know what, we don't regret spending $4 on him, at least he died being cared for, instead of shoved in the back of a shelf at petco. We named him "Little Fighter" for how much spirit he had even at the end.

Bonochick

Well Known
Reaction score
Oh, I'm so sorry. Poor little guy. :'( I love that you at least tried to give him a good life. I always feel so sad when I see sick fish at the stores.

OP
C

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bonochick said:
Oh, I'm so sorry. Poor little guy. :'( I love that you at least tried to give him a good life. I always feel so sad when I see sick fish at the stores.
Yea, we'll be getting a new Q tank & all in time and be back to rescue another one.. that's all the business they'll get out of us - especially as the DFS site is so much lower in prices than petco.

New Threads