Need help with a premature platy fry HELP NOW

fishbreeeder

Hi

This morning I woke up to see a few fry. Sadly I realized that there where only 2 and both where premature with big yolk sacs. One got eaten right then and I knew Ihad to try and save the last one. Now he is in the breeder tank with no gravel. Should I get first bites to feed him or can he eat crushed fish food? How can I help him live?

Thanks

Jerriel

fishbreeeder said:
Hi

This morning I woke up to see a few fry. Sadly I realized that there where only 2 and both where premature with big yolk sacs. One got eaten right then and I knew Ihad to try and save the last one. Now he is in the breeder tank with no gravel. Should I get first bites to feed him or can he eat crushed fish food? How can I help him live?

Thanks
if he still has his yolk sac and was just born today then wait 3 days till you feed it, I have raised many platy fry and although I'm no expert, I know some things. I would recommend getting the first bites and any small particle-like food you can feed it. I waited until they got a little bigger when feeding flakes with my fry because at a young age they didn't seem to care for it, then again my second batch immediately noticed the crushed flakes. If you're going to feed flakes make sure to crush them and feed small amounts, remove uneaten food. Do water changes every so often to make sure it grows big and healthy.

Apoorvthegreat

fishbreeeder said:
Hi

Thanks
Observe your platy fry. As soon as it uses up it's yolk sac, feed it. There's no saying when that'll happen, but it usually happens within 1-2 days. Do u know how long the mommy was pregnant?

fishbreeeder

Thanks.

Jerriel said:
if he still has his yolk sac and was just born today then wait 3 days till you feed it, I have raised many platy fry and although I'm no expert, I know some things. I would recommend getting the first bites and any small particle-like food you can feed it. I waited until they got a little bigger when feeding flakes with my fry because at a young age they didn't seem to care for it, then again my second batch immediately noticed the crushed flakes. If you're going to feed flakes make sure to crush them and feed small amounts, remove uneaten food. Do water changes every so often to make sure it grows big and healthy.
thanks

Apoorvthegreat said:
Observe your platy fry. As soon as it uses up it's yolk sac, feed it. There's no saying when that'll happen, but it usually happens within 1-2 days. Do u know how long the mommy was pregnant?
Thanks. If only I knew who the momma was

Do you guys think that, if its a girl I can keep in with my 2 male and 5 female plates in a 15 g. Pls help and Tnx

Do you think it will make it?

Jerriel

fishbreeeder said:
Do you think it will make it?
As long as you take care of it, it should survive.
don't put it with bigger fish until it's big enough not to fit in their mouths.

fishbreeeder

Jerriel said:
As long as you take care of it, it should survive.
don't put it with bigger fish until it's big enough not to fit in their mouths.
Ok. It looks like it has a little blood spots. Probably from my other fry pecking it. Should i add a little medafix?

Jerriel

fishbreeeder said:
Ok. It looks like it has a little blood spots. Probably from my other fry pecking it. Should i add a little medafix?
Hm, I'm going, to be honest, I don't know what to do about pecked Fry, I always place my Females alone once they look ready and remove them after they look finished. I think you should be safe I guess.

jkkgron2

fishbreeeder said:
I wouldn’t. Melafix can damage gills and I wouldn’t risk it with a young fry.

emeraldking

I would leave the fry alone by itself. It should be okay, And it doesn't seem premature. It's quite normal when a fry still has got the yolk sac. As long as it got its yolk sac, don't bother to feed it.

fishbreeeder

jkkgron2 said:
I wouldn’t. Melafix can damage gills and I wouldn’t risk it with a young fry.
emeraldking said:
I would leave the fry alone by itself. It should be okay, And it doesn't seem premature. It's quite normal when a fry still has got the yolk sac. As long as it got its yolk sac, don't bother to feed it.
Apoorvthegreat said:
Jerriel said:
Hm, I'm going, to be honest, I don't know what to do about pecked Fry, I always place my Females alone once they look ready and remove them after they look finished. I think you should be safe I guess.
tnx, all. with your help, the fry is still alive, and not alone. I found another one. they both are hiding in the fake floating plant. how long should they be in the breeder box? can I add just a few drops of medafix? let me know ASAP

emeraldking said:
ok but his yolk sac is a small rould ball

jkkgron2

fishbreeeder said:
tnx, all. with your help, the fry is still alive, and not alone. I found another one. they both are hiding in the fake floating plant. how long should they be in the breeder box? can I add just a few drops of medafix? let me know ASAP
Don’t add in any melafix. It can damage the frys gills and won’t help with treating anything. For the most part it only negatively affects fish with a labyrinth organ but in rare cases it can damage the gills of any fish and fry are sensitive so it’s not a good idea.

fishbreeeder

update, both babies are doing better. the yolk sacs got a lot smaller. can I start feeding them crushed up food?

FishBoy101

fishbreeeder said:
update, both babies are doing better. the yolk sacs got a lot smaller. can I start feeding them crushed up food?
Yes, and make sure that they will eat it.

fishbreeeder

emeraldking

fishbreeeder said:
ok but his yolk sac is a small rould ball
That's quite normal...

fishbreeeder

Apoorvthegreat said:
Jerriel said:
jkkgron2 said:
Don’t add in any melafix. It can damage the frys gills and won’t help with treating anything. For the most part it only negatively affects fish with a labyrinth organ but in rare cases it can damage the gills of any fish and fry are sensitive so it’s not a good idea.
FishBoy101 said:
Yes, and make sure that they will eat it.
emeraldking said:
That's quite normal...
Thank you, emeraldking, FishBoy101, jkkgron2, and Jerriel. I don't know how to properly express my gratitude. Because of you, the yolk sacs disappeared and both fries are still alive! One of the fries has spots and the other has a Micky mouse pattern. Because of YOU, they are alive and will grow up healthy, beautiful fish!

fishbreeeder

Oh, and I found a BUNCH more in my tank.

fishbreeeder

can I move the babies to my 8 gallon?

Jerriel

fishbreeeder said:
can I move the babies to my 8 gallon?
depends, are there other live creatures in that tank?
is it cycled?

fishbreeeder

Jerriel said:
depends, are there other live creatures in that tank?
is it cycled?
No other living things! And after it's cycled?

Jerriel

fishbreeeder said:
No other living things! And after it's cycled?
After it's cycled, if you just keep the fry in there they should be fine.

fishbreeeder

Well, I just saw one of the fries and he is GORGEOUS! He/She is a white wag with black spots!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom